Review of the Senheiser HD800S

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Update: 1 week later.

So something like 150 hours in...and the 800S treble thing has definitely softened quite a lot. Still looking forward to receiving this filter, particularly for classical recordings where massed violins gets a bit much for sensitive ears. But on deep house, the headphones are doing a great job...and that is without the [supposedly far superior] bass drive of the EAR amp which is due next week from EAR.

more to come...
I find it hard to agree the 800s has any needed treble reduction the 800 s was made to lower the effect on systems of lesser quality or synergy for the headphones. I’m glad it’s better for you but there is something causing this tonal imbalance. I’m also sorry to read of a possible defect. I’ll get it’s the padding considered used to dampen the highs.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say E3RMIT, that with the EAR Yoshino and the HD650s...even with a laptop and the HD650s...and the exact same music thru the 800S, I immediately get a sharp high pitched searing in both ears. Those 800S and that 4.5db in the 5-6khz range or something in that range is definitely causing me issues. And I have heard a new pair of HD820s and 800S elsewhere as well.

I think that is just me...from the various forums and discussions I have had with owners/former owners of the 800S I think a number of people have struggled with the treble...but still really liked the headphones. Frankly, I still like the headphones a lot. They're awesome...but for this one element. Even some extra bass would be more of a 'nice to have' but not absolutely necessary for me.

However, the 800S just hurts (I got tinnitus from listening to them at volumes low enough to hear my wife typing 5 feet away)...I have never had tinnitus before these headhones, and after I noticed it got worse after 60 minutes of low-listening, i have since stopped using them other than to test for this reduction. The ENT doctor has said to wait 6 weeks to make sure it goes away first.

I am going to figure out this treble thing...and with a couple more attempts, if they dont work, I will sell them.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Those HD 650's are a nice set of headphones.

I'm still using my HD 600's with and OTL amp. Still happy, but I want the Sony ZR1's. I'm flawed.

Reactions: Andrew S.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Funny...I had my eye on ZR1s for a long time, and then when it came down to it...the 800S seemed, read and 20 years of history with 4 different Sennheisers led me to 800S. I still think there is an opportunity for them to work...but its going to take several weeks to figure out.

That said, have you heard the ZR1? What makes you want to go for them in particular?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My open back HD600’s let in too much noise. I can hear the TV in the next room.

The ZR1 is a closed back headphone and would help isolate me from the TV and other house happenings. The way people describe just getting into the music and not analyzing it with the ZR1 is more what I’m looking for in headphones. Not sure I will buy it, but I am interested in trying something a bit different. Maybe a holiday gift idea.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...yes, I think high quality, less audiophile purity (perhaps) but very very listenable/enjoyable. I would apply that same description to Sennheiser 600 series...PLUS I think it has strong audiophile credibility.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My open back HD 600’s let in too much noise. I can hear the TV in the next room.

The ZR1 is a closed back headphone and would help isolate me from the TV and other house happenings. The way people describe just getting into the music and not analyzing it with the ZR1 is more what I’m looking for in headphones. Not sure I will buy it, but I am interested in trying something a bit different. Maybe a holiday gift idea.
HD 600s are one of the best value headphones ever made.I had a pair and they sounded much better than the price they are selling at.

Reactions: Andrew S.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I will say E3RMIT, that with the EAR Yoshino and the HD650s...even with a laptop and the HD650s...and the exact same music thru the 800S, I immediately get a sharp high pitched searing in both ears. Those 800S and that 4.5db in the 5-6khz range or something in that range is definitely causing me issues. And I have heard a new pair of HD820s and 800S elsewhere as well.

I think that is just me...from the various forums and discussions I have had with owners/former owners of the 800S I think a number of people have struggled with the treble...but still really liked the headphones. Frankly, I still like the headphones a lot. They're awesome...but for this one element. Even some extra bass would be more of a 'nice to have' but not absolutely necessary for me.

However, the 800S just hurts (I got tinnitus from listening to them at volumes low enough to hear my wife typing 5 feet away)...I have never had tinnitus before these headhones, and after I noticed it got worse after 60 minutes of low-listening, i have since stopped using them other than to test for this reduction. The ENT doctor has said to wait 6 weeks to make sure it goes away first.

I am going to figure out this treble thing...and with a couple more attempts, if they dont work, I will sell them.
The amp is key on headphones
if it is a high imp can like the hd800 xxx it needs a higher output imp
10 to 40 ohms
A
low imp can needs low below 1 ohm
if the above basic rule is not followed a freq imbalance is there. I just got a topping A90 amp for my desktop down south
it’s a low imp output so great on low imp cans and CIEM,s
but on my hd800 it’s horrible the bass booms and is bloated highs scream and hell I’m 64 and I’m sure i don’t hear like 20 year olds
just like all audio matching is essential. I had the senn amp dac they made the dac was ok not at our level of quaility but the amp was amazing it had an output imp of 20 ohms
if you have a low z output amp make a resister bridge to Raise what the can sees

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
First 5 minutes...using the Arcam rHead....(not the EAR Yoshino HP4 which arrives later this week and has long been reputed as one of the 800S ultimate partnering amps if not THE ultimate partnering amp). Very similar sense of relaxed ease for which Sennheiser is known...but with a LOT more clarity and detail. It's funny...you flip on the system and listen to the HD800S fresh out of the case and it's...wow, definitely a Sennheiser (good thing for me)...and then to compare you go BACK to the HD650 which you were listening to last night...and you really go WOW...where did all the congealed music come from? I did not realize it was there last night.

Of course, the HD650 is a GREAT headphone imho, both on an absolute basis and on a relative basis for its price.

But it does not compare to the 800S in the first 5 minutes of a shoot-out. Much less about soundstage/space for me...much less (despite all the reviews/comments which speak of that as a strength of the 800S)...the first impression was far more about its ability to deliver a 'family resemblance' in tonal qualities/effortless unforced music...but where all the details, decay, separation was akin to moving from a great pair of Boston Acoustics speakers...to a Quad 2805. It is THAT different. I have to say the HD650 delivers such a great complete picture, you dont 'miss it' when its not there...but you REALLY miss it when sitting side by side with its bigger sibling, the 800S.
Just looked up the hp4 amp looks killer
uses output transformers a plus on headphones
has a 40 ohm high z output wow great
has 2 ohm on low wow again
and uses tubes
no wonder this amp is raved upon enjoy and please post

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just looked up the hp4 amp looks killer
uses output transformers a plus on headphones
has a 40 ohm high z output wow great
has 2 ohm on low wow again
and uses tubes
no wonder this amp is raved upon enjoy and please post
Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful! That is really great and yes, the amp is stupendously good. Having done loads of reading and talking with headphone audiophiles who know a lot more than I...I found the HP4 second hand from a well regarded headphone shop in Singapore, and they were great. EAR then checked the whole thing over and it came back pretty much good as new for 100 bucks in services, they even appear to have polished the front chrome plate back to new.

I am awaiting a Transparent Ultra Headphone cable based on several recommendations including a member here who has spent real time with the HD800S. I am also waiting the doctor prescribed 6 weeks to let the tinnitus settle down...initial reaction was not too much concern and that it should subside. THEN I will go back to 800S (with the new headphone cable) and really listen carefully. I am genuinely looking forward to it.

The experience was initially so good, that I actually look forward to headphone listening even as I also looking forward to listening to the main system. What a high quality situation to be in.

more to come...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Here is wishing you a speedy recovery.
I look forward to your update.
Sadly my 800 is out for repair.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here is wishing you a speedy recovery.
I look forward to your update.
Sadly my 800 is out for repair.
Thank you. Hope your 800 comes back soon...what happened?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The 800 was returned in less than two week. Round-trip metro DC to Comn. A part was replaced. More later.
I shipped UPS. Why do t have to insure them against their own theft/negligence? C'est la capitalism.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well..at least they're back! Enjoy.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Finally replaced the earpads with leather. Now it's perfect.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Finally replaced the earpads with leather. Now it's perfect.
Interesting...what happened to the sound when you changed?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Don't encourage audiophile nervosa.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Don't encourage audiophile nervosa.
Fortunately not really in my nature...a fundamental upgrade, yes. In this case, the Sennheisers are genuinely hard on my ears...so waiting for cable to make final decision, but any minor edits that can help alleviate are welcome.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Fortunately not really in my nature...a fundamental upgrade, yes. In this case, the Sennheisers are genuinely hard on my ears...so waiting for cable to make final decision, but any minor edits that can help alleviate are welcome.
Have you tried EQ for the 800s? Headfi is full of various EQ to make the 800s more enjoyable. Schitt has a very reasonable EQ unit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing