QSA : My take on their expensive products

Huy Hoang

Jan 5, 2019
Can you confirm whether the Brimar fuses are directional and if so, are the fuses marked accordingly?
Hi Willgolf, yes it has direction arrow on the label.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@Hua Huong I’m also wanting to know what’s good and available that’s cheaper than QSA and better than SR Orange. Since the Orange has been improved upon by SR Purple, a $500 Brimar that even CK Keung doesn’t like, that lacks a reasonably well done comparisons with the Purple or similar level (or better) fuse, and which doesn’t have much resale value outside of Asia, is a big leap of faith. 3-4 days burn in before comparison with the Purple (or Orange) doesn’t cut it. 10-15 days use or continuous electricity is more like it.

About tone, here are my priorities in deciding on equipment, in order:
1) tone (a bit of warmth)
2) pitch (not elevated)
3) staging, facus and resolution

The SR Orange and Purple have warmth. Does the Brimar? Great resolution usually means no warmth, and that doesn’t draw me in, at all.

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@Hua Huong I’m also wanting to know what’s good and available that’s cheaper than QSA and better than SR Orange. Since the Orange has been improved upon by SR Purple, a $500 Brimar that even CK Keung doesn’t like, that lacks a reasonably well done comparisons with the Purple or similar level (or better) fuse, and which doesn’t have much resale value outside of Asia, is a big leap of faith. 3-4 hours burn in before comparison with the Purple (or Orange) doesn’t cut it. 10-15 hours use or continuous electricity is more like it.

2) pitch (not elevated)

The SR Orange and Purple have warmth. Does the Brimar? Great resolution usually means no warmth, and that doesn’t draw me in, at all.
Do you have any insight on comparing the SR Purple to any QSA fuse?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Can you confirm whether the Brimar fuses are directional and if so, are the fuses marked accordingly?
Every audiophile fuses are directional.
And I never trust the arrow labels. :p

Always test/listen to the two diections when the fuse is installed initially.
One direction is always better than the other sonically.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
@Hua Huong I’m also wanting to know what’s good and available that’s cheaper than QSA and better than SR Orange. Since the Orange has been improved upon by SR Purple, a $500 Brimar that even CK Keung doesn’t like, that lacks a reasonably well done comparisons with the Purple or similar level (or better) fuse, and which doesn’t have much resale value outside of Asia, is a big leap of faith. 3-4 days burn in before comparison with the Purple (or Orange) doesn’t cut it. 10-15 days use or continuous electricity is more like it.

2) pitch (not elevated)

I never say I don't like the SR Purple or the new or old Brimars.
We have to consider the performance/cost ratios too.
And diff systems have their own characters and diff audiophiles have their own taste.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Do you have any insight on comparing the SR Purple to any QSA fuse?
Yes, may frds and I did that during a HK audiophiles gathering more than a yr ago.
Compared QSA Red vs SR Purple and all of the attendants preferred the former.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
d it's the reason why I'm here to find out how far the topline QSA fuses can improve. (still waiting the information from Mr CKKeung :D)
But anyway it's up to you, this is just a share from my real experience.
Regards.
The QSA fuses, particularly those models from Red upward, have an unique sonic quality of naturalness.

There are few competitors in the market that can fight with QSA models higher than the Red.
As what I had said on the first several posts of this thread, QSA is greedy and their top models are overpriced.
However if their characters suit you or your systems and if we want to get the best of the best, there are not much other alternatives.

Because the QSA higher models are so expensive, it very preferrable to try to arrange home trial before paying.
Luckily the retailer in HK is more than willing to entertain home-loan requests.

Reactions: Willgolf

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
CK Keung, I have to ask about your group’s comparison “more than a year ago,” because the Purple wasn’t released until October 1, 2021. Also, you did say earlier that you prefer the previous Black Brimar to the current model, so it’s fair to ask what differences you heard.

Will, It’s been some time, but as I recall the QSA Red was better across the board. I’ve got some Purples coming later this week, so I might compare again before going further. By the way, I think the Audiomart seller of 8 Purples still has a few left — https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...rple-fuses-63a-slow-blow-small-size-5-x-20mm/

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK Keung, I have to ask about your group’s comparison “more than a year ago,” because the Purple wasn’t released until October 1, 2021.

Will, It’s been some time, but as I recall the QSA Red was better across the board. I’ve got some Purples coming later this week, so I might compare again before going further. By the way, I think the Audiomart seller of 8 Purples still has a few left — https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...rple-fuses-63a-slow-blow-small-size-5-x-20mm/
Sorry, my memory about the date may be incorrect, but the comparison result is correct.

I would like to stress again that QSA higher models are really expensive and home audition is very desirable.
There may not be any absolute rights or wrongs. HiFi is a very subjective hobby.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
CK, I agree with you about home audition. Is that possible with Brimar across the world? I think it is with QSA, but am not sure.

Also, you wrote earlier that you like the previous Brimar Black to the current model. Was that a matter of price or sound? If the latter, can you fill us in on the differences you heard. I’m also particularly interested in Brimar’s tone (voicing) on the cool-neutral-warm continuum. Thanks,

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Sorry, my memory about the date may be incorrect, but the comparison result is correct.

I would like to stress again that QSA higher models are really expensive and home audition is very desirable.
There may not be any absolute rights or wrongs. HiFi is a very subjective hobby.
I have an opportunity to buy a Black /Red or Red/Black but it is still over $2k USA and I have many other needs including testing Hijiri Takumi PC's and USB cable and various SPDIF cables.

How would you compare the Brimar to the SR Purple if you can?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
First, when I bought the older black colour Brimar, they were hk$2.xk only, much lower than the current new editions.

Second, IMHO the black version may be less quiet than the new series, but they are to me a bit more emotionally involving.

Anyway it's discontinued and I had checked with both the manufacturer and the retailer : no stock was left.

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
CK...I hope you don't mind our questions but fuses are a very controversial subject. I am a believer but am getting tired of chasing the next great fuse. I don't know that I am a big fan of SR fuses and I like QSA fuses but they are frickking expensive. Then again, so are tubes nowadays. We have never heard of the Brimar fuses in the USA and I think that has us curious.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have an opportunity to buy a Black /Red or Red/Black but it is still over $2k USA and I have many other needs including testing Hijiri Takumi PC's and USB cable and various SPDIF cables.

How would you compare the Brimar to the SR Purple if you can?
I personally prefer the Brimar to SR Purple, particularly when used for small current components such as frontends or preamp.
BTW in HK, SR Purple is less expensive than the Brimars.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I personally prefer the Brimar to SR Purple, particularly when used for small current components such as frontends or preamp.
BTW in HK, SR Purple is less expensive than the Brimars.
Same in the USA. The Sr Purple is less than Brimar. The 64k question is should I try a Brimar for my Lampi Horizon or go full bore on buying Red/Black QSA? Decisions

Reactions: ctydwn

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Same in the USA. The Sr Purple is less than Brimar. The 64k question is should I try a Brimar for my Lampi Horizon or go full bore on buying Red/Black QSA? Decisions
First, I don't prefer upgrading several components all at once. Stepwise upgrade will enable us to fine-tune the system and is more fun.

Second, I believe in tackling the limiting factor of the system first.

Third, I agree somewhat with Mr Tsang of QSA that the fuse is a continuation of the audiophile powercord.
But the price & performance levels of the two of them on a particular component should not differ too much.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Third, I agree somewhat with Mr Tsang of QSA that the fuse is a continuation of the audiophile powercord.

And I thought that I was only one who saying that... Good to hear that's how Mr. Tsang approached it. Although I've also been thinking of a well designed fuse as a way of getting much more of what a power cord potentially has to offer to the power supply, and wondering if that's what QSA was up to.

Huy Hoang

Jan 5, 2019

2) pitch (not elevated)

Hi highstream,
More resolution doesn't mean you get only more micro details, but also you get more transparent, more focus and impact,
Less soft and less blur of leading edge
Better saturation and constrast of tone, better pitch of note
More clear texture and harmnonic between each note
For the bass performance with Brimar you get more detail bass notes which is not only tighten, go deeper but also solid and full body

Hi CKKeung , thank you for your comment about QSA topline fuse
One more question, have you ever tried PowerHouse Zero2 fuses?

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung , thank you for your comment about QSA topline fuse
One more question, have you ever tried PowerHouse Zero2 fuses?
Hi Huy Hoang,
Are you in HK or Southeast Asia?
:D

Powerhouse fuses are made in USA but the boss & designer is in HK.
Although he is a frd of mine, Powerhouse fuses are not my cup of tea all along, until the recently launched Zero2.

I have chances to compare it with the Brimar older black colour version only.
Zero2 is faster but a bit leaner.
Brimar black is richer but less agile.
Both are good fuses and suitable for frontends & preamps.

Reactions: PhoenixRising

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing