Purchasing Mint Condition Pair of ML 2.0's - Your Thoughts and Expertise Would Be Appreciated

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
After hearing them at an audio show, and then in a high end brick and mortar audio shop roughly fifteen years ago, it has always been a dream to own a pair of the brilliant ML series Lamm SET amps. Some weeks back, I missed out, due to a miscommunication, at the other end, on a beautiful pair of ML 2.1's. They were six years old, had been handled with great care, and had just come back from a complete checkup/refurbishing at Lamm. This was the first time I had seen any of this series drop so far down in price to reach the level I could afford, and losing out on them, at the last minute, was a major disappointment, to put it mildly. I didn't honestly ever expect to see a comparable pair again for that cost, or any cost my finances would make possible.

Just yesterday, a pair of ML 2.0's appeared for sale in Canada, just across the border, in a local audio newsletter. They were owned by a gentleman only a bit over an hour and a half from where I live. I immediately contacted the owner and looked at an entire series of pictures that he sent me. These 2.0's are in perfect condition, perform flawlessly, and were manufactured in December of 2002. His price was also reasonable beyond anything I expected at $2,500.00 less than that first set of 2.1's that I so unfortunately lost out on. Granted, they have not been serviced by Lamm, as the others were, but I couldn't pass them up, and closed the deal to purchase them. I'm picking them up on Monday, after he returns from a tip to Montreal with his wife. He is pleased to let me demo them to my hearts content. He is only selling since he has just retired, and he and his wife are moving permanently up to their lake cottage, which cannot accommodate a full sized stereo system.

My only, limited, concern is that they are 2.0's, not 2.1's as I originally hoped for, though a number of people have told me they are so close there is no reason for any anxiety over this. And the second concern was the age, with the 2.1's being eleven years newer than the 2.0's I am purchasing. Again, a few key people have told me not to worry in that regard, given the build quality of the products. And of course, eventually, I will send them back to Lamm for a checkup/refurbishing. Of course, that will cost me, including the expensive shipping each way, somewhere between $3200-3500.00. In the end, after that servicing, down the road, that would bring my total expenditure for the 2.0's up to about $500.00 more than that first pair of ML2.1's. I'm still hoping this was a good deal on these rare and limited amplifiers that I've long dreamed of.

Any thoughts, comments, wisdom, perspectives, and hopefully positive words, would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
After hearing them at an audio show, and then in a high end brick and mortar audio shop roughly fifteen years ago, it has always been a dream to own a pair of the brilliant ML series Lamm SET amps. Some weeks back, I missed out, due to a miscommunication, at the other end, on a beautiful pair of ML 2.1's. They were six years old, had been handled with great care, and had just come back from a complete checkup/refurbishing at Lamm. This was the first time I had seen any of this series drop so far down in price to reach the level I could afford, and losing out on them, at the last minute, was a major disappointment, to put it mildly. I didn't honestly ever expect to see a comparable pair again for that cost, or any cost my finances would make possible.

Just yesterday, a pair of ML 2.0's appeared for sale in Canada, just across the border, in a local audio newsletter. They were owned by a gentleman only a bit over an hour and a half from where I live. I immediately contacted the owner and looked at an entire series of pictures that he sent me. These 2.0's are in perfect condition, perform flawlessly, and were manufactured in December of 2002. His price was also reasonable beyond anything I expected at $2,500.00 less than that first set of 2.1's that I so unfortunately lost out on. Granted, they have not been serviced by Lamm, as the others were, but I couldn't pass them up, and closed the deal to purchase them. I'm picking them up on Monday, after he returns from a tip to Montreal with his wife. He is pleased to let me demo them to my hearts content. He is only selling since he has just retired, and he and his wife are moving permanently up to their lake cottage, which cannot accommodate a full sized stereo system.

My only, limited, concern is that they are 2.0's, not 2.1's as I originally hoped for, though a number of people have told me they are so close there is no reason for any anxiety over this. And the second concern was the age, with the 2.1's being eleven years newer than the 2.0's I am purchasing. Again, a few key people have told me not to worry in that regard, given the build quality of the products. And of course, eventually, I will send them back to Lamm for a checkup/refurbishing. Of course, that will cost me, including the expensive shipping each way, somewhere between $3200-3500.00. In the end, after that servicing, down the road, that would bring my total expenditure for the 2.0's up to about $500.00 more than that first pair of ML2.1's. I'm still hoping this was a good deal on these rare and limited amplifiers that I've long dreamed of.

Any thoughts, comments, wisdom, perspectives, and hopefully positive words, would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.
Buy’ em and don’t look back, never look back!!

Cheers!
ALF

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Anyone else want to chime in? I'm just thinking that a pair of perfect condition ML2's for $7,500.00 is something I can't possibly miss on, even if I started out looking for 2.1's.

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Thanks Steve. I've also seen a few mentions here and there where people had commented that they thought the ML2's sounded the best of the 2 series..........seems like I can't lose.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The price is ewally great, but what are your current (or future ... :)) speakers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I totally agree. Also there are some who felt the ML 2 was better than the ML 2.1 for reasons I cannot recall.
Hi...i very nearly went for a pair of ML 2-series myself...and it was ultimately either going to be 2.0 or 2.2 having read a tome of comments, reviews where there was certainly a consistent faction of people who felt the 2.0 was a superior amp to the 2.1.

In the end, i wanted long-term flexibility on speakers, and went Gryphon Class A SS...but i definitely recall reading what you also seem to have heard, Steve.

If Vladmir looks after it...that sounds like an incredibly good find. Enjoy!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The price is ewally great, but what are your current (or future ... :)) speakers?
From Highlander's 'About' section...

PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Preamp
Modwright Elyse DAC
Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers

from SET system - Art Audio Carissa Signature power amp

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Anyone else want to chime in? I'm just thinking that a pair of perfect condition ML2's for $7,500.00 is something I can't possibly miss on, even if I started out looking for 2.1's.
If you decide not to go with them, I’m in :)

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Thanks to all. I appreciate the comments and input.Feeling much better about my purchase, as I'd hoped.

And, clearly I need to update my "about" section.

My current system is as follows (or will be):
Speakers - Audio Physic Cardeas Plus + (I also have a pair of the new Tekton Perfect SET's coming to try with the Lamms in a SET system)
Amplifiers - the soon to be picked up ML2's
Preamp - Conrad Johnson ACT2
DAC - Lampizator Golden Gate
Streamer/Network Player Sonore Ultra Rendu and highly upgraded power supply
Roon endpoint - Small Green Computer i5 Sonic Transporter

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks to all. I appreciate the comments and input.Feeling much better about my purchase, as I'd hoped.

And, clearly I need to update my "about" section.

My current system is as follows (or will be):
Speakers - Audio Physic Cardeas Plus + (I also have a pair of the new Tekton Perfect SET's coming to try with the Lamms in a SET system)
Amplifiers - the soon to be picked up ML2's
Preamp - Conrad Johnson ACT2
DAC - Lampizator Golden Gate
Streamer/Network Player Sonore Ultra Rendu and highly upgraded power supply
Roon endpoint - Small Green Computer i5 Sonic Transporter

The cj preamp will sound great with the Lamm and fortunately you do not have the excellent Sonus Faber Olympica III anymore - they are 4 ohm speakers and need a lot of power, IMHO they would not be a good match to the Lamm ML2.
It was why I asked about the system.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've tried several preamps with my Lamm amps and have found that a matching Lamm amp is superior. I have the LL2.1 Deluxe, the all tube design, which can be found very reasonably used.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve.....what are you talking about, this is WBF, we love spending other people's money!

your suggestion and comment was my thought exactly

The CJ might sound good but IMHO Lamm amps sound best with Lamm preamp and the LL2.1 Deluxe would be my recommendation as well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing