Preamp to get fleshed out images and good transients & bass?

That was precisely my point.IMO the best sound "I" have heard with Wilson (and I have owned 8 different pair of Wilson speakers) and I have had everything from 3-4 different Krell amps, ARC Ref 600 Mk lll, Lamm ML2.1 and now Lamm ML3/LL1 Signature, is Lamm...for my ears. But Lamm preamps are designed by Vlad to work best with his amps and you have a hybrid which will do just fine.

I gotta hear Lamm/big Wilson combination someday...

Hi Madfloyd,

Before spending more, I'd go back to the stock tubes. Also, have you been changing your two 12AX3 and one 6C19Ps every year or so? Weak tubes which as you know are only used for voltage regulation on the L2 will definitely color the sound.The same thing happened to me when I didn't change tubes for 2 years. Now I do so annually.

Best,

Jack

Also an L2 and M1.2 owner. Heck also a TW AC 3 , XV1s and t owner. I got a big boost in performance when I changed my LP2 suts from the stock 1:9 to the optional 1:32. If you prefer the BADA direct, I suggest you try feeding the L2 via the tape inputs.

Another preamp that works well with my M1.2s and M2.2s is the Valvet Soulshine loaded with NOS Tele 802s and the stock JJ ecc99s.

What's different about the tape inputs? Does it bypass anything? I thought the direct inputs were the best ones.

Hi Madfloyd,

Before spending more, I'd go back to the stock tubes. Also, have you been changing your two 12AX3 and one 6C19Ps every year or so? Weak tubes which as you know are only used for voltage regulation on the L2 will definitely color the sound.The same thing happened to me when I didn't change tubes for 2 years. Now I do so annually.

Best,

Jack

Thanks. I recently swapped out the 12AX3's and the 6CI9P for new ones (and adjusted the bias). I do have a NOS 12AX7 in there though. Anyone know if I need to re-bias if I swap that back for the stock one?

Floyd, the direct input still uses the volume control, but bypasses the other selector switches; the tape would even bypass the volume control, right?
On tubes, I always use the Vlad supplied ones, except on the ML2 amp, where i use a ribbed tele for the 12A__ tube. And, yes, I would rebias, every tube, even from the same manufacturer/vintage, is going to be slightly different, I think.

I thought it was the tape-out to bypass the volume control... :confused:
Maybe I'm the one that's confused, because I haven't used a tape monitor function on a preamp in 30 years. If you are recording, that's the output to the tape and that shouldn't be affected by the volume control. If you are playing back, that's input and you are right, you'd want the volume control to affect playback.

Last edited:
Yup the Tape is the bypass. It's also used for HT bypass in mixed systems with pre-pro's. Might not be as good as going direct to the amps but it will be more convenient.

Yup you will have to re-bias every time you change a tube in there. If the sound is slow and congested it would appear bias is on the low side.

HTH :)

I was looking for a preamp with the same needs as on your list add quiet, and reliable to the list).
I bought the BAT REX. Over three years of trouble free pleasure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing