Recommendations for Dining And Shopping in Hong Kong

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For sure, Steve. Although nearly all global markets are undergoing volatility today, the Asian markets have had an incredible surge over the last 10-15 years of growth. And the sheer population sizes accentuate the wave of wealth creation. That wealth creation has then resulted in re-investment and further expansion which has continued to make an enormous change not just to the big picture or the uber wealthy but to 'street level' economy as well. Yes, primarily down to the new 'middle class' (which is expect in the not too distant future to be as big as the entire EU or US population!)...but i suspect further down the economic ladder as well.

No doubt Philippines will be an adventure as well...look forward to reading all about it.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just planed in back home to Manila a little past midnight today, and boy, was this trip something else. It's the best single day audio related event for me by far, and mainly due to the fact that our friends were in the show to provide great company - laughs, food, wine, and looking at audio candy event to boot. I haven't attended the HK show since the first one - in 1990, and this one is a huge leap in terms of logistical planning, order, display of fabulously mind-boggling gears and many tons of software all under one mammoth building. Impressive to say the least. It was really great to see Steve again after 5 years and I couldn't wait for the show day to meet him, I took a cab to his hotel to have a chat with him upon my arrival. And seeing Jack and Keith (nephilim) the next day was a sign that the day was going to be a blast. Thanks to Gary too for providing us with show tickets and to escape the long queue, and to Keith for hosting a great lunch and to Jack, a big thank you for inviting us to Mott 32. I've never seen a restaurant ambiance quite like it in my life, much less dine in it. :D 3 stories down reminds me of a bunker, dark like a bat cave, music switching from jazz to techno or whatever you call it, :D and boy, wine to go with Chinese dimsum and roast duck! Amazing combo. And you're right, that dumpling with quail egg yolk is a KILLER. I just might have to check my cholesterol level if I got dizzy, LOL. What a day, what a night, till midnight. I had a blast. I'll post some pictures later in the day, but here's one in the early hour of the show opening. The TechDas people, designer/manufacturer Nishikawa san, Philippine distributor Jack, and AF1 owner Steve. :)

20160805_095524.jpg

And welcoming you to the Philippines, Steve.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Philip

We just returned from the show and are all packed and checked out and soon to leave for the airport. See you tomorrow Philip

See you Steve. I imagine you're already in town by now.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
20160805_100707.jpg

20160805_101053.jpg

20160805_101120.jpg 20160805_101342.jpg

20160805_101608.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
20160805_102135.jpg

20160805_103222.jpg

20160805_122606.jpg

20160805_124839.jpg

DSCN2683.JPG

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
DSCN2707.JPG DSCN2706.JPG

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Glad to see you and Cathy are home safe and sound Steve! :D

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
It's good to know you have returned safely Steve. I hope you visit us again. You could have stayed for another 2 hours at my place and listen to more music and still made it in time for your wife's return from shopping and lunch.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you for hosting the dinner Jack. I did not know you were such an excellent chef. It was nice to get reacquainted with old friends and make new friends as well. I was most amazed with your dad. He told me that he is ten years older than my dad, and he is even healthier looking than my dad.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve,

Glad to hear you and Cathy are back home safely. We are fortunate that your visit in Manila was not met with heavy rain that has been pouring in the last few days. Am very glad to be part of this memorable stint we had from Hong Kong to Manila.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you for hosting the dinner Jack. I did not know you were such an excellent chef.

I won't be surprised if Jack suddenly appears in Iron Chef. :) I normally don't eat a lot of beef but after 1 slice, I need to get one more, and a thicker one than my first. :D Really tasty and so tender Jack. Great stuff. The pasta was super too. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Awe shucks :) Thanks guys! You keep praising my cooking I might do it again! :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jack proved he is indeed a Master Chef but more of that to come as you guys are all scooping me on my thoughts. I'm still on Manila time here as my head is still confused where I am. I have several things to do this morning then I plan on posting pictures and thoughts of the entire trip to Hong Kong followed by my visit to Manila and Palawan with listening to some amazing sound systems in Manila. The listening sessions were all too brief as I could have listened longer

Steve Williams

Thank you for hosting the dinner Jack. I did not know you were such an excellent chef. It was nice to get reacquainted with old friends and make new friends as well. I was most amazed with your dad. He told me that he is ten years older than my dad, and he is even healthier looking than my dad.

I had the privilege of meeting Jack's dad who I found to be quite a guy who sat at the head of the time beaming from ear to ear with the pride he has in his family and all of their accomplishments. He even threw a few jokes my way as he smiled at Cathy and asked if I was her father ;)

Steve Williams

Steve,

Glad to hear you and Cathy are back home safely. We are fortunate that your visit in Manila was not met with heavy rain that has been pouring in the last few days. Am very glad to be part of this memorable stint we had from Hong Kong to Manila.

Returned to dry and blistering heat here in SoCal where the temps all week have been dry and mid 90's

I saw more rain in the past 2 weeks while inHong Kong, Manila and Palawan than I have seen in almost 40 years in California. Our boat ride from Lagen island to El Nido to catch our plane was like being in Noah's Ark :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Returned to dry and blistering heat here in SoCal where the temps all week have been dry and mid 90's

I saw more rain in the past 2 weeks while inHong Kong, Manila and Palawan than I have seen in almost 40 years in California. Our boat ride from Lagen island to El Nido to catch our plane was like being in Noah's Ark :)

It was great to see you in Hong Kong, Steve.... and the entire Philippines contingent. Pity I had to work and couldn't join you guys in Manila - it would have been nice to see Air Force One ;)

In Manila and Hong Kong, typical rainfall during the typhoon/monsoon season is an inch per HOUR. In SoCal, a BIG storm could dump an inch of rain over a couple of days. Luckily, you landed the day after the typhoon passed!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm sure you'd like to see some classmates when you finally get the chance to come back here Gary! :p :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Inside the huge lobby of the Standard Chartered Bank Building in Central Hong Kong, home of the underground (literally) Mott 32 Cantonese Restaurant. Jack, Steve and Cathy are headed out, and on the far right, Keith is asking the man on the info desk HOW to get out. :D

20160805_234411.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing