Recordings to Separate the Men from the Boys

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
... as far as systems go. I was hinting to Tim it would be worthwhile creating a list of "worst" CDs to really see what is available as killer recordings to point out how "badly" mastering can be done, and to be used as reference material to assess how well systems handle them ...

I humbly submit the following: "The Most of Jan & Dean", an el cheapo version of the stereo remixes of their material, guaranteed to send you screaming from the room to escape ear shredding treble if things are not the best ....

Frank

Almost any current metal record. Bruce Springsteen's "Magic." Amy Winehouse "Back To Black." Lots of contemporary pop, rock and country. Brickwalled and "exicted" masters bother me a lot more than the limitations of older recordings.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe even more literal. There are post processing boxes named Aural Exciters. I always hated the darned things. I had one built in to my DJ Numark mixer in the 90s. It could clear a floor faster than a fire alarm.

Elaboration, Tim, please :cool:

Sorry, that was a fuzzy, imprecise and ultimately meaningless use of a word that actually has a pupose in another context. Perhaps it is the evil twin of "musical?"

Lee nailed it. When compressing the life and dynamics out or a recording to make it jump out at you is not enough to demand attention, instead of writing better songs, these days the juice up the eq to make it sound even more obnoxious.

Tim

Ah, thanks Lee and Tim...

Sorry, that was a fuzzy, imprecise and ultimately meaningless use of a word that actually has a pupose in another context. Perhaps it is the evil twin of "musical?"

Lee nailed it. When compressing the life and dynamics out or a recording to make it jump out at you is not enough to demand attention, instead of writing better songs, these days the juice up the eq to make it sound even more obnoxious.

Tim

I imagined it was a reference to a specific piece of gear/effect that producers/artists/labels employed to "differentiate" their music...creativity is a curious thing ;) :rolleyes:

I see an EQ in my life...I'll affectionately refer to it as my "de-obnoxious-izer". :D

I imagined it was a reference to a specific piece of gear/effect that producers/artists/labels employed to "differentiate" their music...creativity is a curious thing ;) :rolleyes:

I see an EQ in my life...I'll affectionately refer to it as my "de-obnoxious-izer". :D

EQ does help. Can't do anything about the compression but EQ helps in other areas. I find it particularly useful, though I don't use it often, for older CD transfers that are just kind of thin and flat.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing