Pilium Audio in action-

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Pilium will release a dedicated phono stage at some stage in the future. This is a delicate area though which demands a fair share of development.

We're carrying CH Precision, Allnic, Ypsilon and Phasemation on the mid- to highest level which are all at the forefront but as already mentioned at the same time very different.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: sonrock

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated and I totally understand the fun gained from that upgrade journey.

I’ve not researched anything about phonostage yet, so any recommendations for me please? The best possible one :)
Ypsilon vps 100 LCR tube phono plays emotionally thrilling, depends really well on the gas like sports car. excellent construction. 315.jpg
or rather transistor phono moon lp 610 it plays absolutely noise-free. More like a Rolls Royce lets you enjoy the music. as always a question of money and personal taste. 034237677dbd66a7879b083003ccd5e9.jpg

Importantly, no matter how good your cartridge, tonearm and turntable is both bring the strengths and weaknesses to light.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
It’s interesting that today I received an email from Audiogon with Mike’s EA speakers are for sale and not sure what’s next for his journey.

I was thinking about his speakers before but I didn’t have the current room for them while I never had a chance to listen to any pair of EA as well to make the call.

I just always wanted to bring the magico Q7mk2 home after the Q5 but my sigma acoustic maat came first and won our hearts, mine and my wife’s.

The journey is still long and I am not sure what will come next in the future, but I can feel Mike’s position as after more than 10 years using the same pair of speakers and amps, it might be the right time to try something new.

it’s not because of the current system is not great but simply we could do something different and so much fun too.

I might ask Aldo to design a complete new pair of maat speakers one day, make it 2 towers haha. But I think a single tower should be ideal for me and my room, whoever the designer is.

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
Hi. Just curious. How is Pilium's reliability? It is fairly a new company, so I am just wondering. TIA!

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I've been using them for around 4 months now and having no problem with operation at all.

I'm not sure how other users find it as surely some have Pilium much longer than I do, but it's really reliable so far :).

Also if you follow this thread, you can see Konstatinos and his crew are super in terms of customer services. They do make visit to customers' home to fine tune and check their products, so if anything happened, you can reach out to the company directly or your local distributor.

If you don't mind, may I ask what models are you looking to buy at the moment?

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Fantastic, you won’t be disappointed with your choice. I was very impressed with the combo at Munich last year driving magico a5 speakers, just fabulous.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Hi. Just curious. How is Pilium's reliability? It is fairly a new company, so I am just wondering. TIA!

Hello friend.
What do you mean by "new"?
the company Founded in 2014 (9 years ago),
for that matter and just as an example, CH Precision is also relatively "new", founded in 2009, (14 years ago)
I have not come across anyone who said about It is "fairly a new company (Relatively)",
in this field, seniority is indeed important, but it is much more important, it is the mark you leave, and how much you manage to influence and stand out, succeed and lead, and PILIUM succeeded and are succeeding enormously!

Regarding reliability, I have been with PILIUM for two years, I have only the best of the best to say,
your choice and direction are excellent!

I have the Achilles amp and the alexander pre-amp, one of the very best of the best COMBO out there.

Congratulations in advance.

Reactions: ozy and Rhapsody

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Finally the festive season has arrived, so I wish you all a Merry Xmas and very Happy New Year.

For me, I've just experienced some very nice stuff recently and truly want to share this with you.

A week ago, Stefano, the Sigma Acoustic distributor in the UK, came to my house bringing a pair of Overture 20th Anniversary speakers with their dedicated stands, and some pair of White Gold xlr Gladiator cables for me to listen and try here. It's very kind of him because I couldn't go to the UK show earlier this year to see how his stuff sound as my wife gave birth to our 3rd child at the same time.

And after a week of intensive listening to them, I can see it's really interesting to see how even one of the smallest speakers in the Sigma Acoustic house can retain their sound characteristics.

Initially, I thought this is not possible for me to recognise this, simply because the Maat that I'm using or the Orchestra 2.9 that I listened to at Munich are way bigger than the Overture, while all of the drivers are also different.

However, a common theme that can be seen in Sigma speakers is their AMT tweeter, big or small, and somehow Aldo and his team do put magic into those and make them sound extremely coherent regardless of size. For me, the best part of this choice is for dynamics and flexibility when reproducing any type of music.

I can feel the guitar pluck, bow moving on a violin or the key of piano hit are very natural plus power and nuances in the notes. In addition, the sound is very clean but without giving the warmth and musicality away, while the smaller body when positioning correctly can give a stellar soundstage with depth and breath even in a mid/big size room.

Actually, I keep them pretty close to the listening position and completely toed-in to avoid the issues e.g lacking bass or a shallow soundstage. When powerful music is played, it's really amazed to see how such a small woofer can deliver such a tight, punchy and powerful bass performance.

If I'm honest, when Stefano was here, he was very scare when I told him that I'd increase the volume level to see how the speakers behave with extremely dynamic music ranging from electronics, rock, techno, modern pop/hiphop and some complicated orchestral pieces. And obviously, nothing happened haha, no drivers blown out of the cabinet and he was so relieved after sweating for 15 minutes and pinned down to the sofa while I was changing tracks.

It's also very interesting to note that, he said that he'd discovered something new with these speakers himself, simply because the Pilium electronics are something else compared to what he's got at home or using at shows. So the dilemma for him is to find something, ideally an integrated amp, which costs a fraction of the Olympus/Atlas combo but deliver as a close performance as possible. This is hard and I leave it to Stefano to look for his answer.

After owning and listening to various pairs of stand mount speakers, I see the Overture 20th Anniversary are a very strong contender at the list price of GBP 8k to ones such as Avid Evo 4 and ProAc K1 which I listened to at 2 different environments plus many other brands out there.

On the cables note, as I've been using my Crystal Cables Dream for around 10 years plus now, so I know exactly how they sound. Hence it'd be easier for me to identify if any differences made when switching to another brand because simply put, the Dream cables are incredibly neutral but silky smooth, punchy and accurate. Interestingly enough, the White Gold Gladiator interconnect cables sound quite similar to my Dream cables, however on a little bit of darker side while extending a bit further in the soundstage to give it just a little bit more depth.

Those cables from Italy reminded me about NBS Black that I used years ago before I went all in with Crystal Dream. Both of them are excellent, sweet and are quite close to the nordost vahalla/odin in terms of their explosive performance.

Stefano is coming back somewhere in January to collect his stuff and I'll have some more time to toy with them before saying goodbye.

More over, I'd also like to thanks Lee from Yorkshire AV to loan me the Rose RS150B streamer to try at home as I'm now on my way to get my digital sorted, especially a streamer.

I sent him a couple of emails asking about his product and a potential home demo, and after meeting him at his shop and spent 2 good hours listening to his amazing demo system, he gave the box plus a pair of xlr cables to me without any hesitation. Yes Sirs, he knows where I live and surely I won't bite when he's coming here later to collect his stuff haha.

It's very important to note that last year when Dali debuted their flagship speakers at Munich, when I arrived, they played something I'm not familiar with while the room was quite crowded, although there were some seats left. However, after staying there for 10 minutes I left unimpressed and couldn't understand their sound.

At Lee's demo room, much smaller but well treated while utterly quiet, the second to the flagship line speakers really moved me in all the tracks that I picked. He used the Rose streamer as source while switching between Luxman pre-pow and Gryphon pre-pow on site for me to compare. Just insane to see how wonderful they sound and especially compare directly between two giants in the hiend industry.

Luxman is warm, super musical and no lack of punch and power. Gryphon, as always, also super musical, powerful and incredibly neutral while extending the high a bit further. Who buys what is down to personal choice. Price wise, I was told the Luxman combo is around GBP 32k while their opponent from Denmark is around GBP 40k, all list price.

Sorry for a bit wordy today Sirs, hopefully I won't bore you about my long writing ^^

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Here is a new Rhapsody.Audio customer's system, including Raidho TD3.8s, Pilium Ares pre and Achilles stereo amp. The Pilium pieces were delivered yesterday and turned on for the first time today.

IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1344.jpg

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Today I went down south to a shop which is 160 miles from home to buy the dcs vivaldi transport. They’re the authorised dealer of dcs and I was told that the item was used just less than 10 hours and literally it’s in as new conditions.

it’s very unfortunate that they’d sold their apex dac, streamer and clock right before I reached out to ask them about the vivaldi so it’s gonna take sometime for me complete my digital.

I’m not sure if anyone has used the dcs transport with a dac from different brands e.g esoteric? Because I’m using 2 xlr cables to connect between my transport and dac plus another for the words/clock. However I don’t have any sound at all from the system as my dac, when set at Dual DSD input, the word Dual just keeps blinking. Any advice please

I guess dcs and esoteric are not compatible here? If so, I will need to wait until the dcs apex dac arrives to see how things go here.

on another note, as I had a long drive so couldn’t dare to stay more than 2h there. So my main listening room today is for the flagship PMC and then Wilson Alexia 2 speakers - driving by Bristol monoblocks connecting straight to the dcs Vivaldi Apex One and clock.

when I was in Munich, I couldn’t spend more than 3 minutes in the pmc room using the same speakers. But here, they sound actually really good I have to say.

however, when the Wilson was pulled out, it’s a completely different story. Despite being cheaper in retail price, the alexia 2 just blew the pmc away. I used exactly the same 8 tracks to test them when I was there.

this’s the 2nd time I’ve listened to Wilson speakers that sound that good. Ironically, the first time 6 years ago the speakers were also alexia but just mk1, full 4 boxes vivaldi and the Naim statement amps.

there is a pair of alex 5 in the corner of the shop but it’s sold already and ready to be shipped next week, so they were reluctant to pull them out for me to listen. I don’t blame them as the alex 5 are big and really heavy themselves. Maybe in my next visit :).

some pictures are here
IMG_8490.jpeg IMG_8491.jpeg IMG_8489.jpeg IMG_8488.jpeg IMG_8484.jpeg IMG_8483.jpeg

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
A very quick update from me, Dual DSD can’t be used due to compability. But I went to the local shop and borrowed a coax cable then now it’s working like magic. I can’t wait until the apex dac arrives here to get the full magic of the dual DSD then the upsampler and clock will complete it.

IMG_8493.jpeg

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Finally the vivaldi apex dac is here with me. Hopefully the upsampler and clock will arrive soon too to complete my digital. I felt in love with the look of the vivaldi years ago since I first saw them, while they sound utterly beautiful. I missed a chance to buy a brand new combo of the original vivaldi 2.0 dac and transport 6-7 years back, but now my digital is eventually sorted for many years to come :)

I’m glad that I have full warranty for those boxes and the father and son team Steve/Dave is incredible with their services. Bringing the dac directly to my house then collect my dac and taking the payment later.
IMG_8501.jpeg IMG_8499.jpeg IMG_8498.jpeg IMG_8500.jpeg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Finally the vivaldi apex dac is here with me. Hopefully the upsampler and clock will arrive soon too to complete my digital. I felt in love with the look of the vivaldi years ago since I first saw them, while they sound utterly beautiful. I missed a chance to buy a brand new combo of the original vivaldi 2.0 dac and transport 6-7 years back, but now my digital is eventually sorted for many years to come :)

I’m glad that I have full warranty for those boxes and the father and son team Steve/Dave is incredible with their services. Bringing the dac directly to my house then collect my dac and taking the payment later.
View attachment 123376 View attachment 123377 View attachment 123378 View attachment 123379
Congrats! Big news, and I think I know the father/son dealer you speak of...and was just on the phone with Steve this morning! They really are great.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Thanks Lloyds, they’re are actually fantastic people and I will definitely find opportunities with them in the future as well because simply they’re having stuff that I might be interested.

after they left my house at midday, my old friend came over for a visit and listen to my system. He found out that he had cancer just a few months after my son having intensive treatments in the hospital for his own cancer.

So when he came back to his normal life, he just simply travels the world for watching golf tournaments or music concerts. Hence we didn’t meet since Munich last year as we always go there together. I used to go to listen to live music or orchestral concerts with him a lot before the pandemic.

actually just less than 2 weeks ago he went to vienna to watch the new year orchestra with Strauss music at the famous philharmonic hall. Today when I played the cd with the same tracks that he listened live, although the feelings are never the same as we all know, but he said closing his eyes and he was there.

I’m extremely happy when he reckoned that he’s never heard something that good either at shows or someone’s house. The performance of the system is just phenomenal and terrific. He loves classical music and especially concertos. And he told me at the domestic scale, my system has reached a point of “being there”.

the dynamic level is not about playing loud and attacking the listener but you can feel like you’re in the room or music hall with the artists. The speakers with 4 massive woofers are totally controlled and behaving all the time regardless of the volume level.

It’s incredible to notice that those huge woofers hardly move by looking at them from the listening position. They’re extremely fast but deep and punching like a hammer. This’s completely opposite to many other speakers which you can see their woofers move dramatically when music being played.

he recommended me not to change anything at all after getting the final 2 boxes of the vivaldi then simply enjoying music. He’s exactly at the age of my dad and has been in this highend game for nearly 50 years. Being a single person himself without children or family commitments allows him to travel weekly to wherever he wants and listen to live music. So his comments about my system make me very happy.

quite a number of dealers/distributors came to my house and were blown away by the system, but this’s the second time an audiophile friend popped up and gave me such an amazing feedback about my system. I can enjoy music tonight and tomorrow before a new week starts again. My CDs collection has never sounded that great :)

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I am confident that your results are at the highest level possible,
your electronics set at the most extreme level,
your speakers and the whole set you have, you have excellent taste.

Reactions: Forte and sonrock

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Installed the Pilium Olympus pre and Zeus stereo amp last night. Let it set for 12 hours and turned on this morning for the first time. It has all of five minutes of playing time on the Pilium set.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing