Please know that I likely will never be "converting" to horns. (Maybe if someone develops a full dipole horn, which does not use a beryllium compression driver, and either has open baffle woofers both on top and on the bottom of the horn, or reformats the system into a four column system.)
I understand your stance.

Although I feel sound out of horn exciting but its coloration bother me sometimes.

My line array speaker sounds more clean and neutral with no distortion.

My horn loaded woofer is made of paper.
I believe he was mainly referring to the materials used in the CD ( compression driver) Mid/Tweeter sections of a horn (waveguide) based system. Most are various metal based materials, although there are some good paper CD ( B & C come to mind...and are quite good...BTW).
Cheers....

Reactions: bonzo75
I believe he was mainly referring to the materials used in the CD ( compression driver) Mid/Tweeter sections of a horn (waveguide) based system. Most are various metal based materials, although there are some good paper CD ( B & C come to mind...and are quite good...BTW).
Cheers....

In addition to the materials already mentioned by Keith. Bonzo and myself, I also have some very nice compression drivers modified with diaphragms made with Kapton.

current TubeTrap configuration:

IMG_0766.jpeg

Don had no comments. I am keeping this configuration of acoustic treatments for the time being.

Please know that I likely will never be "converting" to horns. (Maybe if someone develops a full dipole horn, which does not use a beryllium compression driver, and either has open baffle woofers both on top and on the bottom of the horn, or reformats the system into a four column system.)

challenge accepted

Reactions: Ron Resnick

View attachment 122663

Don had no comments. I am keeping this configuration of acoustic treatments for the time being.
Fascinating setup with the bass traps positioned centrally. How effective has this configuration been?

to make a meaningful horn system one should hornload fullrange and not mix principles for integration and dispersion control purposes
IMNSHO
then there´s be and there´s be, how it´s applied and suspension etc.....

View attachment 122663

Ron, your room is starting to look like a tube trap farm and you covered most of your beautiful floors with carpet patches. I hope that you at some point in your growth, in knowledge, will realize that all these things are not needed and that equivalent, and more sophisticated, results can be achieved through electronic means.

In my latest reference, horn, system, I’m making all the “overall” system adjustments in the complex crossovers just to show that there are more effective ways to tune a system than the ones usually followed. And then there is the “Brave New World” approach of system-Remastering for the most advanced users.

to make a meaningful horn system one should hornload fullrange and not mix principles for integration and dispersion control purposes
IMNSHO

That is not accurate. Frequencies below 80Hz do not need to be horn loaded and can be successfully implemented in Open-Baffle, as I have done in my new reference horn system, as low-bass and sub-bass becomes omnidirectional at those frequencies.

then there´s be and there´s be, how it´s applied and suspension etc.....

Give carbon diaphragms a listen. I have both the TAD drivers with the Beryllium diaphragms and drivers with carbon diaphragms and prefer the sound of the carbon diaphragms. In my TAD 4002 drivers, I actually prefer the sound of the Radian aluminum diaphragm’s to the TAD original Beryllium diaphragm’s as they sound more organic to me. Perhaps it is due to the 4002’s neodymium motor. While on my 4001’s with the AlNiCo magnetic motors I strongly prefer the Beryllium diaphragm’s.

There are no hard rules in audio.

my 21" horn sub towers have a cardiode dispersion pattern from 65 and down
have you heard 4003? a totally different sound, partly due to suspension, than the 4001(which I had before) and 4002
the 4001s have a resonance at about 3K5 which is tamed with the fins in their original TH- 4003 radial horn
then there´s neodym and there´s neodym....
AND I don´t have any commercial interest in what I post here
reg rules I agree

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao
my sub towers have a cardiode dispersion pattern from 65 and down

Interesting. Your sub looks like a Dr. Bruce Edgar’s Titan design. Perhaps you have found a way around physics to keep the bass from propagating behind the plane of the port openings.

have you heard 4003? a totally different sound, partly due to suspension, than the 4001(which I had before) and 4002
the 4001s have a resonance at about 3K5 which is tamed with the fins in their original TH- 4003 radial horn
then there´s neodym and there´s neodym....
AND I don´t have any commercial interest in what I post here
reg rules I agree

I have only heard the 4003’s indirectly and not in one of my systems. At one point I was looking for a pair to complete my collection but decided to go straight to field-coil compression drivers instead.

Go check out my various compare and contrast videos over where we are making “Audio Fun Again” and you can get a taste of what your 4003’s sound like compared to my field-coil drivers with the carbon diaphragm.

As you know, I don’t hide behind words. There are pictures and videos for all to see and hear where I’m coming from.

Last edited:
Saw the video. Helmholtz Resonator?

Ron, can you share the latest video of your system playing Eva Cassidy’s “Fields of Gold”? I think that we all want to hear what this latest acoustic treatment configuration sounds like.

my subhorns are designed by Rune Skramstad @NNNN.no
I didn´t design anything :)
a fc driver can sound in many different ways depending on DC source and voltage
Peter Millet demoed different fc supplies at ETF this november....
what is yours? constant voltage or current?

Reactions: Argonaut
Ron, can you share the latest video of your system playing Eva Cassidy’s “Fields of Gold”? I think that we all want to hear what this latest acoustic treatment configuration sounds like.
if EC fields of gold is a systems acid test, then we´re all home free :rolleyes:

my subhorns are designed by Rune Skramstad @NNNN.no
I didn´t design anything :)
a fc driver can sound in many different ways depending on DC source and voltage
Peter Millet demoed different fc supplies at ETF this november....
what is yours? constant voltage or current?

Yes, all very true.

My current configuration also allows for constant voltage or constant current but does not allow injection of the signal into the field-coil.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu