Phono Stage and XLRs

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
So balanced amplifiers that are push pull have an advantage. Being that push pull amps have quite an advantage in producing power from a set of tubes, will balanced in this case augment the quality of the signal in respect to improving the notch distortion? What other advantages?
You are right, we could be wrong. But why do you think you can't be wrong?
You are caught up in forum chatter that has very little to do with reality.
1. Why are balanced amplifiers preferred? Write a few well-argued sentences.
2. You write about the power advantage of PP amplifiers with the same set of tubes, but this applies only to AB or B modes, but SE amplifiers do not work in these modes.
The two output tubes in the PP amplifier in class A mode give the same power as in the SE amplifier. But the PP amplifier has the problem of the first Watt, at low powers they have problems with the reproduction of low frequencies.
It does not depend on the type of input signal.

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
If you are using transformers, the circuit driving the output can be single-ended. The output of a balanced source or component is supposed to be floating as opposed to PP. So there's no issue regarding notch distortion, as we can see in the case of a phono cartridge.

The main advantages are
1) ground loop immunity
2) interconnect cable artifact immunity
3) overall lower noise since signals impinged on the cable are rejected at the receiving end (Common Mode Rejection).
Floating output has nothing to do with balanced output. Learn the basics of electrical engineering, what is a balanced signal.

Reactions: adyc and Salectric

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Floating output has nothing to do with balanced output. Learn the basics of electrical engineering, what is a balanced signal.
:D Did that a long time ago. We've been building balanced line products for home stereo longer than anyone else in the world; literally we introduced high end audio and balanced line operation to each other. You might want to read this page from Rane Audio Scroll down and take a look at the diagram of of the single ended input driving a transformer. You'll see that the balanced output is floating. Like a phono cartridge. We've been doing for decades and now you're saying it isn't so??

I have an RCA mic preamp from the early 1950s. It also employs the floating input (no center tap on the input transformer) and floating output. So this practice goes back over 70 years and solid state gear I have in my recording studio employs line transformers in the same way. Balanced line, executed properly, ignores ground, which is to say it often floats. Were this not so, I imagine this balanced line driver chip would have no function...

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
Did that a long time ago. We've been building balanced line products for home stereo longer than anyone else in the world; literally we introduced high end audio and balanced line operation to each other. You might want to read this page from Rane Audio Scroll down and take a look at the diagram of of the single ended input driving a transformer. You'll see that the balanced output is floating. Like a phono cartridge. We've been doing for decades and now you're saying it isn't so??

I have an RCA mic preamp from the early 1950s. It also employs the floating input (no center tap on the input transformer) and floating output. So this practice goes back over 70 years and solid state gear I have in my recording studio employs line transformers in the same way. Balanced line, executed properly, ignores ground, which is to say it often floats. Were this not so, I imagine this balanced line driver chip would have no function...
We have a saying: you can call me a teapot, but don't put it on the tiles. It looks like floating balance output in your posts.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
We have a saying: you can call me a teapot, but don't put it on the tiles. It looks like floating balance output in your posts.
I don't get the saying, which doesn't turn up easily on Google, so I treating that as a red herring.
You said:
Floating output has nothing to do with balanced output.
Which I showed is false.

And yes, we have a floating balanced output which we patented in our preamps, and receive the phono cartridge in those preamps as the floating balanced source that it is.

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
And yes, we have a floating balanced output which we patented in our preamps, and receive the phono cartridge in those preamps as the floating balanced source that it is.
You've pretty much learned to say "differential source" before, which is true in your case. Floating balance source is nonsense.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Give a link to a textbook on radio engineering or electrical engineering. That will be right.

Again:

Read it this time.

This one is by Bill Whitlock, the designer of the Jensen Transformers. Its as textbook as it gets.

Page 15 gives you a good idea of what is happening. You'll see that the transformers are not center-tapped, which means they are balanced and floating. The opamp is receiving the signal single-ended (transformers are good at converting from balanced to single-ended. On page 17, we have an output which is driving the transformer single-ended, but the output is balanced and floating.

On page 18, we have microphone connections, and if you look at pin 1 its tied only to the electrostatic shield of the transformer. IOW the inputs and outputs are floating. A line level isolater is depicted on page 22. In all cases we see the floating aspect. This is done to maximize the CMRR. Read the text.

I can do this all day...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing