when you want a special sound audio sculpture equilibre (france)amp 2x el 34 runs in triode 2x kt 99 in pentode mode at the same time best out both worldsView attachment 118562
A very interesting amplifier! What is the output in EL34 mode?

when you want a special sound audio sculpture equilibre (france)amp 2x el 34 runs in triode 2x kt 99 in pentode mode at the same time best out both worldsView attachment 118562
Is this a predecessor to the Audio Aero Capitols amp, which did the same thing? Looks similar from the layout too. Audio Aero also made a very interesting SET/P monos. They used a 211 and an 813 in pentode in parallel...very unusual. They also had one with EL-34 and FET in parallel..

View attachment 117470The ribbon on the Pendragon is an upgraded animal from the previous BG 75 incher. This is the sensitivity spec for the Pendragon with the passive crossover element. I presume stronger magnets, better high frequency dispersion, and higher sensitivity. Pendragon does augment with the additional tweeter element, so that bat audiophiles are not comprimised.

This is interesting, if true. I personally am not aware of any upgrades Gryphon requested from BG, or Gryphon itself performed on the BG 75 incher.

Last night I hosted for Tinka's father and brother a comparison of Soular Energy/Ray Brown Trio between Qobuz --> Innuos PULSEmini --> Baltic 4 and tape.

They found the differences subtle, but they both found the tape to sound more "natural." They heard greater separation of instruments on the tape.

They felt the digital was a bit compressed dynamically and in terms of high frequencies in comparison to the tape. The tape sounded more "live."

IMG_9138.jpeg

What did the dog say?

What did the dog say?
Lola, unfortunately, is not feeling well, so she was uninterested in a careful listening session.

• Sad
Reactions: bonzo75
...whoah! With a cursory look I honestly thought you had one of those shearling throws on your chair. What an amazing coat!

...whoah! With a cursory look I honestly thought you had one of those shearling throws on your chair. What an amazing coat!
Yes, Lola saves us a lot of money on napkins.

Reactions: cjfrbw
What amp are you using Ron. I dont see the VTL in the picture. I tried to read back some pages in this thread.

Is this a predecessor to the Audio Aero Capitols amp, which did the same thing? Looks similar from the layout too. Audio Aero also made a very interesting SET/P monos. They used a 211 and an 813 in pentode in parallel...very unusual. They also had one with EL-34 and FET in parallel..
I don't know that, I just know that there is a closed version of the equilibre amp called the S 40 atmosphere from audio sculpture.2.jpeg

A very interesting amplifier! What is the output in EL34 mode?
2x60 watt class A (el34+kt99)sounds like 100watt working is really iron pig .drives apogee speaker easy like fingersnap

Reactions: Folsom
Phil Ressler (213cobra) visited me today. We replaced in the Jadis JA100s the EH KT90s with Ei KT90 Type 3s.

Transparency increased, with the concomitant perception of more open high frequencies with slightly greater perceived sibilance. I am okay with pocketing a bit more transparency, as my next step is to replace the input and driver tubes with NOS Mullards.

Playing "Also Sprach Zarathustra" and "Dark Side of the Moon" at 100dB to 105dB SPL peaks Phil heard dynamic compression and maybe amplifier clipping. Between 6 EL34s in the JA120 (likely 70 watts) and 10 EL34s in the JA200 (likely 115 watts) I am inclined to take a chance on the JA200.

Last edited:
Ron,

I like you are dusting off your Pendragons.. Sounds almost like you had a live event in your audio room - COOL :D !!!

Keep enjoying your music !

/ Jk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing