Paul McGowan Prefers Digital

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Sound recording for sound recording...youtube sound delivery; I much prefer the other one, sourced from the turntable.

This one here above (it don't matter to me the source); it sounds constricted, distorted, broken, old analgesic losing all its effect, painful, jittery, scary and neurotic. I'm just being honest on how I feel listening to it from that video.

Do you feel some verisimilitude to what I just experienced?
I feel like the first recording is closer to real feeling. The second recording is not due to still not addressing digital weakness.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I'm curious, Peter. Which part of Hieukm’s post did you think was excellent? All of it? Because I could not find a single thing he said that contained any logic or real knowledge. Maybe it’s just me but all I read is reckless abandon. Oh, well.

Stehno, I agree with his comments that the two piano sounds are quite different. I also like his suggestion that you start your own thread with your own music videos to discuss your system and receive comments from others. This may be more productive or effective than dropping your videos in someone else's thread. I particularly like his suggestion to make a video of Mendelssohn violin and directly compare it to Tang's analog recording video. Tang's video is on his AS2000 thread. It's a good one. That would be quite interesting to hear the differences.

I did not particularly find Hieukm's post filled with reckless abandon. What do you mean by that?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I feel like the first recording is closer to real feeling. The second recording is not due to still not addressing digital weakness.

The two examples you provided are super easy. ...Analog piano reproduction by a long shot.

But!

If one was to set up his digital rig with a source that is clean of jitter and distortion-free we might have a better handle on this stuff and understand why Paul prefers digital. I bet his digital rig is well set up and clean.
I also bet he prefers tape over vinyl.

This; the best quality music recordings are both on analog and digital. Analog could be expensive, very.
Digital is much cheaper in general, easier to set up, easier to clean up, less fuss.

But this too; the access to some music we love is easier in one format than the other.
And if it gets too complicated there's always hires streaming/downloading.

To play super safe: All of it ... Analog and Digital. There's no limit in this hobby when we're open to everything the audio (music recordings) world has to offer.

It's nice we can buy anything we wish for, and much much more. We're in this hobby for the emotions.
Without emotions we would be like robots, machines without a soul. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hieukm

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
I like both but for the last many months listen to analog mostly. Opened a new copy of Ashkenazy doing Rachmaninoff concertos and found the sound with the Koetsu Onyx way too warm, thick, dull. Atypically for a symphonic recording, my Transfiguration Proteus stepped up and sounded much better to my ears. This is why I keep two arms and cartridges ready to go. They're like musical instruments, suitable to a particular music, unique to each one.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
When I listen to videos including my own made on a iPhone and transferred to YouTube. The only markers I use is clarity, the level of non congestion and openess. You can get an idea of tonal quality sometimes.
Digital and I get a glimpse of the soundstage. These videos tend to give me idea of the markers I use for a very personal evaluation. Unless your there in the flesh... it can only be useful for the owner.

Last edited:

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
When I listen to videos including my own made on a iPhone and transferred to YouTube. The only markers I use is clarity, the level of non congestion and openess. You can get an idea of tonal quality sometimes.
Digital and I get a glimpse of the soundstage. These videos tend to give me idea of the markers I use for a very personal evaluation. Unless your there in the flesh... it can only be useful for the owner.
I can tell alot by listeniing to your system. I actually learned alot by listening to your system. The sound is free of stress, very dynamic and fast. Give real feeling of ambience. Tonal is nice. Much to the benefit of your grounding. :)

Reactions: RogerD

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like both but for the last many months listen to analog mostly. Opened a new copy of Ashkenazy doing Rachmaninoff concertos and found the sound with the Koetsu Onyx way too warm, thick, dull. Atypically for a symphonic recording, my Transfiguration Proteus stepped up and sounded much better to my ears. This is why I keep two arms and cartridges ready to go. .
I would not put too much blame on the Koetsu. Last week I was listening to that album too. One with Previn LSO. It did not last five minutes. That album is just not every good at all.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would not put too much blame on the Koetsu. Last week I was listening to that album too. One with Previn LSO. It did not last five minutes. That album is just not every good at all.

Kind regards,
Tang

That is true but you can evaluate a cart on a mix of recordings. He is right about the koetsu in most cases. There can be a rare system set up (as with anything in analog) where it might work

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I can tell alot by listeniing to your system. I actually learned alot by listening to your system. The sound is free of stress, very dynamic and fast. Give real feeling of ambience. Tonal is nice. Much to the benefit of your grounding. :)
Appreciate the comment...I came to understand how to listen and with grounding (the quick response) why it so important to me and my system.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stephen Colbert prefers vinyl.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Reactions: Mikem53

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California

Kind regards,
Tang
I'm not blaming the Koetsu at all. On the contrary, it, along with my Anna, is my go to cartridge for symphonic or large scale or dense music. Similarly I like the Transfiguration Proteus for chamber and small ensemble classical, jazz etc. In this case, unexpectedly, the Ashkenazy just didn't work at all with the Koetsu but was complemented by the Transfiguration.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
OMG! There's 36 pages of this.

Yes, and it's not dead yet. And once you count all the other previous threads and posts on this very topic, could be (at least) 10,000 posts or more.

Now that's amazing.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just another Mockingbird MSM Pimp...I don’t watch much TV.. too old and wise to listen to all the BS....
You realize I was joking

Reactions: RogerD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
No politics were intended. For some reason all of my post did not come through. I went through the trouble of finding the exact point of the quote. It is @6:52. You may slide your cursor along the video and play the relavant portion only. Perhaps I will learn hoe to edit that video. There is probably a You Tube video on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
NO POLITICS GENTLEMEN, PLEASE.

Oh please, that was clearly a joke. That's what repeated, same old same old threads like this need. PM prefers digital. So what.

IMO, the best post on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing