Pimped out Premier or Lampi Pacific?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Lampi's reliability is really sub-par. Talk to some peeps/dealers.

MSB's issue is while it has superb engineering, some annoying user experiences. For instance, changing to the volume control shouldn't be so confusing. I always have to go to the manual to do anything.

Reactions: Kingsrule

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I wonder why no one is trying to beat Lampizator at his own game.

Where are the competing DACs with multi-triode-type capable output stages?

Sooner or later it is probably just a question if time. That said ... Lampi sure isn't new anymore.

A bit off topic but hey.

Reactions: Alrainbow

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Now we are getting into philosophy?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

MSB's issue is while it has superb engineering, some annoying user experiences. For instance, changing to the volume control shouldn't be so confusing. I always have to go to the manual to do anything.

my MSB is plug and play pretty much. if i change a module mostly the integration is automatic. but i also use a separate preamp, and don't use Roon to change volume. maybe those things are more interface/firmware intensive.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I wonder why no one is trying to beat Lampizator at his own game.

Where are the competing DACs with multi-triode-type capable output stages?

Sooner or later it is probably just a question if time. That said ... Lampi sure isn't new anymore.

A bit off topic but hey.
I have been saying this for years it goes on deaf ears. I spoke to ps audio and Vince of msb regarding voicing. I posed a simple question who decides its house sound ? This usually degrades into there is no house sound or it’s made neutral or we have made it ( true to the source ) this last one always pisses me off the most. Dacs and in fact all audio devices have a house sound period. This sound varies In Each and every system it’s used for a multitude of reasons. But when you pay 100k for one device I guess they should know best for all lol. while a Lampi has one too it’s aloud to have a variety of small changes to tune it. Add a volume control on the dac and go even deeper into tone and weight. Add a preamp and add more layers to the Music. at one time Paul of ps audio beat a drum loud as less is more. The concept has merit. But lakes any kind of tonal and weight adjustment. How many times my someone confusing posts fell on deaf ears. a Lampi and most all other dacs can do well on a setup with no preamp. But add one and open more doors to more variance in tuning it just for each of us.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't like SET anything nor tube sources. i've tried others. ymmv.

says alot that a Vac engineer compared both and picked the non-tube source.

we disagree on approach here which is fine.

And Leif picked up the Lampi.

Audioquattr owned both GG and MSB platinum or diamond and preferred GG1 and went to Pac

And Steve will never say it because he is a gentleman, but regular readers know the MSB dealer is local to him and on good terms, so I for one, and a few others, think that he compared both and Lampi just selected itself on all dimensions. Btw, I have no idea if I am correct, but it is silly to think someone planned all this time for product A and bought product B without comparing the two, especially when product A was easily available to demo.

If Ron or you ever demo it properly, you will shift. This is way superior to SETs. It is more energetic and has more drive than SS digital without giving up the SETs magic

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

As always just another frustrated msb owner claiming they own an MSB cause Lampi is subpar. Hey does the sound click as you change the vol ? This always killed me. How can a 6k vol option pause the volume as you change it. that always puzzled me. Vince has some great answer about 30 special resistors all going back and forth with each 1/2 dB click. When you can find out how to adjust the volume does yours do this ? Lol.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Keith, don't engage the Lampicult.

Reactions: Zero000

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
my MSB is plug and play pretty much. if i change a module mostly the integration is automatic. but i also use a separate preamp, and don't use Roon to change volume. maybe those things are more interface/firmware intensive.
Me too.
I never like the volume controls inside dac or in Roon, not even those in my Select DAC.
I aleays use a separate preamp in my audio system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
To quote from David Wilson a long time ago..

"everyone needs a tube in their system"

I love tubes and I would love to read the original text from where this quote was taken.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

I have had 8 Lampi days pass thru my hands over the years......never had any real problems. Guess I was just lucky?
In any case, Lampi would fix anything that was their fault on their dime, as I saw many times...so not an issue for me.

MSB is good stuff, just very expensive relatively speaking and a 1 trick pony. As Henry Ford said...U can get it in any color, so long as its in black! I like the fact that I can adjust any lampi to my changing system setup.

The TRP can take down many regarded Dacs, so no need to pull for the Pac...already the TRP is scary good.
The OP can do what he likes, he is the one who will have to deal with audio remorse...or not. He has been warned.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Do you have or plan on using a preamp ?
My amp-- Bakoon 13r -- is integrated, so I don't need vol control on the dac. I'm just starting a demo of the LTA MZ3 to see if I like it's influence with the Bakoon.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I widened the search to include the Aqua xHD along with MSB and Pacific.

It's interesting to have gathered a kaleidoscope of opinions -- some nuanced, some emphatic-- on these dacs. I respect and trust the perspectives here and also those on pm and email.

I've heard opinions that Aqua xHD is far better than Pacific; that Aqua shouldn't even be in the same conversation; that MSB is far better than either of the two others; etc.

It may be that I should take my time, hold on to the Pac and demo both the MSB Premier with all the upgrades and the Aqua xHD. Hear, compare, decide. I would truly love for the Aqua to be the one, as it would save a lot of money...

Reactions: CKKeung

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I widened the search to include the Aqua xHD along with MSB and Pacific.

It's interesting to have gathered a kaleidoscope of opinions -- some nuanced, some emphatic-- on these dacs. I respect and trust the perspectives here and also those on pm and email.

I've heard opinions that Aqua xHD is far better than Pacific; that Aqua shouldn't even be in the same conversation; that MSB is far better than either of the two others; etc.

It may be that I should take my time, hold on to the Pac and demo both the MSB Premier with all the upgrades and the Aqua xHD. Hear, compare, decide. I would truly love for the Aqua to be the one, as it would save a lot of money...

it will come down to a feel for what stays music and what becomes sound and sameness. what sort of music, and how much large music you play? separation and coherence in the soundstage? and how each dac compliments those things. i know how that worked for me.

and there are no absolutes or losers here, it's degrees of things, and priorities.

they are all outstanding products......and each tickle certain fancy's.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung and wil

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am glad I have no dog in this hunt.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Keith, don't engage the Lampicult.

Years ago on UK forums I came.out with Kondo mafia and it caught on. Its use became literally prolific.

As instigator of that terminology, I declare the term 'Lampicult' to have considerable merit.;)

Reactions: KeithR

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i Would beg to differ Mike but IMO the MSB Reference doesnt even come close to the Pacific

imo the comparison should be between the a Pacific and the Select and it all boils down to ones desire to use tubes. In my system (which is all tubes)there was simply no comparison As for the inconvenience of tubes, those in the Lampi Pacific will outlive both of us

I went through that very comparison Select vs Pacific in my system but to say the MSB Reference betters the Pacific just isn’t the case

Steve,

I can't understand why a comparison carried in your system can support such generic conclusion.

As I have been listening to several sets of amplifiers and several DACs I found that my preference of DAC depends strongly on the system. A top DAC can sound miserable in a top system if they do not match. Lamm's can sound really excellent but IMHO are very specific in terms of matching (BTW the DCS Vivaldi was really a great match with them).

Batri owns Bakoon 13r (SS) and Avantgarde speakers - the best sound I ever listened from Avantgarde´s used a SS DAC and a SS amplifier. IMHO the thread should focus on his system, not on comparing the weight of the fan clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing