Which of these replacements will give me greater richness and tonal density in the 100Hz to 1000Hz range?
Been a few years since my tube rolling days. I always found the Tellies to be very resolute with perceived accurate harmonics. Excellent especially Ecc801s. In my components (Jadis Thor) I really found my sweet spots using them combined with Mullard Brimar or Amperex. YMMV

6SN7 cannot replace the 12BH7.

ECC 81 can replace 12AT7. ECC 801 cannot replace 12AT7.

Thanks to George Lenz of Tubes USA for this information!

Last edited:
I am so not attuned to jazz, I couldn't find the excerpt I recorded on the Magnepans. This might be close.

Thank you! How many hours has your system been playing, particularly the speakers? I think the overall sound is sensational...really spectacular. At the same time, I wonder if there might be a lessening but residual sense a 'tightness' from the speakers still needing a little more playing time.

Although not there in person, I intuitively feel this is a remarkable world-class system and cannot wait until the whole thing is fully bedded in!

Thank you! How many hours has your system been playing, particularly the speakers? I think the overall sound is sensational...really spectacular. At the same time, I wonder if there might be a lessening but residual sense a 'tightness' from the speakers still needing a little more playing time.

Although not there in person, I intuitively feel this is a remarkable world-class system and cannot wait until the whole thing is fully bedded in!

I think about 100 hours on the speakers.

Come visit, Lloyd!

Yes,

ECC81 - 12AT7
ECC82 - 12AU7
ECC83 - 12AX7

Hi Francisco!

Did you do any tube swapping of the input tubes on your Siegfried IIs?

I think about 100 hours on the speakers.

Come visit, Lloyd!
Thank you for the kind invitation...would be great to see and hear! You live in a beautiful part of the world.

As for 100 hours, I think you will find with the next 100-200 hours, the speakers may well open up with even greater ease and nuance.

Dont know if it is helpful, but my mono amps are hybrid with tube in and SS out. I found the Mazda 12AX7 NOS tubes to be spectacular. Also, Ron, your system looks great and I love reading about your thorough setup process! I have learned from this thread.

Reactions: Johan K
I am so not attuned to jazz, I couldn't find the excerpt I recorded on the Magnepans. This might be close.

Sounds darn amazing over my headphones. Most of the other videos on WBF sound pretty bad and embarrassing, frankly, but you are posting a great sounding video. Congratulations, Ron, and congrats on your system!

I suppose you used real mikes for this recording, and not an iPhone?

This in-room recording even gives an idea of the resolution in the bass of those bass towers.

ECC 801 cannot replace 12AT7.

Thanks to George Lenz of Tubes USA for this information!

?

With Phil Ressler (213cobra) I just completed my first tube swap: matched pair of Telefunken ECC 801Ss for 12AT7s in the Siegfried IIs.

Well, I hear a difference! The piano is less bright and "tinkly" and more natural sounding!

Now I'm excited to put special Telefunken tubes in the preamp!

Thanks very much to Phil for visiting tonight and hearing the Pendragons for the first time, and for giving me his initial impressions and advice!

Last edited:
???

With Phil Ressler (213cobra) I just completed my first tube swap: matched pair of Telefunken ECC 801Ss for 12AT7s in the Siegfried IIs.

Well, I hear a difference! The piano is less bright and "tinkly."
Always enjoy when a different tube can make a noticeable change.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
in the 7.5mk3 preamplifier I preferred the Mullard's to the Telefunken's.

Thank you for this report. Why, in detail please, did you prefer the Mullards?

I just discovered that I have a variety of 12AU7s to choose from for the VTL pre-amp:

71FE04C1-3119-468E-96EC-AAC9C3FEE57D.jpeg

01D7BCFD-667D-41DD-A1AA-E203E48A35CD.jpeg

544DFE2D-6195-48AC-9566-90CD53897563.jpeg

Which of these will achieve the creamiest midrange or the greatest tonal density, or both?

Most of the other videos on WBF sound pretty bad and embarrassing,

and some of them sound awesome, better even when done with iPhone or Samsung

What if…???
All the vaccum tubes get a leakage - and suck all the air out from the room, so no soundwaves could be transported from the speakers to your ears.. and you starting to feel short of breath… * hova :eek: *… the sheer thoughts give me the creeps.., hahaha:D.

Are you shure not to concider solid state, haha?

Just joking with you Ron !

Cheers

/ Jk

Reactions: cjfrbw
and you starting to feel short of breath… * hova :eek: *… the sheer thoughts give me the creeps..,

with solid state music feels short of breath. sheer thought of using one will give Ron the creeps…

and some of them sound awesome, better even when done with iPhone or Samsung
Agree. The whole video is good/video is bad is a fairly painfully dull argument at this point… clearly some of us can get some understanding out of them and others don’t… but who cares really in the big picture, it may all just reflect varying perceptual modalities.

For me better sharing a video on a shared medium like an iPhone than just believing some hyperbole filled self proclamation post about what is happening in someone’s systems… lord save us from night and day differences syndrome… I very much appreciate even a limited objective glimpse shared in Ron’s video. Btw very nice Ron! Sounding good!

Last edited:
Agree. The whole video is good/video is bad is a fairly painfully dull argument at this point…
yes Al has been off for a few weeks so he wanted to announce his comeback

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu