I think we're going around in circles. A KT 88 runs 450volts 55-60mA very well. A kt 90 requires more than 450volt/80mA, which significantly reduces the distortion. A current adjustment is necessary otherwise you will be disappointed with the tubes. my opinion.
I would rather try first out a cheap eh kt90 to see if it works in the amplifier.
If that is the case how can EL34 even be considered?

Based on Tim's comparison of Gotham versus Belden 1192A, I'm tempted to get a Gotham version of the balanced cable, rather than getting a Belden version of the single-ended.

Even though the Pendragons were very expensive, and I fully expect and respect that this comment will be subjected to ridicule, I am happy with my sound quality per dollar investment.

Think of it this way: the MSRP of every single thing in my system, excluding records and tapes, totals about the same amount as the MSRP of the Wilson Audio XVX loudspeakers alone.

Even though the Pendragons were very expensive, and I fully expect and respect that this comment will be subjected to ridicule, I am happy with my sound quality per dollar investment.

Think of it this way: the MSRP of every single thing in my system, excluding records and tapes, totals about the same amount as the MSRP of the Wilson Audio XVX loudspeakers alone.

Yes, the Pendragons are expensive, but in my view not overpriced. They and the entire system are well worth the money. I was enthralled with your sound.

As an example, there are things in the texture and airiness of both high and low orchestral strings that can be heard in concert, but which are very hard to reproduce at home, yet your system delivered on them in an extraordinary manner.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
Yes, the Pendragons are expensive, but in my view not overpriced. They and the entire system are well worth the money. I was enthralled with your sound.

As an example, there are things in the texture and airiness of both high and low orchestral strings that can be heard in concert, but which are very hard to reproduce at home, yet your system delivered on them in an extraordinary manner.
I'm delighted you liked the system so much! I hope you like it half as much on Jadis.

If that is the case how can EL34 even be considered?
Jadis runs at 35-40mA no problem they will not changed their concept.

Intel is beginning to roll in. . .

Jadis wrote to me today:

Regarding driver tube, you can use either EL84 or EL86, both are ok.

JA100 was specially designed to work with KT90 only.

So I am going to abort planned EL34 experimentation.

Another musing: Boy, getting involved with Jadis amplifiers sure AF violates my personal rule about not purchasing tube amplifiers that I cannot myself drive back to the factory for repair!:eek:

Last week I hunted down Tom, the highly respected technician from Brooks Berdan Ltd., whom most people in Southern California relied upon to repair Jadis amplifiers. Unfortunately Brooks Berdan Ltd. sold away its test bench and inventory of Jadis parts.

Last edited:
On EL84s use Mullards. There is a comparison in 6 moons on EL84 by Srajaen

Intel is beginning to roll in. . .

Jadis wrote to me today:

Regarding driver tube, you can use either EL84 or EL86, both are ok.

JA100 was specially designed to work with KT90 only.

So I am going to abort planned EL34 experimentation.

Hi Ron,

Signing in this fabulous thread of your system. I'll have to back read someday and it's good to know that Jadis made a reply to you with your technical questions. Jadis amps are a complex breed, sounds fabulous but they can be vague on some important aspects. Their owners manual can be stingy at best. Welcome to the club.:)

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Another musing: Boy, getting involved with Jadis amplifiers sure AF violates my personal rule about not purchasing complex amplifiers that I cannot myself drive back to the factory for repair!:eek:

No violation at all - Jadis amplifiers are not complex at all. In fact they are technically extremely simple. People can make them complex, however! ;)

Hi Ron,

Signing in this fabulous thread of your system. I'll have to back read someday and it's good to know that Jadis made a reply to you with your technical questions. Jadis amps are a complex breed, sounds fabulous but they can be vague on some important aspects. Their owners manual can be stingy at best. Welcome to the club.:)

Thank you, jadis!

I have a feeling that the Jadis club is one from which "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."*

* The Eagles, "Hotel California"

• Haha
Reactions: jadis
@DasguteOhr posted the schematic of the JA100 a week or two ago. I was surprised by how simple the design is. It should be straightforward to repair if service is ever needed.

Thank you, jadis!

I have a feeling that the Jadis club is one from which "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."*

* The Eagles, "Hotel California"
And it happened to me. Checked out late 1990s (JA 200) and checked in again 2020 (PA100) and I haven't left although I said I would. LOL

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Microstrip, Salectric,

Yes, it may be a relatively simple tube circuit, but you still must find an experienced and reliable technician you trust. Nobody in my area likes the George Meyer repair firm, to which I believe the Jadis distributor now refers people.

Reactions: jadis
On EL84s use Mullards. There is a comparison in 6 moons on EL84 by Srajaen

I just read it. Thank you!

I don't know how the slightly different electrical characteristics of the EL84 versus the EL86 affect the JA100s. So I don't have too many variables up in the air at the same time, I am going to stay with EL86s for now.

I have NOS Mullard EL86s on their way to me.

@DasguteOhr posted the schematic of the JA100 a week or two ago. I was surprised by how simple the design is. It should be straightforward to repair if service is ever needed.
No its jadis 80 amp ,the ja 100 have a better driverstage more powerful el86/el84 that kicks the kt 88 /kt90 more in the ass;)
Keeping it simple is usually the better way fewer components, more sound
P.S
Only the power supply should be complex and clean

Last edited:
No its jadis 80 amp ,the ja 100 have a better driverstage more powerful el86/el84 that kicks the kt 88 /kt90 more in the ass;)
P.S
I was in mid composition when you beat me to it :)

Reactions: DasguteOhr
P.S
Sorry about that! My mistake.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing