Perfect8, The Cube, a sneak preview, out of the box imaging, extreme immersion

I would hope so but something tells me that you may need to purchase a special cleaner that runs a few hundred bucks for a small bottle!:)

I would hope so but something tells me that you may need to purchase a special cleaner that runs a few hundred bucks for a small bottle!:)

streak free at the molecular level. Doesn't glass resonate ? That material raises a red flag for me as far as speaker enclosures designed to eliminate resonance and driver back wave internal reflections.

streak free at the molecular level. Doesn't glass resonate ? That material raises a red flag for me as far as speaker enclosures designed to eliminate resonance and driver back wave internal reflections.

I am no techie, but don't nearly all materials resonate at some frequency? Wood, Aluminum, perhaps even composites like resin wood or Rockport's poured mixture? In the case of this glass, is it tempered glass perhaps? With close to 4x the "strength" of regular glass due to treatment with extremely high heat and/or chemicals, i think tempered glass may be denser? Would this alter its resonance characteristics as well?

Audio insanity continues to grow exponentially...sigh

I am no techie, but don't nearly all materials resonate at some frequency? Wood, Aluminum, perhaps even composites like resin wood or Rockport's poured mixture? In the case of this glass, is it tempered glass perhaps? With close to 4x the "strength" of regular glass due to treatment with extremely high heat and/or chemicals, i think tempered glass may be denser? Would this alter its resonance characteristics as well?

I think Wilson and their x brace resin composite structure's resonance freq. is below what we can hear. I don't know if there are published stats on this or not. I we'll tell you that my family business is a global producer of various phenolic resins used in industry.Perhaps we are in Wilson's depending on who they source their resin compounds from. We only sell that stuff in metric tons, so Wilson wouldn't be buying stuff from us direct.

I think Wilson and their x brace resin composite structure's resonance freq. is below what we can hear. I don't know if there are published stats on this or not. I we'll tell you that my family business is a global producer of various phenolic resins used in industry.Perhaps we are in Wilson's depending on who they source their resin compounds from. We only sell that stuff in metric tons, so Wilson wouldn't be buying stuff from us direct.
Cool! Good to know!! Thanks.

Yes and IIRC Jonas told us the story in the Vegas video... they invented a resonance control substance that is part of the glass sandwich. When you give them the knuckle test they are dead and your knuckles hurt. I'm listening to them as I type and I remain very impressed. The sound simply blooms from the recorded event.

Hi Peter, seems to me that while the Cube does not use 'splash' in the same way that the Zephrin does, it does take advantage of the same human hearing rule by creating short delays in the room through the use of drivers firing to the side or rear. The ear/brain system uses the multiple delays to improve image location by making a copy of the first sound it hears (direct radiation) and then looking for additional similar sounds following it to create a better idea of where the sound came from. So a speaker employing this technique should have a wider, deeper, more palpable soundstage.

We use a speaker here at the shop made by a company called High Emotion Audio (the Bella Twin, last I look not on their website, but an easy 16 ohm load at 93 db 1 at 1 watt/1 meter), which employs a unique patented tweeter that has nearly as much output 90 degrees off-axis as it does straight on. It too has exceptional soundstage qualities as it is nearly omnidirectional above 2KHz.

Hi Peter, seems to me that while the Cube does not use 'splash' in the same way that the Zephrin does, it does take advantage of the same human hearing rule by creating short delays in the room through the use of drivers firing to the side or rear. The ear/brain system uses the multiple delays to improve image location by making a copy of the first sound it hears (direct radiation) and then looking for additional similar sounds following it to create a better idea of where the sound came from. So a speaker employing this technique should have a wider, deeper, more palpable soundstage.

We use a speaker here at the shop made by a company called High Emotion Audio (the Bella Twin, last I look not on their website, but an easy 16 ohm load at 93 db 1 at 1 watt/1 meter), which employs a unique patented tweeter that has nearly as much output 90 degrees off-axis as it does straight on. It too has exceptional soundstage qualities as it is nearly omnidirectional above 2KHz.

Interesting. I am compiling questions for the design team and will include this comment of philosophy in my interviewing. In fact, I urge readers hear to ask questions to help (me) better interview the Perfect8 team. I have to say (no pun intended) they are a "force" to be reckoned with.

Yes and IIRC Jonas told us the story in the Vegas video... they invented a resonance control substance that is part of the glass sandwich. When you give them the knuckle test they are dead and your knuckles hurt. I'm listening to them as I type and I remain very impressed. The sound simply blooms from the recorded event.

Sand is pretty dense, so melted sand into glass with some damping layer adhesive, ect may be well be well damped. Are these enclosures multi layer glass composite or one solid piece of glass per side of the cube ?

Peter,

How do these compare with the YG's you recently had in your room?

A box speaker that compares favorably with the MBL 101's. That's a feat.

GG

Peter,

How do these compare with the YG's you recently had in your room?

A box speaker that compares favorably with the MBL 101's. That's a feat.

GG

I would say the Sonja's have better impact and slam while the Cubes have better imaging. There are two very different designs but both offer a very high degree of reality.

I wonder if the better sound stage imaging effect is being heard through these & the "splash" speakers is related to the fact that they are giving our hearing perception a quicker/better impression of the acoustics of the listening room?

When you think about it we are listening to playback which has natural or studio created venue acoustics & we are playing this back in our own room acoustic. Sorting one out from the other is a necessary first step in our perception of sound. Being able to do this easily & quickly could well correlate to a sense of relaxation with the playback & a sense of envelopment & intelligibility

I wonder what the design team think of this concept?

I remember the first loudspeakers I ever heard that I found spooky real. They were old 6" tall Beveridge stats. Pillars they were and the panels were designed to fire at each other and not towards the listener. Some years ago, I heard about a certain speaker brand (FAL) that also fired at each other and folks were saying, again, spooky real. Is there something to this layout of mids from the left directly summing in as short a relative distance as possible? Quite intriguing to me. I've always preferred loudspeakers I could walk around and get fairly even frequency response. I think it is a prerequisite of sorts to get a "walk in" as opposed to a "laid out" sound stage.

That would be my question Peter, why did they elect to choose this particular driver layout?

Status report.

Ten days with the Perfect8 Cubes. System: AudioNet Max monos, AudioNet GR2 linestage, AudioNet DNC, Motif MP11 phono,Triangle Art table/arm, wires by Prana, Kubala Sosna, Tara Labs, Purist Audio Design and EnKlein.

Right now I am listening to Andreas Vollenweider's White Winds, redbook rip and I've never heard a sound system with such astonishing phase capture. As the layers of the mix evolve, the listening room changes in shape and dimension. At one moment the sound is in front of me and the next moment I'm engulfed in it, sitting in the middle of a stage with instruments surrounding me.

This is the most realism I've ever heard from an audio system. I am so moved by the system that I'm going to film sneak preview part 2. I think I'll play some Art Zoyd for everyone so hold on to your hats!

Here it is...

Interesting perspective Peter. Many will not find being surrounded by instruments realistic. Sounds like those that appreciate the MBL sound will like these speakers though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu