Rise of the Planet of the Apes

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Box Office Report: 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Scores Big with $54 Mil Opening

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-office-report-rise-planet-apes-scores-big-121502308.html

Saw this last Saturday with the family and all of us liked it. Tremendously powerful soundtrack and I was at first made to believe the chimps were real but at the end credits saw people's name in the credits opposite the names of some apes.

"Rise of the Apes is particularly drawing notice for its photo-realistic apes, which were created by Peter Jackson’s Weta Digital using advanced performance capture technology. Andy Serkis plays the ape Caesar, and is the movie’s lead character."

I read a review that it was one of summer's best movies and I was not disappointed.

And before the movie, a few great trailers were shown from:

MI 4
Contagion
Johnny English 2 (I was laughing already at the trailer alone)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Does that mean that men like apes more than women?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would that 44% women is quite high... I'd thought maybe only 10% women would like ape movies. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

A good movie, no Avatar mind you, not even unforgettable, yet good, fun, action flick. Interesting character developments. The apes do become more and more human-like as the movie progresses and this helps the audience relate... Once one backs off and starts analyzing the heavy-handed anthropomorphism, it seems not to hold very well. .. Else good movie, likely good Bluray to own in the future.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm hoping there's something in the story arc that will how endangered species' will come to dominate a species of about 7 billion in possession of guns and nukes. Still, it looks like a fun ride. I'll wait for the BD. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I would that 44% women is quite high... I'd thought maybe only 10% women would like ape movies. :)

Women like us. Why wouldn't they like a bunch of undisciplined simians?

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I'm hoping there's something in the story arc that will how endangered species' will come to dominate a species of about 7 billion in possession of guns and nukes. Still, it looks like a fun ride. I'll wait for the BD. :)

Hi

No, their goal is not domination, merely co-existence but on an equal footing... I hope I don't give the movie away (I don't think this would) but there is one point when the main ape, err.. character asks to his handler if he is a pet.... Up to this point its status was uncertain even to its "owner/handler".. caretaker?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'm hoping there's something in the story arc that will how endangered species' will come to dominate a species of about 7 billion in possession of guns and nukes. Still, it looks like a fun ride. I'll wait for the BD.

They take care of that Jack. Stick around for the closing credits.

Really well done movie -- each scene in the first two thirds moves the story forward. Confidently designed and told with no glaring Hollywood by-committee decisions.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Alright guys I saw this movie this afternoon and all I can say is "what am I missing?" :confused:

I thought it was horrible, with little redeeming features other than the way the apes (humans) were filmed. Beyond that I am going to put my head out on a limb and say I just wouldn't recommend the movie. To me it was a 4/10.

Sorry guys, but I just didn't like it at all. A definite thumbs down for me

Steve Williams

Bob

I coaxed my wife into seeing the film based on members' reviews here. I am always a fan of SciFi and films such as this however I really didn't like it at all. In fact I would say that IMHO all of the original Planet of The Apes movies were far better than this one.

My wife "hated" the film. I was very close

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi
What didn't you like about the movie?

Steve Williams

Hi
What didn't you like about the movie?

Everything from the opening credits to the closing credits. Just not my cup of tea.

As Bob pointed out however the ending showed how the beginning of the end started. Otherwise I preferred the original Planet of the Apes films.

Just me I guess

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Bob

this is just one man's opinion

No problem Steve, as was mine. Sounds like it hit you wrong from moment one.

Me, I thought the human stuff was nothing, though I liked the Dad with Alzheimers subplot and how it played into the story. But I found the ape story compelling and novel in execution. Didn't have the big time, end of the world tone of the original, nor a single image like the Statue of Liberty half sunk, but the whole third act with apes running through buildings and all that was something we haven't seen before.

From a visual storytelling standpoint, some really nice stuff like the two long tracking shots that mirror each other, one as Ceasar makes his way through the house and the other with the redwoods. Nice stuff too like the leaves shaking out of the trees all the way down the street as the monkeys on the trees advance. Liked too the rather bold-for-a-summer-movie conception: rather than start with a bang and mete them out thru the movie until the big bang which nearly always disappoints, this really saved all the action till act three, and did a good job using Ceaser as a ticking clock. But then, this is all intellectual stuff that doesn't matter if the fundamental tone and conception of the movie doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing