Recommendations for Dining And Shopping in Hong Kong

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Inside the huge lobby of the Standard Chartered Bank Building in Central Hong Kong, home of the underground (literally) Mott 32 Cantonese Restaurant. Jack, Steve and Cathy are headed out, and on the far right, Keith is asking the man on the info desk HOW to get out. :D

View attachment 28385

One of the best meals I have had anywhere and I am not talking about anywhere in Hong Kong but anywhere I have ever eaten. The food was superb as was the ambience. I don't drink but the wine selection recommended by the wine steward was superb and I just couldn't say no. In fact the wine selection in Manila was even better so I totally couldn't resist any of the selections but more of that later

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hmmm.... what shall I order... Chicken feet? Fried Pigeons? :D

20160805_133340.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One of the best meals I have had anywhere and I am not talking about anywhere in Hong Kong but anywhere I have ever eaten. The food was superb as was the ambience. I don't drink but the wine selection recommended by the wine steward was superb and I just couldn't say no. In fact the wine selection in Manila was even better so I totally couldn't resist any of the selections but more of that later

That quail egg dumpling was a fantastic surprise. I never tasted semi soft quail egg yolk that burst into your mouth to merge with the rest of the dumpling. :D

Steve Williams

Hmmm.... what shall I order... Chicken feet? Fried Pigeons? :D

View attachment 28547

I just realized that was lunch at the Renaissance Hotel not Mott 32. In fact at lunch the chicken dish was the first one they brought and had the head on the dish

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I just realized that was lunch at the Renaissance Hotel not Mott 32. In fact at lunch the chicken dish was the first one they brought and had the head on the dish

Yes - Dynasty at the Renaissance is also an excellent restaurant. The chef is inventive and innovative. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I order the "chef's choice" degustation menu.

Dynasty Lunch.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's a pity that you only had 3 days in Hong Kong as there's a lifetime for a gourmet to explore. I would have loved to take you out on an adventurous tour of Hong Kong. Pity that I had to help set-up. If I had known that it was futile, I would have taken you to.... Yat Lok. This was the first roast goose "tai pai tong"-type place to get a Michelin Star. Not just listed... but an actual star.

Michelin Roast Goose.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gary,

Hard to tell from just a photo, but the char siu looks promising. How was it?

Yes - Dynasty at the Renaissance is also an excellent restaurant. The chef is inventive and innovative. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I order the "chef's choice" degustation menu.

View attachment 28557

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I think I've been to Dynasty in The Renaissance twice. If my memory is correct, they are somewhere near the convention center in Wan Chai. Best to go early as their famous char siu and pigeon gets sold out.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
On post #125, I originally thought they brightened the lighting in Mott32. I remember the lighting ambience in Mott32 was dimmer.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Steve,

My hosts ordered char siu and pigeon the two times I was invited there for lunch. Thirty years ago, I remember one had to go to the new territories to a stand where the taxi drivers eat to have pigeon at HK$38 each. I remember the price because when my friend wanted a second order, the waiter asked if he could afford it.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I get cramps when I eat pigeon or goose. I did not realize the food was the cause until a Chinese doctor told me. I have not experienced leg cramps ever since I stopped eating them. I'm glad it was not available the time you were there.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In the USA we call pigeons "rats with wings". I couldn't do it Sam if it were available

Gee, I didn't know that, Steve. I have a friend in NY who told me that he doesn't eat pigeons bec they were like pets in the park; now I learn they are actually regarded as pests. I think fried pigeon is a Cantonese staple item. In the Fookien (Canton and Fookien are cross border provinces in China) world, pigeon was used as traditional medicine for potency, specially after birth giving.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Gee, I didn't know that, Steve. I have a friend in NY who told me that he doesn't eat pigeons bec they were like pets in the park; now I learn they are actually regarded as pests. I think fried pigeon is a Cantonese staple item. In the Fookien (Canton and Fookien are cross border provinces in China) world, pigeon was used as traditional medicine for potency, specially after birth giving.

Yes, pigeons are considered urban pests in the USA.

However, very young pigeons are served here, mostly in fancier restaurants. In that setting they are called squab.

So, while I would not consider pigeon to be desirable, thinking back I may have eaten squab a couple of times in the past. I did not make the connection and paid a relatively high price to do so. :D

Maybe I'll stick with Cornish game hens in the future.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary,

Hard to tell from just a photo, but the char siu looks promising. How was it?

Dynasty is famous for its char siu and squab. I didn't manage to get squab that day, but the char siu was delicious. Way to little of it though - it had an elegance that you don't get at the usualy "siew mei" places.

Squab is a delicious staple in Cantonese restaurants. Pigeons sh*t on statues.

Steve Williams

When we were on the speed boat from the airport to Lagen Jack told me where the Birds' Nest for the Bird's Nest Soup comes from. Glad I could never afford before I knew what it is :(. Another no for me however the best soup of the trip was the mashed watermelon soup in the restaurant Sam took us to. I've never had that before and I loved it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing