Eeesh! Sorry. I just replaced the old video above with the old one which was recorded with iPhone internal mic.

I knew that which was the reason for my 5432 post. I don’t make posts without reason

Now after hearing both iPhone on my iPhone, Gryphon has more leading edge impact and bass, while sounds more sibilant. Better music and records will clarify if the sibilance is better highs from Gryphon or not. Plus, cart and arm could have changed between the two videos as well as amps

Last edited:
The sound of the video in which post number does each of you prefer?

Ron, I prefer the second video.

Could you add some clarity about the differences? Are the systems the same except for amp/speakers? What source is used, turntable or streamer? What recording device and mic?

Why do you prefer the sound of the video in Post #5,430?

The overall sound is more balanced. The bass is less bloated, slightly more natural with some nuance. The voice is more natural,but lacks some a bit of fullness/body/weight. The voice in the first video sounds very strange. I hear some strange room effects or interference perhaps from the towers in the first video or all of those unused drivers. In both videos, there is stark contrast and vibrant sound, perhaps from the absorption panels, but some nuance seems missing.

I am still curious about the questions I asked you above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow
The overall sound is more balanced. The bass is less bloated, slightly more natural with some nuance. The voice is more natural,but lacks some a bit of fullness/body/weight. The voice in the first video sounds very strange. I hear some strange room effects or interference from the towers in the first video. In both videos, there is stark contrast and vibrant sound, perhaps from the absorption panels, but some nuance seems missing.

I am still curious about the questions I asked you above.
Completely opposite. I found the voice in 5430 is very unnatural. The bass in 5429 is better. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. I am only saying naturalness is the ear of beholder.

Completely opposite. I found the voice in 5430 is very unnatural. The bass in 5429 is better. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. I am only saying naturalness is the ear of beholder.

Yes, and it is interesting that two panel systems with different amps can sound so different. It might also have a lot to do with how each of us is listening back to the videos at home.

THe bass is wooly and indistinct in 5429. The voice lacks presence. I didn't say whether or not one was more natural than the other...neither is all that natural sounding but the clarity of 5430 and bass definition wins it for me between the two.

Reactions: PeterA
Jadis JA100
Clarisys
Brinkmann + Phantom Elite + ZYX
Cardas Clear Reflection

VTL Siegfried II
Pendragon
Denon + Hana SL
Belden 1192A

I didn't like the voice in either.
5430 had way more lifelike and natural cello to me. I could hear the strings and wood. 5429 the cello was fat and veiled.

Post 5429 is boomy on headphones
5430 more balanced little to no boom
Both have nice attack
Both videos have shouts on peaks on her vocals but 5430 has more
is this analog or digital ?

Reactions: bonzo75
I didn't like the voice in either.
5430 had way more lifelike and natural cello to me. I could hear the strings and wood. 5429 the cello was fat and veiled.
You nailed it Rex
now why is her voice like this.
First off headphones needed to remove all except the pre amp and headphones

You’re saying what you hear and that is fine.
I’ve next to people I know and this is how it can be.

Jadis JA100
Clarisys
Cardas Clear Reflection

VTL Siegfried II
Pendragon
Denon + Hana SL
Belden 1192A
I think the jadis are not up to challenge of the Clarysis lol.
but this is opinion
The VTL are much more powerful and this should level things out
I think a compare should be VTL and JADIS
same track but different amps alt speakers
my money is on VTL

Jadis JA100
Clarisys
Cardas Clear Reflection

VTL Siegfried II
Pendragon
Denon + Hana SL
Belden 1192A

Wow, lots of differences. How about the recordings same recorder and microphone? Same recording position? Room acoustics are certainly different.

Can we ask you which one you prefer Ron from the listening seat and do you think these videos are at all representative of what you hear from the listening seat?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing