I was curious about that - could you tell us which recorder you used with the mics.

Everything recorded with iPhone
By the way, these microphones seem to be specialized for "vocals" (so used in proximity to the "source", and highly directional). I am no expert in microphones but that may be something to consider?

I understand that and I agree. These are the microphones I will be using for mic-ing individual interviewees and panelists.

I originally got the Earthworks matched pair of QTC40 microphones for recording the audio playback of stereo systems, but one of those microphones proved to be defective, and I am waiting for a repair or a replacement.

Since the e865s are the only pair I happen to have around, I just thought I would try it and play with them for fun, and see if we hear any difference versus the internal iPhone mic.

I think (and it could very well be merely the power of positive perception bias) that Fields of Gold A (with the dual external mics) has a sense of broader sound/wider "sound-stage."

It is evidence of what is being heard. You have it, just avoid saying it
That doesn't answer my yes/no question.

Is your "videos work" view a bias of yours?

Statements are made on the basis of facts. I have a series of events where blind testing on videos leads to the right decision - you make the conclusion after that.

In your case, you seem to be making a statement "videos don't work" ignoring the evidence, like you did yesterday, interjecting that statement in a post where it wasn't asked for.

Reactions: awsmone
Why are you asking this when you clearly don’t validate and confirm your own system!
That was my point. You can neither validate nor confirm.
I’m fact you “remaster” the recording (call it what you want it is a glorified tone control) and therefore there is no way it’s true to the recording…why would you now challenge others on that?
I’m in no way trying to be true to the recordings. I have never claimed that. I’m making the recordings and my systems sound the way I want them to sound, which the rest of you are also doing through your choices of equipment, cables and accessories.

As far as “tone control” no that is what you and others are doing with your equipment and cable choices. What I’m doing is more advanced and sophisticated. You have no idea.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: morricab
Statements are made on the basis of facts. I have a series of events where blind testing on videos leads to the right decision - you make the conclusion after that.

In your case, you seem to be making a statement "videos don't work" ignoring the evidence, like you did yesterday, interjecting that statement in a post where it wasn't asked for.

given the type of vinyl recordings you use for auditioning, I understand why you want answers in binary

Everything recorded with iPhone

I understand that and I agree. These are the microphones I will be using for mic-ing individual interviewees and panelists.

I originally got the Earthworks matched pair of QTC40 microphones for recording the audio playback of stereo systems, but one of those microphones proved to be defective, and I am waiting for a repair or a replacement.

Since the e865s are the only pair I happen to have around, I just thought I would try it and play with them for fun, and see if we hear any difference versus the internal iPhone mic.

I think (and it could very well be merely the power of positive perception bias) that Fields of Gold A (with the dual external mics) has a sense of broader sound/wider "sound-stage."

I listened the first time casually and nothing stuck out, but when you listen more attentively there is a slight difference between A and B/C. Perhaps if you plugged in the microphones to a professional recorder (even a Tascam portable recorder, for example) the difference would be more apparent. Anyway, you will probably get better results with the Earthworks.

given the type of vinyl recordings you use for auditioning, I understand why you want answers in binary

• Haha
Reactions: cal3713
That was my point. You can neither validate nor confirm.

I’m in no way trying to be true to the recordings. I have never claimed that. I’m making the recordings and my systems sound the way I want them to sound, which the rest of you are also doing through your choices of equipment, cables and accessories.

As far as “tone control” no that is what you and others are doing with your equipment and cable choices. What I’m doing is more advanced and sophisticated. You have no idea.
Ok, so you have advanced and sophisticated tone controls…great, nothing wrong with that. Digital room correction could also be considered remastering because you are modifying the music file to compensate for frequency/time errors created by the system.

Let’s not get started on who has done the most “tone controlling “ with equipment and cables…your 40 systems kind of makes you one of the all-time champs at that route…clearly you are a man searching for a sound…just not a realistic one…

clearly you are a man searching for a sound…just not a realistic one…

My audio adventures and explorations are a different matter. I have a fertile mind so I like to try out different ideas but I don’t fool myself into believing that I’m going to reach a mirage.

Ron, perhaps Bonzo does not want to answer your question. You never answered a bunch of my questions about the Pendragon/Clarisys video comparisons. I asked multiple times and concluded that you do not want to answer those questions here.

I’m in no way trying to be true to the recordings.
If you have seen an artist live, do you try to approximate their sound? To me, if I've heard someone live and my setup "improves" so that their voice/guitar/etc. sounds more like what I've heard live, then I consider that a good thing. Most musicians spend a lot of time finding their sound (through equipment, touch, breath control and the like).

Seems like we should honor that and I think that is the common thread running through our different approaches. Of course, there is not one path for doing so and that is what is interesting about looking at the systems in the signatures and reading the posts about their most recent attempt at reaching the goal of live sound that is always beyond reach.

Reactions: Rexp
If you have seen an artist live, do you try to approximate their sound? To me, if I've heard someone live and my setup "improves" so that their voice/guitar/etc. sounds more like what I've heard live, then I consider that a good thing. Most musicians spend a lot of time finding their sound (through equipment, touch, breath control and the like).

Seems like we should honor that and I think that is the common thread running through our different approaches. Of course, there is not one path for doing so and that is what is interesting about looking at the systems in the signatures and reading the posts about their most recent attempt at reaching the goal of live sound that is always beyond reach.
Yes it seems obvious but many folks like things to sound the way they want, problem is once you start messing with EQ etc, you run the risk of losing the original musical message that was intended by the artist and every recording starts sounding similar.

Reactions: bonzo75
Yes it seems obvious but many folks like things to sound the way they want, problem is once you start messing with EQ etc, you run the risk of losing the original musical message that was intended by the artist and every recording starts sounding similar.
If every recording sounds very similar, that would indicate a preference for homogenized sound. To each his own, but homogenized sound is boring to me.

Recordings do sound very, very different and, as we know, there can be a "house sound." Consider, Blue Note, ECM, DG and the like.

My audio adventures and explorations are a different matter. I have a fertile mind so I like to try out different ideas but I don’t fool myself into believing that I’m going to reach a mirage.
And you don’t think others have equally fertile kinds and like to try different ideas? You assume they all flail about aimlessly but your explorations are somehow directed and with clear goals? Given the breadth of what you own I think not…

I explore but with a focus on getting as close to what I hear live as possible within my financial limitations. So, while I have a fair bit of gear it is pretty much focused in one direction.

If you listen to 100’s of system videos that I have shared, you will quickly realize that the changes that I make are not a great departure from the original sound. What I do, is extract more low-level & inner details with the use of HQPLAYER, I also clean up the “mud” to get a delineated and articulate bass notes, I generate some dynamic elements to make the recordings have a “live” sound and “texture”, and I also increase space and dimensionality to again increase the perception that I’m listening to a “live” performance.

The end result is not a sacrilegious or unrecognizable rendition of the recordings, but rather, to me, a much much better mastered version of the recordings that appeal more to the quality of sound that I’m looking for from my music and my systems.

Listen to any of my system videos and you will hear that they are not that much different but simply better sounding, to me. Just about every recording gets remastered by the record labels, why wait for a better version when you can do it yourself, in the spirit of DIY.

Last edited:
I 100% agree if you are using EQ that all recordings WILL start sounding the same. EQ is indiscriminate and is applied the same to each and every recording. You have to use more advanced tools such as dynamic spatial filtering and advanced mastering techniques to avoid each recording sounding the same.

If every recording sounds very similar, that would indicate a preference for homogenized sound. To each his own, but homogenized sound is boring to me.

Recordings do sound very, very different and, as we know, there can be a "house sound." Consider, Blue Note, ECM, DG and the like.

If you use EQ, it WILL result in a homogeneous quality to the sound. Without a doubt using EQ is indiscriminate and will apply the exact same set of filters to each and every recording each and every time and all recordings will have that same similar sound to them.

In the mastering world, EQ is for individual aspects but not used wholesale across the entire mix like what happens when you use EQ on the stereo at home.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing