Hi Brad!

I don't know.

Yes – with real valves.

No, I did not try the Balance with the base model power supply unit.

Michael Fremer recommends the RoNt, as do numerous WBF members. So that was more than good enough for me.

My other angle of thought is that if Helmut feels strongly about it -- as he apparently does -- that is also good enough for me.

The Balance has been fitted with the Sinus motor since early 2013. Mine was one of the first models fitted with the Sinus Model. I ordered it in October 2012 and got it once the new development was presented at the 2013 CES.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab
Very cool Ron. I look forward to your future reports about the sonic differences between those two combinations and the difference between the two cartridges on the Reed arm based on the previous configuration.

Do you have JR’s shims between the cartridge body and headshell? I think I remember reading that JR created shims for you when you sent in these two cartridges for evaluation and analysis.

finally, it looks as though there is some material or pattern on the top of your turntable platter. What is that? Those white markings.

Do you have JR’s shims between the cartridge body and headshell? I think I remember reading that JR created shims for you when you sent in these two cartridges for evaluation and analysis.
I can see the brass shim between the headshell and cartridge.

Thank you. I did not know they are brass. Do you know what those white oval devices are on top of each head shell under the mounting screws?
I believe JR uses these to tighten the screws. Not for any correction.

Two cartridge/tonearm combinations are working, thanks to J.R. Boisclair, set-up maven extraordinaire, of WAM Engineering!

View attachment 123383

View attachment 123384

View attachment 123385
Ron,

Maybe a good approach would have been to swap the arms with each other, so the Reed T5 would sit where the Graham sits and vice versa. In that case you should be able to use the longer arm on the Graham without bumping in to each other. Also, the Graham arm would safely swing back to it’s restning position if it would sit where the T5 sits right now. This (could) be an approach to much easier and more safe operation of the whole turntable. It would look equally good ;) . Maybe something to concider?

/ Jk

Ron,

Maybe a good approach would have been to swap the arms with each other, so the Reed T5 would sit where the Graham sits and vice versa. In that case you should be able to use the longer arm on the Graham without bumping in to each other. Also, the Graham arm would safely swing back to it’s restning position if it would sit where the T5 sits right now. This (could) be an approach to much easier and more safe operation of the whole turntable. It would look equally good ;) . Maybe something to concider?

/ Jk

No, because the Brinkmann extended arm-base for the Reed5T was custom drilled for its current position.

No, because the Brinkmann extended arm-base for the Reed5T was custom drilled for its current position.
Ohh ohh… okay… nicht gut…!
So a shorter arm on the Graham mayby is the better approach then..?

Me curious:
You have not concider a new custom made armbase to move the T5 to the left position, so the Graham have more space in the right position. It would have been nice for you to have both options. Even though I know it is a big task (and expensive) to undertake.

/ Jk

Looks in the video, like you would be able to move the whole T5 arm and armbase to the left side, and move the Graham armbase and bracket to the right side, but I maybe wrong.

This however would mean a complete disassemble of the turntable and a complete new setup… so very much work if even possible.

/ Jk

Fingerprints …Mucky Pup ;)
I noticed this too. It surprised me.
Regarding the arm congestion, if Boisclair thought it was OK, why not live with it for a while and see how much it impacts your use?

FWIW, you have good space in that room. Perhaps you could invest in a second TT for your second arm. I have two functional all the time here (via the ARC REF Phono 3SE), and two others that are easy to recruit on short notice.

I am in the middle of a project to add the Clearaudio TT2 as a second arm with the Clearaudio Universal 12 on my Master Reference. The Master Reference is made to accommodate three arms, but the more I look at it, the less attractive multiple arms on one table strikes me. YMMV.

Edit:
Regarding the fingerprints, that cleanup can be dangerous. If you snag a cantilever with the cloth, it is 99.99% likely that you will break it. So, a cleanup like this needs should be done with a small cloth, not a large floppy cloth, and put the stylus protector on the cartridge beforehand. I recommend a little Honda Spray Polish on the cloth. After smudge removal, a clean and dry small cloth can be used.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Johan K
FWIW, you have good space in that room. Perhaps you could invest in a second TT for your second arm. I have two functional all the time here (via the ARC REF Phono 3SE), and two others that are easy to recruit on short notice.

So three more TT !!

What about space at rear of listening room to install his second system? :D

• Haha
Ohh ohh… okay… nicht gut…!
So a shorter arm on the Graham mayby is the better approach then..?

That would solve the congestion problem, but most people prefer the sound of a 10.5 inch Graham arm-wand over the 9 inch arm-wand.

Me curious:
You have not concider a new custom made armbase to move the T5 to the left position,

No -- way too complicated. Plus I prefer the Reed in the more convenient 2 o'clock position.

Last edited:
Ron, have you tried switching the Cardas clear reflection with the Belden So that the Carlos goes to the woofer towers and the building goes to the amps? If so how would you describe to change and sound?

Until I switched to the Cardas, the Belden was going to the amplifiers.

Of course there's no way to know for sure unless I did the experiment, but I think that putting the Cardas on the woofer towers would result in no difference that I could perceive, or possibly a very slightly fuller tone.

Random search. Onken Altecs are usually not good, and this one is with a CD. But with the 2a3 amp, sounds emotional

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing