Question about Meitner MA3 and DSD256

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I've been looking at the Meitner MA3 as a possible upgrade from my HoloAudio May KTE. I could eliminate my preamp, and Lumin streamer in my chain with it as well. I use Roon.

My issue with the MA3 is how it handles DSD256 files. It only converts up to DSD128. I am assuming it will just downsample DSD256 files? Is there any plan to support DSD256 in the future?

From what I've read it looks like the DAC works internally at DSD128, so I suspect it may not be upgradable to DSD256 with future firmware etc.

Recently I have been collecting a number of excellent DSD256 releases of classical albums from the golden age of sound from High Definition Tape Transfers that sound excellent. I currently have about 40 cherished albums in DSD256 or DSD 512.

Also, has anybody done a direct comparison of the MA3 and the May?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
From what I've read it looks like the DAC works internally at DSD128, so I suspect it may not be upgradable to DSD256 with future firmware etc.
The MA3 upsamples internally to 16xDSD like its EMMlabs brothers but accepts only 2xDSD (via DoP), DXD (352/384kHz) over USB Audio. For DSD256 via DoP it must be 768kHz capable for PCM. I would contact Meitner if there are is any plan to support DSD256 in the future.

Matt

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
The MA3 upsamples internally to 16xDSD like its EMMlabs brothers but accepts only 2xDSD (via DoP), DXD (352/384kHz) over USB Audio. For DSD256 via DoP it must be 768kHz capable for PCM. I would contact Meitner if there are is any plan to support DSD256 in the future.

Matt
But if I am using the internal Roon as source it won't be using DoP?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
But if I am using the internal Roon as source it won't be using DoP?
AFAIK, it doesn't matter what Roon does it accepts DoP only. But to be sure I would ask Meitner.

Matt

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Here is the reply I got from Meitner support: "No, MA3 only support up to DSD128. Roon does the down-sampling then forwards the stream onto the MA3. Yes there is a plan in future to support DSD256."

normie610

Jan 19, 2023
Here is the reply I got from Meitner support: "No, MA3 only support up to DSD128. Roon does the down-sampling then forwards the stream onto the MA3. Yes there is a plan in future to support DSD256."
I’ve asked them about this exact topic, and got the same answer, but still not clear whether we need to set a DSP in Roon just to downsample DSD256 and 512, or Roon will do the downsample automatically. Did you by any chance get further explanation from them?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I am also not sure of this. I have had a dac that I needed to setup max bitrate before. I don't think Roon does this automatically.

Reactions: normie610

ayang90

Mar 19, 2023
I use Roon running on a Nucleus+ with my MA3 and it automatically downsamples DSD256 files. I didn’t have to configure anything on the Roon side so I think it knows the capability of the MA3.

Here is a screen shot of the signal path with a DSD256 file over The USB interface.
E75CD91B-F6A5-4BC2-B32D-281A399C2A47.jpeg

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022

Matt
All the Lampi DACs, including my Pacific, support DSD 256 natively. My Pacific includes a built in Roon streamer. That said, I never listen to anything higher than DSD64. Generally, I find DSD to be problematic in terms of generating a large amount of ultrasonic noise. Personally, I find no correlation between sampling rate and recording quality. Most of the greatest recordings in the past 40 years of digital audio are 16-bit 44.1khz Redbook. There are of course some great high res recordings, and I have over 1000 SACDs. But they vary a lot in recording quality. The Pacific sounds fabulous no matter what resolution the file is in, which makes my life much simpler. I ignore file format considerations entirely and just enjoy the music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing