Rise of the Planet of the Apes

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No problem Steve, as was mine. Sounds like it hit you wrong from moment one.

Me, I thought the human stuff was nothing, though I liked the Dad with Alzheimers subplot and how it played into the story. But I found the ape story compelling and novel in execution. Didn't have the big time, end of the world tone of the original, nor a single image like the Statue of Liberty half sunk, but the whole third act with apes running through buildings and all that was something we haven't seen before.

From a visual storytelling standpoint, some really nice stuff like the two long tracking shots that mirror each other, one as Ceasar makes his way through the house and the other with the redwoods. Nice stuff too like the leaves shaking out of the trees all the way down the street as the monkeys on the trees advance. Liked too the rather bold-for-a-summer-movie conception: rather than start with a bang and mete them out thru the movie until the big bang which nearly always disappoints, this really saved all the action till act three, and did a good job using Ceaser as a ticking clock. But then, this is all intellectual stuff, that doesn't matter if the fundamental tone and conception of the movie doesn't work for you.

I agree entirely with Rob here... The only thing that IMO that this movie has in common with the other "Planet of the Apes" movies are Apes as central characters and similar-sounding titles, not much else... Different strokes and all that ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If one hadn't stayed for the rolling credits at the end you would have missed how this became the prequel.

I understand everything you guys say and I enjoyed the parts you stated but all in all I still preferred the originals

Steve Williams

BTW, the one good thing which came (after) the movie was a visit to "Five Guys"

For those unaware this is the new burger/fries restaurant which started on the east coast and is now making its way big time into California.

This was fun. Definitely IMHO the best burger I have had from all of these fast food chains and the fries were perhaps the best as well.

This is a great place to take the kids and while you're waiting for your order you can enjoy some peanuts in the shell.

Suggestion...go with the "small" hamburger as it is plenty big enough. The decision was also easy as Five Guys show the number of calories on everything they serve and the regular size hamburger IIRC was over 1100 calories with a large order of fries almost the same.

Sorry to be OT but this was a fun digression leaving the movie theater

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Steve --

This aint our thread for agreement:)

While I like the fries ( there's a Five Guys in my town), that I can't get the burger med. rare makes it pointless for me. Cholesterol/saturated fat I don't need w/o any of the joy of a good burger.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Won't do that in NY/NJ. Though haven't been there for awhile do maybe they relaxed that policy.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
They made mine medium rare with no questions asked

Steve,

The first time I had FG burger, I thought wowie zowie, super home grilled taste (no mediums or rares in PA though). The second time I had one it was like, ok. I get it. Home grilled simul "taste" but not the real taste. The third time I had a FG burger, I felt a lump in my stomach for several hours. The forth time I had a FG burger, I swore I'd never go back. The fifth time I had a FG burger, I remembered the forth time. Never been back.

I saw the trailer for the new Apes and the blob of CG apes on the bridge was so unbelievable and fake looking that it killed all interest in the movie for me. Give me the originals, ape suits and all!

My best,

Peter B.

Steve Williams

Peter

every time I have ever gone into one of these places such as FG or In n Out etc, I swear I will never come back. One disincentive for FG's was the published caloric intake for each item on the menu

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In Quebec where I come from (originally), and where I was just a couple weeks ago, they have the best poutine. :)

Fries made in a special low fat oil (less than 5%).

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
In Quebec where I come from (originally), and where I was just a couple weeks ago, they have the best poutine. :)

Fries made in a special low fat oil (less than 5%).

I had to have a stent implant to (just) see the images of poutine. OMG.

To be true to the thread, poutine (sounds like poon tang, same danger level) is more dangerous than Apes on biochems!

Peter B.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
No way Jose! I can tell that you never tasted 'la tourtiere du Lac St-Jean'. :) ...With beaver, wild rabbit and moose. And big square chunks of potatoes; 4 inches thick!

I admit no, nothing wild, just couchon.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who doesn't like Beaver? :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing