Planning a trip to Sapporo Snow Festival

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D
hey Jack, do you want some cold weather training... come to Edmonton and help me clean my driveway tomorrow night... it will only be -33c and will only feel like -47c with the windchill ..

-33C???? Can you even open your door and let in the cold wind? I imagine your doors and windows need some big time industrial type sealant, man.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm sure they have double doors for the main entrance. Sort of like an airlock for tropical types in the tundra ;P

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm sure they have double doors for the main entrance. Sort of like an airlock for tropical types in the tundra ;P

to start with, and as a mininum. :) and my sister in toronto complains of -3C, that it has deprived her of a social life since she is always indoors with her 3 kids. :)

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I love you man, but not that much LOL!!!!!!!

We got our Visas today! All systems GO

so you will fight a war with me, but dump me at minus thirty three :eek:

hey, congrats and enjoy your trip... just watch out for those guys going down the hill really fast with both legs straight, they will run you over :D:D

-33C???? Can you even open your door and let in the cold wind? I imagine your doors and windows need some big time industrial type sealant, man.

most new houses and buildings are very airtight and built for it, but my office poorly insulated since we are in an older building. I keep a small 1500 watt portable ceramic heater under my desk to augment the centralized heater when it's really cold, it was not keeping up yesterday and I expect to have cold feet for the next few days.

most commercial buildings have vestibules.. most windows are argon filled and triple pane.. still leak heat/cold but have much higher insulating value than before. would you believe I still see people walking their dogs last night. it is not uncommon to see joggers up to -25c.

They all tell me outside the cold/freezing weather, they felt like their ears were falling off due to the extreme cold. And I do not intend to try to find out how that feels

as they say, "if they feel numb and frozen, don't flick them". :eek: as it takes only a few minutes to freeze your extremeties when it is really cold. I remember when I used to take the bus, the juice bottle in my backpack will freeze solid after walking a block from the bus stop to our building..

it is not like that all the time, and winter is mostly fun. I mean schools force kids to go outside to play during recess up to -20 (I think)... but for me, things change when it gets colder than -25 or -30. but after a week in the deep freeze, you get used to it and it also becomes (almost) normal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love you man, but not that much LOL!!!!!!!

We got our Visas today! All systems GO! :)

Safe trip! Post a pic if you get a chance!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Lloyd :) Last of the snow wear (boots and pants) have been ordered online. I'll certainly take pictures. What Amir said about the potential for damage has me thinking I'll take my old camera (D300) instead of my main one. Then again, I just might risk it as the D700 takes much better night shots. I promise to post :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Sam :) BTW, is it okay if I send Mario's spare resistors to your place? :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Sure Jack, just send Mario's resistors over. I just recall that Mario left your check with me. I'll give it to you the next time we see each other.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Sam! :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's snowin' HARD!!!!!!!! :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

with your smiley, it seems you're loving it. :) take care, buddy. and of course, have a good one with the family. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jack...good news! Enjoy! Checked the weather...hopefully its not that cold for you (as cold weather goes anyway)...just below freezing (28F).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Useful phrase to break the ice, pun intended when you are there:

"Samui des ne?"

It means "it is cold, isn't it?" Say that to your taxi driver and people in the hotel and they will be most impressed!

Enjoy :).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As a friend from France says, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes." :)

We're loving the street food. Uploading pics now. Will have some up in an hour or so.

Thanks for all the tips! I've never seen my kids have so much fun! SCORE!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Stormy Night

Late Start

Ahhh. Some action!

All that air made me hungry. Meat on sticks. How can you go wrong?

Absolutely no way according to these gentlemen :)

Pork Buns?

Off to the Snow Park. Ah Joy!

A final shot before hypothermia

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
nice pics, jack.

those white buns should be pork, they've got the faces of porky in them, over here we call it 'asado siopao', but without the cute face drawings. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great photos, Jack! Nice one! Enjoy! Glad to see the whole family seems to having a great time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing