Power, but no sound from MSB S201 amp?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Has anyone encountered this issue with the S201 or any of the MSB amps? Last night I was not able to get any sound from the S201. The power light is on (both green) and not in standby. Unplugged the unit, gave it some time to cool down, thinking it might have gone into thermal protection but then the amp would not have been able to power up if that were the case.

Checked all my sources, preamp functions, cables, speakers and they work just fine with another amp. I wondered if it was the fuse but the amp shouldn't power on if that were the case. I can tell the S201 is drawing power from the outlet and it's also heating up like normal for a class A amp. Scratching my head on this one...

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Had to send it back to MSB, and it looked like some sugary liquid was spilled on the amp (from the previous owner). They gave me an option to fix it or they were willing to buy it back at full retail value to trade in on the newer S202. So I now have a S202.

Part of the reason I traded up was because the S201 runs really hot, even on standby. The new S202 runs much cooler and doesn't heat up the room like an oven.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing