RMAF 2013: Gear worth making the trip to Denver to hear... And not!

Wow, drastically diverging opinions of what was good and bad at the show. I couldn't stay in the Scaena room for more than five minutes, if that long. The Wilson/VTL demo was effective, but I think the last track (Winds of War and Peace) was redundant.

I found Steve Dobbins' room underwhelming. Maybe the 50 watt Absolare amps aren't enough to light up the Rockports.

A sleeper was the Von Gaylord room.

It wasn't the amps. :) I've heard the Absolare amps other times and they are excellent.

Over the 10 years of RMAF it has grown to be IMO one of the very best audio shows if they can only figure a better way for registration

Steve - it's easy. Open registration at 9am or 10am and let people get their badges so they can hit the road running at 12pm when the show opens. Opening an hour (or was it a half hour?) before the show opens, is not ideal.

Why not just let purchasers print their badges at home, maybe with a bar code, and pick up a lanyard out of a bin at the door?

Steve - it's easy. Open registration at 9am or 10am and let people get their badges so they can hit the road running at 12pm when the show opens. Opening an hour (or was it a half hour?) before the show opens, is not ideal.

I disagree. The line us way too long. You should be able to download your badge when you register online.

It wasn't the amps. :) I've heard the Absolare amps other times and they are excellent.

Driving Rockports? I didn't think the Absolare amps sounded so great last time driving Rockports either.

Well, simply put- Nick uses EL34s- not surprised at all it's warmer than other rooms including Luke's 6550 based amps.

I'm also not surprised that someone didn't prefer the sound (like caesar). EL34s are polarizing. I personally think
they can be too warm, though Siemens NOS really aren't terribly warm. Not sure what tubes Nick was using.

No Nick uses KT120s.

As far as those who were criticizing the low end in the Doshi room: did you happen to notice the shape of the room, the side door and the false wall? What Larry, Nick and crew obtained in spite of the conditions was exceptional.

Plus how many actually brought software they knew and heard it on the system (as well as any other room?). Unless you do, the comments are meaningless. I know there were several rooms that would have received lower marks listening to the exhibitor or other attendee supplied software.

No Nick uses KT120s.

Then Nick should upgrade the information in his site - I was curious about how such amplifiers could drive the Alexia and only found there that the 90w Jhor monoblock uses two pairs of EL34.

Edit - just found in an old show report "The Jhor 160 monoblock is rated to deliver 160W into 6 ohms; it uses KT120 output tubes and a 26-lb custom output transformer built by Sowter. "

Last edited:
I just looked up Mola Mola- appears to be a class D amp and not a terribly expensive one at that.

Mola Mola is built by the Dutch developer of the Class D "chip." Of course the story is that all amps sold in Europe 10 (or is it 15?) years from now will have to be Class D because of "greening."

I actually thought the amps weren't cheap but I could be wrong. The Mola Mola was at the NYC IIRC too. Personally, I don't think they hold a candle to the Solution gear GTT has used at past shows and past years.

I disagree. The line us way too long. You should be able to download your badge when you register online.

C'mon Steve, this is the first (of four) shows that I preregistered for where they had actually had my badge waiting there for me:) This isn't NYC or CA and things more slowly out there :)

Mola Mola is built by the Dutch developer of the Class D "chip." Of course the story is that all amps sold in Europe 10 (or is it 15?) years from now will have to be Class D because of "greening."

I actually thought the amps weren't cheap but I could be wrong. The Mola Mola was at the NYC IIRC too. Personally, I don't think they hold a candle to the Solution gear GTT has used at past shows and past years.

they were quoting $15k/pr at Newport. to me they sound much better than the ice based amps i tried (bel canto, rowland) or the recent rogue amps based on the hypex ucd modules which has more of the same sibilance and 'tizzy' highs i associate with class d. i coudnt say that about the mola mola driving the giyas at newport, and i was quite familiar with most of the music o'Hanlan demmed with.

they were quoting $15k/pr at Newport. to me they sound much better than the ice based amps i tried (bel canto, rowland) or the recent rogue amps based on the hypex ucd modules which has more of the same sibilance and 'tizzy' highs i associate with class d. i coudnt say that about the mola mola driving the giyas at newport, and i was quite familiar with most of the music o'Hanlan demmed with.

Actually that's interesting since the Rowland 825 was the only D amp that sounded good.

The M M amps just sounded washed out and boring and lacked image specificity at RMAF. Not like other years in that room.

C'mon Steve, this is the first (of four) shows that I preregistered for where they had actually had my badge waiting there for me:) This isn't NYC or CA and things more slowly out there :)

Sorry to disagree Myles but my badge has never been waiting for me when I got to the head of the line. Press like yourself gets there badges a day early.

Sorry to disagree Myles but my badge has never been waiting for me when I got to the head of the line. Press like yourself gets there badges a day early.

Steve I said this was the first year my badge was waiting ;) And actually this was the first year got it early.

I just looked up Mola Mola- appears to be a class D amp and not a terribly expensive one at that.
The company is headed by Bruno Putzeys, the developer of Class D.

Steve I said this was the first year my badge was waiting ;) And actually this was the first year got it early.

For those if us who get there on Thursday and walk through the lobby and see the registration desk with 10 volunteers just sitting there I wonder why we can't get them on Thursday

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing