And you don’t think others have equally fertile kinds and like to try different ideas? You assume they all flail about aimlessly but your explorations are somehow directed and with clear goals? Given the breadth of what you own I think not…

I explore but with a focus on getting as close to what I hear live as possible within my financial limitations. So, while I have a fair bit of gear it is pretty much focused in one direction.
Brad those are your words and thoughts and not mine. You are assuming that somehow I invalidate others journeys which I don’t. All I have done is to ask those that think that they have achieved something special to share it with the rest of us through audio recordings of their system so that myself and others can compare it to what we have achieved for perspective. That’s all.

Yes, I’m trying to explore all the factions of this hobby, especially all the different approaches being explored in the DIY Audio Community. Trying all the different approaches, configurations and topologies gives you perspective and allows for discovery and surprises. The Pete Millett amplifiers changed my thoughts on the use of feedback on low power tube amps, for instance. The bass in the Pete Millett amps is phenomenal without loosing any of the qualities that I love on my SET amps. If you don’t explore you don’t know what you might be missing. You have to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31
We are saying somewhat the same thing, but I am saying I feel like audio reproduction technology has been at a stand still for the last 50 years or more. Silver buttons and EQ curves?????? No. Not at all what I am saying. How about a sophisticated computer tied to something that doesn't even look like a speaker that projects whatever sound you want into the room. I am laughing that people are spending $1,000,000 and still are no where near a reproduction of the original experience. Or are still chasing natural and engaging. Maybe its just human psyche that drives the unending quest. And no $$$ will ever satisfy that. But technology wise, we haven't advanced much if people are still using tubes and vinyl.

This is more along the lines of what I'm referring too. But take it a little further. It should have a mic to integrate it to the room.

Reactions: OrigTweaker

This is more along the lines of what I'm referring too. But take it a little further. It should have a mic to integrate it to the room.
B&O does that, they still sound like shit ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: bonzo75
B&O does that, they still sound like shit ! :rolleyes:
in my high end experience, one of the most disappointing listens as far as expectations was to the Meridian flagship active speakers. i loved the way they looked, my first ever high end gear was a Meridian dac and transport in 1994; and i expected something good. i liked the design so well i even thought about getting a pair. beautiful.

this was around 2007 or 2008 or so at the local dealer. and was the same cabinet design as the current DSP8000 model. the sound was dead and coming directly from the drivers. bad digital and bad amplification/crossover....combined......really sucks. always enjoyed the Meridian stand alone dacs, but i could never connect with their active signal paths. an expensive lifestyle system. maybe someday i'll hear it sounding grand.

never liked Bob Stuart's MLP or MQA either. too bad he did not direct those efforts and active design toward better conventional performance.

innovation still needs great execution.

Last edited:
in my high end experience, one of the most disappointing listens as far as expectations was to the Meridian flagship active speakers. i loved the way they looked, my first ever high end gear was a Meridian dac and transport in 1994; and i expected something good. i liked the design so well i even thought about getting a pair. beautiful.

this was around 2007 or 2008 or so at the local dealer. and was the same cabinet design as the current DSP8000 model. the sound was dead and coming directly from the drivers. bad digital and bad amplification/crossover....combined......really sucks. always enjoyed the Meridian stand alone dacs, but i could never connect with their active signal paths. an expensive lifestyle system. maybe someday i'll hear it sounding grand.

never liked Bob Stuart's MLP or MQA either. too bad he did not direct those efforts and active design toward better conventional performance.
He made a great cdp back in the day though. The 508.24 etc

Plenty of info and err... opinions.. on this thread.
I suspect the future will come from mostly new players initially

[/QUOTE]

Well sad. Bummer to hear the fail. I got a lot of the same sort of feedback on the Mark Levinson Daniel Hertz stuff. Although that is supposed to be pretty good. But not quite there.

Ron, why are you asking us which amps you should keep? We have not heard them and our opinions should not matter anyway. You should keep the ones that you think sound best to you.

Let us know what you think after you listen to them and form your opinion.

FWIW, I think you should get those Gryphon towers out of there to properly hear your Clarisys, especially if listening to select new amps. Spend some time properly setting up your speakers with each of the amps.

FWIW, I think you should get those Gryphon towers out of there to properly hear your Clarisys, especially if listening to select new amps. Spend some time properly setting up your speakers with each of the amps.
IIRC from the intralayer photos he Gyphom is not exactly mobile. I am not sure which is the alpha speaker. is Ron a Gryphon dealer now?
:) :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
Oh, is that SE direct- heated?

IIRC from the intralayer photos he Gyphom is not exactly mobile. I am not sure which is the alpha speaker. is Ron a Gryphon dealer now?

If I remember correctly, Ron did move two of the Griffin towers out of the way and kept the woofer towers to play with the Clarisys speakers. So he moved two of the four towers out of the way. I don’t know which is the Alpha speaker.

The Cafe website mentions dealership and Audio consulting.

"The battle of the Alpha speakers" sounds like a catch phrase Jay could have come up with ! :eek: You guys !

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing