Recommendation for $7,000 System

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Depends on the room. I've seen some unobtrusive executions. I'm not suggesting these rooms are optimized for sound, just that it can be done.

Sure, we aren't exactly sure what we're dealing with.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
A friend of mine inherited 2,000 CDs. He also has a turntable, and he wants to be able to play records.

He and his wife enjoy opera, but they also enjoy a wide variety of other music, including chamber music.

He is looking to purchase a stereo for not more than a total of $7,000. The stereo should not take up an entire room, but it does not have to be inconspicuous either.

Please make full system suggestions.

Thank you!

Bowers& Wilkins 703 s2 ($4000msrp), $3500 street

(Alternative 1: Rega RX-3, $2000, these are better than the bigger RX5)

Alternative 2: Eminent Technology 8b, with almost mandatory Sound Anchor stands- $2800, these are IDEAL for opera lovers, like myself, as few other speakers will portray the sound-field with singers at their TRUE size, top 5 speakers in the world at any price).

Amplifiers:

Rega Mira 3 integrated, about $500, in used in condition (most musical amp at a sane price, better than most of current Rega line up)

Alternative 1: Rega Elicit R $2000 used, especially for the Eminent Tech 8bs, as these are power hungry.

SMSL VMV D1 ($1300 at amazon ) DAC, supremely musical and detailed, better, or equally good sounding than most dacs discussed at these forums, at a shockingly low price. Sounds best when used with thru balanced out ( I use Cardas XLR/RCA adapters, $150). Needs very good power cord. Cardas Golden Power Cord $150, used.

Alternative: SMSL M9 dac, $450, also a shockingly good and analog sounding dac at amazingly good price.... (amazon)

Both SMSL dacs need at least 500 hours of break in. Fully blossom at 1000 hours of break in.

Sony UBP X-800 BLU RAY player used as transport $200 street

Cardas Clear Coaxial cable $200,

Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables , used , at about $800-1000, in case of B&W and Eminent Tech needs to be double shotgun configuration, i.e AVOID factory jumpers, other than same Golden Cross....

Cardas Golden Cross RCA interconnect about $300-350 (used)

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A friend of mine inherited 2,000 CDs. He also has a turntable, and he wants to be able to play records.

He and his wife enjoy opera, but they also enjoy a wide variety of other music, including chamber music.

He is looking to purchase a stereo for not more than a total of $7,000. The stereo should not take up an entire room, but it does not have to be inconspicuous either.

Please make full system suggestions.

Thank you!

Ron,

I think we must know a lot more about the live style of your friend before advising. IMHO in this type of advising thread we should get audio systems for people, not push people in our favorite audio equipment.

Reactions: NorthStar

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ron,

I think we must know a lot more about the live style of your friend before advising. IMHO in this type of advising thread we should get audio systems for people, not push people in our favorite audio equipment.

Exactly.
That's why he should go to a dealer, explain what he needs and start from there.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Tell him to bump it up a bit to $7900 and get the Voxativ Absolut Hagen system. I heard it at CAS, and it sounds really good. It is also uncomplicated for a lot of functionality, though cell phone is used to communicate with it.

Hook up the turntable/phono pre to the analog inputs. Has all the streaming stuff and input DAC for CD etc.

The Voxativ Absolut Hagen System

Tired of having lots of stereo devices, interconnect and power cables in your living room? Why so complicated? The Absolut Box is a hand-crafted component combining a cutting-edge DAC/DSP with Class A/B amplification – custom tailored to make the most of the frequency response from Voxativ's most accessible line of loudspeakers, the Hagen monitors - The Hagen Absolut.

To play music, all you need is a smartphone, tablet or computer to wirelessly connect your source files or streaming service (TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify, ROON endpoint, etc.) to the Absolut Box via WiFi, AirPlay or Bluetooth (APTX). And the best thing... all this for only $7,900.

The Voxativ Hagen Absolut System consists of:
- a pair of Voxativ Hagen speakers with AF-1n drivers
- Absolut Box for Hagen speakers
- a pair Voxativ Speaker Cables, 2 meter Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 6.17.28 PM.png

Reactions: hogen

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
I am currently using a Devialet D200/ Audio Physic Virgo 25/ Rega RP6 system in a larger room. If they are willing to buy used, it should be possible to assemble a similar system within that budget. However, auditioning components before buying might be an issue.

If they are in the PNW, they are welcome to come home and check it out.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
About half of that should go to the speakers, so I’d take him to a few dealers and hear $3500 speakers and see what kind of sound he enjoys. Not enough inputs to make a suggestion.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Tell him to bump it up a bit to $7900 and get the Voxativ Absolut Hagen system. I heard it at CAS, and it sounds really good. It is also uncomplicated for a lot of functionality, though cell phone is used to communicate with it.

Hook up the turntable/phono pre to the analog inputs. Has all the streaming stuff and input DAC for CD etc.

The Voxativ Absolut Hagen System

Tired of having lots of stereo devices, interconnect and power cables in your living room? Why so complicated? The Absolut Box is a hand-crafted component combining a cutting-edge DAC/DSP with Class A/B amplification – custom tailored to make the most of the frequency response from Voxativ's most accessible line of loudspeakers, the Hagen monitors - The Hagen Absolut.

To play music, all you need is a smartphone, tablet or computer to wirelessly connect your source files or streaming service (TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify, ROON endpoint, etc.) to the Absolut Box via WiFi, AirPlay or Bluetooth (APTX). And the best thing... all this for only $7,900.

The Voxativ Hagen Absolut System consists of:
- a pair of Voxativ Hagen speakers with AF-1n drivers
- Absolut Box for Hagen speakers
- a pair Voxativ Speaker Cables, 2 meter View attachment 59300
This system was good in Munich also I think.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Magnepan 1.7s
JL Fathom F112/113
Or alternatively, get Rockport Merak Sheritan II - 2nd hand and skip Maggie/JL combination
McIntosh integrated?
Oppo BD83SE or other 2nd hand Oppo Player

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Pay someone to rip his CDs,
Get an used Mcintosh MA6700 integrated amp with built in phono and Dac
Get an Avid Ingenium tt
Used JBLs
Done.

Reactions: assessor43

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Save more money. The system I saw for $10k may be available at a additional 20% off.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Vpi $550
Technics SL $1200 1650
Martin Logan sub $ 800
Parasound Halo 2.1 $2500
Sumiko Blue Point $ 400
Magnepan IRS. $600
Anticables ?$200
Basic system w/sales 6% sales tax $7102.++
Optional Lampazator Amber 3 DAC $2700..
All available via internet. 30 day trial

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Last edited:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
a used pair of 7200's a 218 and affordable turntable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing