Was the sound of the drip three dimensional? We had a thread last year on the sound of the rain in “Riders on the Storm.”

Seriously though, congratulations to @Ron Resnick for tracking this down and sorting it out. Keep up the good work!

FWIW, I had a horrible dripping sound during rain storms when I first built my room. I tracked it down to the need for a scupper box in my gutter system at the point where the roof line of the addition was grafted on to the old roof (using what’s called a cricket). I bought a nice scupper box from a shop in Florida, added a downspout, and it was gone for two years. It returned when the scupper box had clogged due to leaves, so I cleaned it out and added a screen on the top. I’m hoping this will be a permanent solution.

Was the sound of the drip three dimensional? We had a thread last year on the sound of the rain in “Riders on the Storm.”

Seriously though, congratulations to @Ron Resnick for tracking this down and sorting it out. Keep up the good work!

FWIW, I had a horrible dripping sound during rain storms when I first built my room. I tracked it down to the need for a scupper box in my gutter system at the point where the roof line of the addition was grafted on to the old roof (using what’s called a cricket). I bought a nice scupper box from a shop in Florida, added a downspout, and it was gone for two years. It returned when the scupper box had clogged due to leaves, so I cleaned it out and added a screen on the top. I’m hoping this will be a permanent solution.
Never saw that thread but i am here to tell you tape dominates that one hands down no comparison.

Thank you for asking!

The good news is that the dripping sound turned out not to be an actual water escape. The bad news is that it was caused by a contraction and expansion of pipes in a mess of conduits and pipes and wires. Untangling those took three weeks and cost a lot more money than an actual water drip.
Glad its behind you

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Never saw that thread but i am here to tell you tape dominates that one hands down no comparison.
Actually, you were a contributor.

Actually, you were a contributor.

yeah I just dug it up lol and reread it. Getting older I guess, I didn't remember it. My stance however remains the same.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
He did not like my system before and he may not like my system now.
I never said this. This is not correct.

Saying it is not my cup of tea or something to that effect is far from saying I "did not like" it.

Saying it is not my cup of tea or something to that effect is far from saying I "did not like" it.

I think you missed my point completely Ron. Saying that one “likes it“ at the time and then later saying “it’s not my cup of tea” or something to that effect because he was “just being polite at the time”, makes me curious about one’s sense of intellectual honesty. Telling a host that his system is “not one’s cup or tea” is being honest. Saying one thing and meaning another is simply being dishonest. One admits his dishonesty later as soon as he confesses that he was “just being polite”.

I think you missed my point completely Ron. Saying that one “likes it“ at the time and then later saying “it’s not my cup of tea” or something to that effect because he was “just being polite at the time”, makes me curious about one’s sense of intellectual honesty. Telling a host that his system is “not one’s cup or tea” is being honest. Saying one thing and meaning another is simply being dishonest. One admits his dishonesty later as soon as he confesses that he was “just being polite”.
No, I understand this point fully. But it is a different issue.

In my point I'm simply correcting your mis-quote.

Instead of accusing me of intellectual dishonesty why don't you just ask me what the words mean to me?

No. I am telling you the meaning I ascribe to the words. There is no intellectual dishonesty there. Both statements can be true at the same time.

I can like something, I can respect something, but it still might not be my personal cup of tea.

For example, I like the Bentley convertible, I respect the Bentley convertible, but it is not my personal cup of tea. The 2023 SL550 is my cup of tea.

PS: For "non-car people" the Bentley convertible is a 2+2 convertible luxury gran tourer. The 2023 SL550 also is a 2+2 convertible luxury grand tourer, but a bit smaller and with a bit more of a sporty vibe. I would never get the Bentley myself because it's a little bit too big and unwieldy for me. But I think it's a great car. I like the Bentley, but it's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.
Instead of accusing me of intellectual dishonesty why don't you just ask me what the words mean to me?

No. I am telling you the meaning I ascribe to the words. There is no intellectual dishonesty there. Both statements can be true at the same time.

I can like something, I can respect something, but it still might not be my personal cup of tea.

For example, I like the Bentley convertible, I respect the Bentley convertible, but it is not my personal cup of tea. The 2023 SL550 is my cup of tea.

PS: For "non-car people" the Bentley convertible is a 2+2 convertible luxury gran tourer. The 2023 SL550 also is a 2+2 convertible luxury grand tourer, but a bit smaller and with a bit more of a sporty vibe. I would never get the Bentley myself because it's a little bit too big and unwieldy for me. But I think it's a great car. I like the Bentley, but it's not my cup of tea.
Sound logic to me. I also re-raise the point about honesty I made with respect to a major distributor of Zanden, Shindo and Wavac...I came in expressly to buy one of them, and when I mentioned my current system had CJ for years which was the only other consideration...he said 'go with the CJ'. I asked him if he could source it for me out of respect for all the work he'd done to allow me to hear some of his equipment. When he said 'no' I was shocked and asked him why he recommended the CJ then...and his answer was the only credible one..."it's better, and I am being honest." I have vowed to go back to do business with them again some day, and I will.

I will usually be polite and say it is nice, maybe indicate I prefer something else. The host will then have to figure out if I thought his system was sh*t. I have realized that even friends, who try to be very upfront and honest in taking feedback, are ultimately extremely sensitive about their systems and even if momentarily they say thanks for your honest feedback, after some thought they just build in a strong dislike for anyone who does not like their system.

All of them actually pay dealers who give them negative feedback about their components, either directly or subtly, it is just personal friendships that get affected with negative system feedback. I think I am going to charge people for commenting negatively on their systems. For an added sum I will also comment on their wife's weight.

THat is exactly what it means, Ron. It is a "polite" way of telling someone you don't like something.

If you have been using it incorrectly all these years then you might not realize that when you say it to others they hear "I don't like it".

It's very simple, Peter, as Ron pointed out with his car analogy. There is a clear difference between "liking" something and not finding it one's "cup of tea".

From my review of Ron's system it should be clear that I *very* much liked his system, but that even with tape it was not entirely my cup of tea, strictly based on personal taste.

I could listen to Ron's system with great pleasure for days, but I would not choose it as my own system at home (even if I had the required larger room for it, which I don't).

I would guess that very few people would prefer another system which they like to their own system at home, which they have carefully tailored to their personal taste. After all, this is a very personal, subjective hobby.

Here again is a link to my review. You can check for yourself:

Reactions: Argonaut
Ron is open and non defensive about his audio neurosis tendency's IMHO. he repeatedly talks about his strong preferences for particular driver types, and extreme sensitivity to certain tonal issues. and he freely admits his limitations regarding musical horizons. not saying he might not evolve....or that he is not evolving.

there is a very wide area where anyone paying attention at all would understand might be perfectly successful at music reproduction, but for Ron, 'not his cup of tea'.

heck, right now his beloved Pendragon's in their current set-up context are "not 'exactly' his cup of tea".

'not his cup of tea' should just not be taken as a big deal. he has proven that is not a case of disliking, more that it's not for him to live with.....just like almost everything else is not either.

just my 2 cents.

i do get that after 5333 posts about his 'new system' we just look for stuff to talk about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and Al M.
Joseph, Jacob’s second youngest son, sent his brothers to fetch their father. His parting words were “Do not quarrel along the way.”

This is still good advice. There are so many regional dialects of English that it’s absurd to think that we would perfectly understand each other. As Ron points out, when in doubt it’s good to ask rather than to jump to a conclusion.

Regarding visiting another’s system, when I’m the guest, I like to point out the positives. But sometimes people are aware of weaknesses, and if I’m asked, I’ll share without rubbing it in. Choose music you both enjoy … and enjoy it together.

Last edited:
Joseph, Jacob’s second youngest son, sent his brothers to fetch their father. His parting words were “Do not quarrel along the way.”
Why, was one of them digital?

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.
Buy what you like , and if you hear something better .... buy the new sell the old .
You sound like Lord Tennyson, who said Ring out the old, ring in the new.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing