Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
$425 for the Black Dragon. Ouch!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for that Heihei...I have been listening to the Empyrean original. As for your comments about Elite, that is exactly what I have read about the 'linearity'...but naturally, one always wonders what the end result is. After all, the 800S Sennheiser sounds nothing like almost any other Sennheiser I have ever heard (bought/owned at least 5 over many years)...and that includes everything I have hread about their own flagship HE1/Orpheus which apparently is voiced much more like an insanely well executed HD650 (which we also still own and like, despite its [slightly] gentle shortcomings in relation to today's reference level performance).

I will give some thought to Elite, but for now, am really trying to figure out if we are going to keep 800S and make it work. The treble is ameliorated dramatically by the much higher quality TA Ultra cable...so that is something I just want to test over the next few weeks.

What else have you heard that sounds more like Empyrean? I do like the overall style/sound presentation, despite its imbalances.
I've had a brief listen to the Susvara and thought sublime - a bit more transparent than the Elite but not overly "thin" sounding. Take some driving though, whereas the Mezes are fairly easy load.
I dropped into Audio Sanctuary on Saturday and they have a great range in available for demo, including all of the above.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
BTW, I have been reading up on the 800S and have noticed more than a few ranking the EAR HP-4 as a phenomenal combination with the 800S to the point of declaring it almost feels like the 800S was designed for them and vice versa. You likely have seen that already. I will say...the combination certainly has me intrigued as a be-all end-all combination long-term for me.
I echo those comments for the HD800s /Xduoo TA30. They were pared at last weeks CAF.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Tidal just awarded me a free upgrade to hi fi plus. Sounds great

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've had a brief listen to the Susvara and thought sublime - a bit more transparent than the Elite but not overly "thin" sounding. Take some driving though, whereas the Mezes are fairly easy load.
I dropped into Audio Sanctuary on Saturday and they have a great range in available for demo, including all of the above.
Thanks! I have heard great things about Susvara...including driving them. I may check out Audio Sanctuary. On this one, unlike the main system, II am not as focused on the aim for perfection...as much as I am something I can luxuriate in that does not irritate tinnitus. The Sennheiser 800S do for some bizarre reason, and its unfortunate because I would just keep them otherwise.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have heard good things about the susvara.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Despite its exorbitant price I placed my order to Moon Sudio for the Bldack dragon cable..) wWthout explanation they canceled my order. I would been happy to cure any problem,, but they gave np explanation.
I then located the cards Clear for half the price on Ama,on
They arrived tpday..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like the Cardas Cross headphone cable. What do you think of the Cardas cable you now have?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I fear a significant break-in is warranted. Sich is the life of an audiophile.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I fear a significant break-in is warranted. Sich is the life of an audiophile.
Indeed! That said, I thought the Cardas was vastly better than stock 800S cable, and I can definitely confirm same for the TA Ultra Headphone cable. The Sennheiser is now fully boxed up with the dealer for sale if anyone is interested...practically a month or so old...and in mint condition, hardly used. Deciding on whether to go with Empyreans.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sorry the HD800S did not do it for you. appreciation for it grows daily
I have seen Stax/Blue Hawaii available ised.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry the HD800S did not do it for you. appreciation for it grows daily
I have seen Stax/Blue Hawaii available ised.
I can see why...the 800S is an exceptional headphone, and were it not for my quirky reaction to it, I would have kept it for sure. I am auditioning the Meze Empryreans now which are much more like the original HD650 in sound character (which I like anyway), and which appear to suit my ear drums better as well.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is breaking in nicely.
It comes with a certificate. of authenticity. Maybe cables are kind of cult like. They are about half the diameter of the stock cable and are cloth wrapped. That makes them flexible. They come with the quater inch jack that I prefer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I highly recommend this cable.
It has nice construction and is sufficient length for moving about,, but not much to be a trip hazard.
It has clear sharp highs.
Sweet mellow mids.
Deep tight bass.
True to its' name it is not dark or noisy.
While I think l could live with the stock cord this is an excellent and a definite upgrade at reasonable price.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Glad to hear. We have the Cardas Cross for the HD650 and agree it is excellent.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Cardas cable have really become a substantial improvement. Resolution of detail is remarkable. I can actually hear the hammer lift lift from the piano wire.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! The 800S is a remarkably good headphone. It is the only single piece of audio equipment I have ever acquired where I could not make it work like the magic I thought it was (and frankly, in this case it still is magic, just not for my own personal ears with its aggravation of tinnitus which I never had before wearing them).

Interestingly, I am now listening to Meze Empyreans with the Alcantara pads (not the leather ones which are beautiful but still had a minute amount of ring)...so far the Alcantara are doing exactly what the HD650's do...make music without ring. I found a Singaporean seller who makes adaptors which are highly reviewed to go from 800S connection to Empyrean...if they work with our Transparent Cable as planned, then I should be able to hear the Empyreans with the TA cable in a few weeks.

...more to come!

Meanwhile, congrats on the Cardas...they do make great cables.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Earpads matter . I know it sounds like more audiophile nonsense. They just do.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Long term review.
After almost a year I have completed the review. It is my revenge for the moment.
Unless I trip over$10k and the Stax/Blue Hawaii combo. .
Wait a minute.
I was viewing a video for Headphones.com best products of 2021. There is a direct heated trident amp out there....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20220119_153935.jpg snaking headphone stand. 20220119_153835.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing