to make a meaningful horn system one should hornload fullrange and not mix principles for integration and dispersion control purposes
IMNSHO
then there´s be and there´s be, how it´s applied and suspension etc.....

What I had in mind, actually, is 1) Diesis Roma with another pair of open baffle woofers on top, or 2) Diesis Roma re-formatted into a four column system with smaller mid-bass woofers above and below the horn driver, and with three of the current large woofers in a vertical array in a separate tower.

What I had in mind, actually, is 1) Diesis Roma with another pair of open baffle woofers on top, or 2) Diesis Roma re-formatted into a four column system with smaller mid-bass woofers above and below the horn driver, and with three of the current large woofers in a vertical array in a separate tower.

Why would someone complicate a simple horn design with MTM dappolito stuff? Just because Rockport Arrakis sells for 200k plus and you got that bee in your bonnet from there?

How many successful Dappolito designs did you listen to?

Why would someone complicate a simple horn design with MTM dappolito stuff?

I was trying to suggest to you what could, in theory, possibly, maybe convert me to horns. I'm not trying to persuade you of anything.

Not a big complication – – just patch in and bolt on two more woofers.

I am a line array person. Not that I can hear the difference, necessarily, but it does not make theoretical sense to me to have low frequencies coming out of the bottom of the cabinet and high frequencies coming out of the top of the cabinet. At least the D'Appolito makes things vertically symmetrical, and generates a seemingly truer point source.
Just because Rockport Arrakis sells for 200k plus and you got that bee in your bonnet from there?

How many successful Dappolito designs did you listen to?

Off the top of my head:

Rockport Arrakis

VSA VR-11SE Mk. II

VSA Ultra 11

VSA Endeavor E-5

Evolution Acoustics MM7

Gryphon Kodo

PBN M777

Goebel Divin Majestic

Goebel Divin Noblesse

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2
I was trying to suggest to you what could, in theory, possibly, maybe convert me to horns. I'm not trying to persuade you of anything.

I am a line array person. Not that I can hear the difference, necessarily, but it does not make theoretical sense to me to have low frequencies coming out of the bottom of the cabinet and high frequencies coming out of the top of the cabinet. At least the D'Appolito makes things vertically symmetrical, and generates a seemingly truer point source.

Off the top of my head:

Rockport Arrakis

VSA VR-11SE Mk. II

VSA Ultra 11

VSA Endeavor E-5

Evolution Acoustics MM7

Gryphon Kodo

PBN M777

Goebel Divin Majestic

Goebel Divin Noblesse

Are these your favourite speakers having heard them in good conditions or are these just expensive Dappolitos?

Reactions: vernonwtx
Are these your favourite speakers having heard them in good conditions or are these just expensive Dappolitos?

I thought each of these sounded good in the systems and environments in which I heard them.

Bonzo ,

Audio gear mentioned doesn't have to be your favorite or your must have, to be recognized as a good product. Audio is too subjective in nature to be totally dismissive, so things can in turn not be for me or you ,but worthy in design to comment positive on ..

Regards

Last edited:
I feel that some Bonzo line of logic is gearing up, something like "since you haven't heard what you're talking about, and thus you cannot prove to me on data points that it actually sounds better than what you have heard, the D'Appolito array for horns idea makes no sense."

No need for an argument. Just enjoy New Year's Day!

I thought each of these sounded good in the systems and environments in which I heard them.

Ok, so not proper set ups since you side stepped the question. The reason for the question is I am trying to understand if there is a sonic evidence or just design bias

Design Bias is obvious everywhere ..!

When Ron see’s a linesource or panel speakers he hits the brakes and has to sit down, for a taste..

Pretty much like you when you see a horn design .. :)

When Ron see’s a linesource or panel speakers he hits the brakes and has to sit down, for a taste..

I hit the brakes for both speaker types!

pretty clueless comment, given that I liked electrostats and Apogees and dislike 95%horns. But your comment sounds cool so people will like it. Just check amount of panel converts to horns

Last edited:

Off the top of my head:

Rockport Arrakis

VSA VR-11SE Mk. II

VSA Ultra 11

VSA Endeavor E-5

Evolution Acoustics MM7

Gryphon Kodo

PBN M777

Goebel Divin Majestic

Goebel Divin Noblesse
20231008_152119475_iOS.jpg
tweeter/mid on top....midbass below......subhorns out on side....not D´Appolito, but same idea

Reactions: Scott Naylor
But are the woofers paper like PeterA?

most is the woofers like Altec 515 series, jbl 2220 a, etc are paper woofers. The beryllium/paper/aluminium etc choice that was being discussed is only for compression drivers for the upper ranges above the woofers. Full ranges like Lowther AER are also paper.

That’s Ron’s favorite track. He plays it endlessly according to him.
I have several favorite tracks. And I play each of them endlessly.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
quite a challenge for a million dollar system......
A million dollar system? Mine? No.

The MSRP of my entire system, including cables and the A820, is just slightly higher than the MSRP of Magico M7 loudspeakers.

I actually think my system is relatively good value in terms of the prices of many current components.

The four column Pendragons (with built-in 1,000 watt Class AB Gryphon amplifiers) cost slightly more at full list price than the Wilson Audio Alexx V costs today. The Jadis amplifiers cost $8,500, and, sonically speaking, I wouldn't trade them for Boulder 3050 monos.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu