Pass XS-150's

Sounding a little rough today with all of the new equipment installed. About 20 hours in.......long way to go.

Sweet Frank. Patience is a virtue for breakin. My amps are two month old demo's Pass's President was using, so they should be broken in and ready to sing. They go in tomorrow finally.

They designed them to be stacked. That's the way they use them too. They've got some special footers I've never seen on amps before.

Cool. Sounds like they put some serious thought into it. They certainly take up less real estate that way.;)

Sweet Frank. Patience is a virtue for breakin. My amps are two month old demo's Pass's President was using, so they should be broken in and ready to sing. They go in tomorrow finally.

Enjoy! They really are massive! At least I can run them 24/7 and speed things up a little. They're power hogs too. Drawing over 18A. The XA100.5 drew 5.5A.

33e Meter freaks.jpg

33 PASS Xs amp stack.jpg

33a Pass system.jpg

33c Pass amps stack.jpg

33d Pass Xs amps back.jpg

Enjoy! They really are massive! At least I can run them 24/7 and speed things up a little. They're power hogs too. Drawing over 18A. The XA100.5 drew 5.5A.

That's a lot. I expect the 150's to draw about 10 amps. Does that sound about right ? They consume 500 watts vs. 1000 watts with the 300's.

That's a lot. I expect the 150's to draw about 10 amps. Does that sound about right ? They consume 500 watts vs. 1000 watts with the 300's.

Maybe even a little less than 10A. They do get hot as well. Not like the ARC REF610s I had but they are pretty hot to the touch. More so than the XA100.5.

Frank, Congratulations. Could you please describe the rest of your system? Analog, digital and which preamp? You must have great sound. Thanks.

Hi Peter. Preamp is Pass XP30, phono Pass XP25, SME 30/12 with V12 arm and Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, CD is Playback Designs MPS-5, speaker cables and ICs are Kubala Elation and all power cords are Shunyata Anaconda Ztron, Torus 240v, 60A AVR conditioner on the amps and Audience Ar6-TSS conditioner that I just sent back to Audience for a new filter upgrade.

Thank you Frank. Our systems are actually fairly similar. I have Pass XA160.5, XP-20, Xono, SME 30/12, SME V-12 and Air Tight Supreme, and Magico Mini 2 speakers. I have found that the systems that use all-Pass electronics are more successful than those that try to mix and match Pass amps with preamps and phono stages from different manufacturers. That's a lot of Pass boxes, nine in total, I think. I just upgraded to the SME 30/12 from the Model 10. There is not much discussion about these big SME tables with the 12" arms, but I think they are really top performers. Please add some comments about the sound of the XS300s as you get to know them. Congratulations again. You are a genuine Pass Labs fan.

Hi Peter, while I'm using ARC's REF 250 to power my Mini 2, Im sure your XA 160.5 does a hell of a job feeding the power hungry Mini.

Hello Dafos, Yes, the XA160.5 sound excellent with the Mini 2. I had the XA100.5, but when I added the Mini 2, the new speakers needed more power, so I traded them in for the 160.5. Big improvement. I can only imagine what my Mini 2s would sound like driven by a new pair of XS300s. It's nice to dream.

I think J. Valin of TAS liked the Mini 2 with ARC (Ref 210) electronics. Pass/Magico don't get paired up much which surprises me because I think they work very well together. I think it is a dealership thing.

" I can only imagine what my Mini 2s would sound like driven by a new pair of XS300s. It's nice to dream."

;)

Hello Dafos, Yes, the XA160.5 sound excellent with the Mini 2. I had the XA100.5, but when I added the Mini 2, the new speakers needed more power, so I traded them in for the 160.5. Big improvement. I can only imagine what my Mini 2s would sound like driven by a new pair of XS300s. It's nice to dream.

I think J. Valin of TAS liked the Mini 2 with ARC (Ref 210) electronics. Pass/Magico don't get paired up much which surprises me because I think they work very well together. I think it is a dealership thing.

Peter,

Can I ask you what cables you are using with the Mini II's? BTW, happily my dealer stocks the Mini II and Audio Research - I can certify that the Mini's sound impressive with the Ref610T!

Christian - I am sure that photo from Frank turn your Audiophile bit on!!! let us know how it sounds with your Wilson speakers once installed... Nelson is indeed a nice guy and I am sure that has helped the company to deliver such fine products.

Hi Microstrip, I'm using Harmonic Technology Pro 9 speaker cables. I find them to be nicely balanced if not the highest in resolution. They are also a good value. Cables are the only part of my system which I have not upgraded in the last ten years. Speaker cables and interconnects are next on my list. I think Valin reviewed the Mini 2s with the ARC Ref 610. I had thought they were the Ref 210. I'm sure they sound great with those powerful tube monos.

Sounding a little rough today with all of the new equipment installed. About 20 hours in.......long way to go.

Holy cow! What a system! Those amps, with their power supplies, make my XA-100.5's look diminutive, in comparison! Big congrats!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing