I think these Clarisys speakers are very transparent and chameleon-like. Every time I and most times guests attribute something to the speakers it turns out the cause was something else, and the speaker was just functioning as a neutral conduit.

Reactions: PYP and Glide3
I think the recording is overloading my computer. i will try again with full headphone setup.

I usually don't comment on the sound of online videos, but in this case I hear a fairly stark difference between the two. To oversimplify, the first is top down and the second is bottom up (Clarysis). As if a parametric eq was applied that tilted the frequency balance towards the upper midrange/treble in the first and towards the lower midrange/upper bass in the second. This tonal shift also alters my perception of the rhythmic pace of the performance making the two recordings sound like two different takes of the same song.
Soular Energy "Exactly Like You"

Last edited:
Reactions: Imperial
I usually don't comment on the sound of online videos, but in this case I hear a fairly stark difference between the two. To oversimplify, the first is top down and the second is bottom up (Clarysis). As if a parametric eq was applied that tilted the frequency balance towards the upper midrange/treble in the first and towards the lower midrange/upper bass in the second.

Thank you for your comments here!

Reactions: Imperial
To be candid the sound was nuffled and the bass was boomy.

Which video do you prefer, Ron, and why?

Over the iPhone the second video sounds more natural to me and less "tinkly" on the piano.

I just played both videos over the stereo in my car, and played that way the double bass in both videos sounds horrifically boomy -- which I did not hear in the room during either recording.

You had said earlier that you don’t think videos represent the sound of your system in the room. Is that also the case with these two videos?

You have always tried to make me answer your questions about representativeness on an up or down vote. If I have to answer yes or no, my answer is no.

As I have posted several times I think the videos may be able to suggest, at most, relative tonal balance and relative resolution -- nothing more.

Over the iPhone the second video sounds more natural to me and less "tinkly" on the piano.

I just played both videos over the stereo in my car, and played that way the double bass in both videos sounds horrifically boomy -- which I did not hear in the room during either recording.

You have always tried to make me answer your questions about representativeness on an up or down vote. If I have to answer yes or no, my answer is no.

As I have posted several times I think the videos may be able to suggest, at most, relative tonal balance and relative resolution -- nothing more.

I have a similar impression of the two videos over the phone and over my truck radio. I never really liked that recording because of the tonal balance and emphasized extremes.

Each video is of your different systems. In the room, which system do you prefer?

I have a similar impression of the two videos over the phone and over my truck radio. I never really liked that recording because of the tonal balance and emphasized extremes.

I'm confused about your criticism of that recording, Soular Energy.

On September 28, 2018, you wrote about this exact same tape:

I have heard Ian's system countless times and one of the highlights over all of these years was heard on Sunday during Ron's visit. Ron has long tried to convince me of the superiority of tape. I have heard tape a few times, even directly compared it to good vinyl, but I have never heard it sound this good from any system before. I think I now better understand where MikeL, Ron, and others are coming from. There was an effortlessness, an easy, a smoothness, and utterly natural sound to Ron's tape copy of Ray Brown's "Solar Energy" that I have not heard before from Ian's system. The M Pros driven by those massive CAT monos really allowed us to hear how good tape can sound. Thank you for bringing that tape with you all the way from CA. You mission to get me to hear good tape is accomplished.

Of course you might reverse course and say something like well, the sound in the two videos is so bad that I must've mistakenly attributed the bad sound to the recording.

My takeaway is simply that people really have little to no idea what they're listening to on these video recordings, and that various assumptions and innocent mis-attributions often drive the sonic report.*

*Except for un-referenced subjective opinions about relative overall tonal balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc
I'm confused about your criticism of that recording, Soular Energy.

On September 28, 2018, you wrote about this exact same tape:

I have heard Ian's system countless times and one of the highlights over all of these years was heard on Sunday during Ron's visit. Ron has long tried to convince me of the superiority of tape. I have heard tape a few times, even directly compared it to good vinyl, but I have never heard it sound this good from any system before. I think I now better understand where MikeL, Ron, and others are coming from. There was an effortlessness, an easy, a smoothness, and utterly natural sound to Ron's tape copy of Ray Brown's "Solar Energy" that I have not heard before from Ian's system. The M Pros driven by those massive CAT monos really allowed us to hear how good tape can sound. Thank you for bringing that tape with you all the way from CA. You mission to get me to hear good tape is accomplished.

Of course you might reverse course and say something like well, the sound in the two videos is so bad that I must've mistakenly attributed the bad sound to the recording.

My takeaway is simply that people really have little to no idea what they're listening to on these video recordings, and that various assumptions and biases often drive the sonic report.*

*Except for un-referenced subjective opinions about overall tonal balance.

Your tape sounded very good in Ian’s system. I acknowledge and agree with my earlier comments about that tape in Ian system.

I don’t like the sound of the two videos, but I can’t hear them on my computer through my headphones because I can’t access the file through WBF on my computer for some technical glitch reasons. I listened over my phone and I listened over my truck radio, and in both places, the videos do not sound very good to me.

You disagree about the value of videos. You do not seem to think they represent the sound of a system while I think they do capture the gist of the way a system sounds in a room. You concede that tonal balance is captured on videos. The tonal balance is what I consider not natural sounding on these two videos. I also have the 45 RPM re-issue on vinyl and I almost never listen to it because I don’t like the way it sounds. I did like the sound of the tape when I heard it at Ian‘s. Thank you for reminding me.

The tape is the tape and it sounded good at Ian’s and I don’t think it sounds good on your two videos.

Last edited:
I am criticized by fools and I am praised by geniuses.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing