Apparently, the Joule Electra ones were also somewhat rich sounding but I never heard them.
I always heard exactly this as well. But apparently the Joule Electras were prone to insta-blow.

The one I heard that didn’t have that leanish character was the Tenor OTL. Apparently, the Joule Electra ones were also somewhat rich sounding but I never heard them.
which was specifically why i choose the Tenor 75 Watt OTL's over the Atma MA2 Mk2 back in 2001. the Tenor's were linear, but not lean. and i had the MA2's on hand for direct compare at that time.

unfortunately the Tenor's also did the 'blow up' thing multiple times for me. left a mark. took out Kharma ceramic mid range drivers mostly each time. might still have them otherwise.

which was specifically why i choose the Tenor 75 Watt OTL's over the Atma MA2 Mk2 back in 2001. the Tenor's were linear, but not lean. and i had the MA2's on hand for direct compare at that time.

unfortunately the Tenor's also did the 'blow up' thing multiple times for me. left a mark. took out Kharma ceramic mid range drivers mostly each time.

The Tenor 75 OTL in Milan back in 2016 was quite an epiphany. Unfortunately the Tenor hybrids not the same level.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
I always heard exactly this as well. But apparently the Joule Electras were prone to insta-blow.
the Joule's were a bit too syrupy, missing the speed of the Tenor and not the linearity of other OTL's; but beautiful sounding. and they could really heat up a room.

Mike, did you ever have Jadis amplifiers in your room?

I would make hangles for the cover. Find a couple pretty blocks of wood and use double sided 30lbs tape to adhere the wood to acrylic. Then your only touching the wood.

I don't touch my vinyl with greasy food hands. But I don't obsess either. I am just very cautious to only touch the edge of the outer ring. Never the flat surface. And, I am hyper vigilant to never touch the middle of the recors sleeve. I only fiddle with the very outside edge the record wont touch to get the sleeve open to insert the record back in. I actually need a tad bit of tackyness on my fingers to pinch the sleeve on the outside only and get it to crease so I can get the record back in.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and bonzo75
piano hinges in the rear and gas dampers on the side is what I had on my Basis cover...the acrylic weighed in at 17Kg, so needed

1697037714463.png

Last edited:
Mike, did you ever have Jadis amplifiers in your room?
about 10 years ago i did have me some Jadis lust, but it never got physical. i spent some time investigating the brand, but at the time there was not solid distribution in North America and i had a hard time getting info. my speakers would have been a good match for the low to middle output range.

the info i had was that the better sounding models were more at the lower power levels. don't recall all the details. i think Jadis was also going through some internal direction changes then too.

unfortunately the Tenor's also did the 'blow up' thing multiple times for me. left a mark. took out Kharma ceramic mid range drivers mostly each time. might still have them otherwise.
Wow! This should be a chapter in a new book When bad things happen to good audiophiles.

I could definitely contribute a chapter such as how to blow up 3 Soulution 711 amplifiers within 6 months. Actually, it would be a 2 part chatper. The first part would be on the how and why. The second part is why it took me so damn long to get rid of those amps.

Wow! This should be a chapter in a new book When bad things happen to good audiophiles.

Now, only if some record collector gifted his collection to this bad audiophile, we could prove both legs.

You'll probably quickly tire of the heavy acrylic shield in routine use except as a conversation piece or a vacation protector.
SME had a perfectly adequate flexible plastic fitted cover. Other turntables use a light sheet of silk or pseudo silk that just drifts and layers down to cover the TT without harm in between uses. Easy to use and replace.

The Tenor 75 OTL in Milan back in 2016 was quite an epiphany. Unfortunately the Tenor hybrids not the same level.
I heard it at a dealer in Switzerland on Dynavox horns…nearly bought them until I read about the issues.

Two vinyl cuts with Wavacs on bass panel and 75 inch ribbons. California Dreaming has the flute piece referred to by Fremer in his review, although on the Wavac mini-me's rather than the 833 monster. It really pops. I recall it always seemed somewhat more recessive in the olden day.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
something for the Gryphons?
90w in triode mode should do the trick.....

Last edited:
Thanks to some information from Phil Ressler (213cobra) we think 6 EL34s in JA120 would output about 70 watts, and 10 EL34s in JA200 would output about 115 watts.

There is no way to determine in advance if I would gain more in dynamics from the higher output power than I would lose in "purity" from the larger number of output tubes.

I think the JA200 probably is the safer bet. And each of the four JA200 chassis is easier to handle than the very large single JA120 chassis.

better than Jadis. But for power it is the VA 200 which you are not going to find easily

And you feel the VA200 has even greater weight in the upper bass to lower midrange than the non-circlotron KR Audio amps?

something for the Gryphons?
90w in triode mode should do the trick.....
Very interesting! But a little too exotic and unsupported and modified for me.

And you feel the VA200 has even greater weight in the upper bass to lower midrange than the non-circlotron KR Audio amps?

yes these are the most powerful of kR amps. We compared these and the Konzilla to the Allnic 300b on the Avalon (on which we have since compared many other amps including CAT JL7)

when you want a special sound audio sculpture equilibre (france)amp 2x el 34 runs in triode 2x kt 99 in pentode mode at the same time best out both worlds2135894-be1d9449-audio-matre-equilibre-class-a-pulse-stereo-amp.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing