Ron I used felt pads or blankets to move mine
I don’t know how much each woofer towers weigh but I doubt it’s as bad as mine are

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
I thought this was closed lol.
what you said is very true I think bass being correct non dsp is a time trial event
Marty’s room is about perfect 1db I think
how long and what he did what’s needed.
I’m sure you are one who I would admire efforts and success Mike
thank you Al.

I listened to the system for a few hours last night, playing, just for experimentation, the Gryphon woofer towers side-by-side with the full-range Clarisys Studio Plus loudspeakers.

The woofer towers operate from approximately 200Hz on down. Turning on the woofer towers of course boosted the frequency range of approximately 200Hz on down.

But I saw on my RTA on the iPad an anomaly. While most of the frequency range from 200Hz on down rose in amplitude, there was a weird, sharp dip of 10 to 12dB at 55Hz (right in the middle of the two pre-existing room modes at 45Hz and 65Hz). (The PSI AVAAs were off during this measurement.)

What could be causing this weird cancellation at 55Hz?

I wonder if it's just some kind of anomaly on the part of the built-in iPad microphone? I'll get out the Earthworks QTC microphone on tripod set-up today and repeat the experiment.

Did you move the mic back and forward in small increments to find smoothest bass below 300 Hz? This should determine listening seat location. Do this before moving speakers or bass towers. I learned this from Jim Smith and his method for set up.

Last edited:
This was just playing. It's here, so it's fun to experiment.

But it's not a great idea to try to Frankenstein together a non-adjustable woofer tower with a full-range loudspeaker.
Playing is related to having fun and enjoying your self.
And now you know for sure they aren’t a happy couple.

Reactions: Alrainbow
After careful consideration of all factors and taking into account the study of Psychoacoustics and the analysis presented by experts here, I think I have identified the problem!
It's quite obvious, yet difficult to ascertain or admit, hence follows:

The mis-match is caused by the Clarisys having entered the premises. The Gryphon is telling Ron, "I know you've found new love... it's OK really... if you don't like me just say it, you don't have to pretend." And that's all she wrote!

Good Woof'n!
RJ

It might work, just not at a crossover of 250 Hz. So, the Pendragon has been relegated to maybe subwoof duty? With an active crossover, you could use the bass towers below 80 Hz and the Pendragon ribbon as a tweet array above 3-6 Khz for a blended speaker arrangement with the two way Clarysis. LOL! Long run for a long slide? Or long run for a short slide?

Reactions: ICUToo

Last edited:
Last edited:
The sound of the video in which post number does each of you prefer?

Last edited:
The sound of the video in which post number do you prefer?

Can you record the Beethoven emperor cliburn? You had that on Gryphon too. Often told you you audition incorrectly, that is because you use music like this and the fields of gold to make a call. Only an audiophile looking for differences of a bit of this or a bit of that would spot differences between the videos, but there is no preference.

On phone playback, the 5429 seems to have what you would call “less or no sibilance” compared to the later post, clarity on top

Yes but his Gryphon one was done with Shure MV88. Amps were VTL
Eeesh! Sorry. I just replaced the old video above with the old one which was recorded with iPhone internal mic.

Strange. On my headphones, 5430 was clearer, but 5429 had a much more robust lower midrange/bass. They both sounded good.
I gather that lower mid/bass area came from the Clarysis? Nice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing