PCM vs. DSD on Select II

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
"The DSD Optimized is a DSD to PCM conversion using our own DSD decimation algorithm, it’s not what you normally encounter. Many people have reported that they prefer it to Native." -- Jonathan Gullman, MSB

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Check this out on SII:

Roon set to Native, Fixed Vol. Control, DSD Max Sample Rate 512.
Select II set to Native

Now try and mute a DSD track...you can't ! You can mute PCM tracks. If u turn on DSP Volume in Roon u can mute all resolutions with DAC set to Native. Not sure what is going on but it's awful inconvenient

You can mute any resolution track if Select II is set to Optimized with Roon set to Fixed Volume.....

Its either something in the MSB firmware or a problem with the MSB/Roon S II settings but turning on DSP Volume doesn't appeal to me....

MSB in Native sounds more life like to me.

Reactions: Alpinist

DrPo

Apr 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
If you want to do a proper DSD - PCM comparison, you can use one track of our My Reel Club MRC1902 Gabor Varga Quartet recording.

I made one track, originally recorded in DSD256 and mixed live from 8 channel, including one stereo ribbon mic, no mastering , available in other DSD and PCM rates, (down)converted by Hqpayer Pro and its advanced algorithms:

https://we.tl/t-NUZsotqFSm

This is a 60+ dB dynamics recording with no dynamics processing of any kind. As pure as it gets. So it can show any difference in the PCM and DSD playback chain properly. I think :).
Hi, I came late to this thread as I experimented myself recently with the two settings. Any chance to make this(se) file(s)available?

thanks in advance

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing