Richard Thompson Live: A Lifelong Dream Come True

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I saw Richard Thompson last night for the first time. He "opened" for himself acoustically then was joined by his drummer and bassist to complete the "Richard Thompson Electric Trio".

I have been listening to Thompson since the late 80s when in college a friend had the most amazing mix tapes he would play on his boom box and there was a lot of Fairport Convention. I've been a devoted fan and his songwriting, singing, and sublime, impossible to believe guitar playing have been part of the fabric of my life.

The acoustic set was sublime..I just could not believe he could play those intricate acoustic parts and sing at the same time. The electric set was mindblowing. Men approaching 70 are not supposed to have this kind of energy and total command.

I was able to take a pic between sets as they ask that absolutely no pictures be taken.

IMG_1846.JPG

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Richard is always a treat. I first saw him in 1982, solo, after hearing Graham Nash sing "Pavanne". I once heard him described as the second best songwriter and the second best guitar player in England. His humor is always an added plus at his shows. He's so quick witted and he will interact with the audience. Some prefer him electric, some prefer acoustic. Nobody plays like him.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Richard is always a treat. I first saw him in 1982, solo, after hearing Graham Nash sing "Pavanne". I once heard him described as the second best songwriter and the second best guitar player in England. His humor is always an added plus at his shows. He's so quick witted and he will interact with the audience. Some prefer him electric, some prefer acoustic. Nobody plays like him.

I can't possibly add anything else..!! you nailed it. ALL of the above, and then some!:cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I can't possibly add anything else..!! you nailed it. ALL of the above, and then some!:cool:

Andre, i have never seen Richard live, but I have seen Robin Trower a couple of times. Since you have now seen both of these superb players recently, I am curious how you find them to compare 'live' --if you can compare:confused:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, i have never seen Richard live, but I have seen Robin Trower a couple of times. Since you have now seen both of these superb players recently, I am curious how you find them to compare 'live' --if you can compare:confused:

VERY interesting question!

First, there are several major similarities:

-Both play Strats.

-Both are about the same age and began their careers contemporaneously, Trower with Procal Harum, and
Thompson with Fairport Convention, around 1967.

-Both have had consistent recording careers, with some off their VERY best albums coming over the past 15 years.

But that is where the similarities end. There are some major differences.

-Thompson is a distinct vocalist, with a very recognizable baritone. Trower is not a vocalist.

-Trower plays heavy, blues influenced, psychedelic rock, Thompson's playing has strong Celtic and British folk vibes, with
early rock n roll and parlour ballads thrown in.

-Thompson also is known for his acoustic playing and his solo shows as well as his electric workouts.

All in all, totally different flavors.

Check out this song by Richard, off of his new album, called, "Guitar Heroes"...see if you can catch all the name checks!!

[video]https://youtu.be/abFBhMdbjIo[/video]

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
VERY interesting question!

First, there are several major similarities:

-Both play Strats.

-Both are about the same age and began their careers contemporaneously, Trower with Procal Harum, and
Thompson with Fairport Convention, around 1967.

-Both have had consistent recording careers, with some off their VERY best albums coming over the past 15 years.

But that is where the similarities end. There are some major differences.

-Thompson is a distinct vocalist, with a very recognizable baritone. Trower is not a vocalist.

-Trower plays heavy, blues influenced, psychedelic rock, Thompson's playing has strong Celtic and British folk vibes, with
early rock n roll and parlour ballads thrown in.

-Thompson also is known for his acoustic playing and his solo shows as well as his electric workouts.

All in all, totally different flavors.

Check out this song by Richard, off of his new album, called, "Guitar Heroes"...see if you can catch all the name checks!!

[video]https://youtu.be/abFBhMdbjIo[/video]

Andre, that's a great clip, thanks. Love the way Richard brings in Chuck Berry...and more impressively actually sounds a bit like him!
Mark Knopfler also has some influence at the end. Speaking of Mark, have you seen him 'live'? Mark's technique is truly jaw dropping!!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, that's a great clip, thanks. Love the way Richard brings in Chuck Berry...and more impressively actually sounds a bit like him!
Mark Knopfler also has some influence at the end. Speaking of Mark, have you seen him 'live'? Mark's technique is truly jaw dropping!!

MK is truly gifted. His solo albums are the gifts that keep on giving. Never had the pleasure of seeing him live. But you are right, they have many of the same
influences..Chet Atkins, Django, Chuck Berry, etc.

Both are amazing lyricists as well.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
For those that don't know it, 'Shoot Out the Lights', an all time great rock 'n roll album RT recorded with his wife Linda as their marriage was breaking up. Great guitar work on an album that ranges from funny to emotionally harrowing.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
For those that don't know it, 'Shoot Out the Lights', an all time great rock 'n roll album RT recorded with his wife Linda as their marriage was breaking up. Great guitar work on an album that ranges from funny to emotionally harrowing.

Spot on. The next several solo albums, Hand Of Kindness, Daring Adventures, Across a Crowded Room also had harrowing break up songs..but the amazing thing
is he always balanced it out with comical songs.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've seen Thompson twice, once with his current trio, opening for Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, and once solo acoustic, years ago. I took my daughter to that solo show and she became the only kid in high school (actually, I think that was probably middle school ) whose web page featured Thompson (and Counting Crows) as her favorite musicians. I warped that poor child. Now that she's grown, its her job to warp my grandkids. :) Thompson is a world class guitarist, though his style, especially on electric guitar, has become less accessible with time. I'd never put him on an "underrated" list because those who know understand that he can play circles around the most famous guitarists of the last 50 years. Under appreciated might be more accurate.

Tim

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've seen Thompson twice, once with his current trio, opening for Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, and once solo acoustic, years ago. I took my daughter to that solo show and she became the only kid in high school (actually, I think that was probably middle school ) whose web page featured Thompson (and Counting Crows) as her favorite musicians. I warped that poor child. Now that she's grown, its her job to warp my grandkids. :) Thompson is a world class guitarist, though his style, especially on electric guitar, has become less accessible with time. I'd never put him on an "underrated" list because those who know understand that he can play circles around the most famous guitarists of the last 50 years. Under appreciated might be more accurate.

Tim

Tim, you make some very interesting points. I agree that "underrated" is probably the wrong term, for as you said, those who know understand.

As far as his electric style becoming a bit less accessible, it is possible that is true, but his new album, Still, produced by Jeff tweedy of Wilco def. goes in the other direction.
His appearance last month on Jools Holland playing the song "She's All Buttoned Up" left the rest of the guest performers slack jawed. Heavy on the syncopated riffs
and stabbing leads. Absolutely ferocious. Standing 7 feet away and watching him go at it the other night was just something you can't forget.

Good you mate for warping that child!

Here is a far more tamer performance of the same song on WFUV FM. Lyrics are hysterical btw.

[video]https://youtu.be/oKLKj4gt8Us[/video]

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, you make some very interesting points. I agree that "underrated" is probably the wrong term, for as you said, those who know understand.

As far as his electric style becoming a bit less accessible, it is possible that is true, but his new album, Still, produced by Jeff tweedy of Wilco def. goes in the other direction.
His appearance last month on Jools Holland playing the song "She's All Buttoned Up" left the rest of the guest performers slack jawed. Heavy on the syncopated riffs
and stabbing leads. Absolutely ferocious. Standing 7 feet away and watching him go at it the other night was just something you can't forget.

Good you mate for warping that child!

Here is a far more tamer performance of the same song on WFUV FM. Lyrics are hysterical btw.

[video]https://youtu.be/oKLKj4gt8Us[/video]

Yeah, I probably wasn't clear. The "less accessible" comment was meant for his guitar playing only. He breaks in the middle of perfectly hummable songs to play the most angular, sometimes atonal solos. Remarkable stuff, but not for the uninitiated.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing