when posters talk about what they hear in their system, there are so many variables at play that drive response types. in this case with Ron, he has been in very heavy investigation mode in his 'new' system, and mostly invited critiques. so Ron has hardened his bunker to withstand the barrage of advice, comments, digs......to sift through them for some useful actionable advice. and we see him use some of it already.

and i think Ron enjoys, as i enjoy, discussion of his system. we are all mostly like that. it's a part of the hobby that is satisfying.

sharp teeth and daggers might contain some insights too. personally when i built my room, then discussed my progress for 10 years, lots of times feedback was painful....and i was in denial. but eventually my brain did process and consider it, and it helped me to move forward. mostly. there are lines most of us don't cross.

i view the process as healthy. obviously it's up to the system owner posting about their system to suggest their appetite for critical comments. the community is typically gentle with newer posters. we try to be encouraging. i asked for blunt comments, mostly i got bouquets. but over time i did get more direct unfiltered comments. and glad i did. we are all human and like to hear nice things. and our systems are personal.

normal stuff.
As you described it. There are lines that most of us don't cross. Those are clearly, who I was making reference to.

I don't picture of Ron as thin skinned and afraid of someones response. I believe he has invested to much time and thought in his project for that.

My comment, was related to what appears to be those that seem to never have much good to say about things.

At times, someone will ask if they can make a suggestion about my system. I always say, sure as long as your don't care if I ignore it.

Well i don’t know where I fit in my comments
but as do to talk Ron. he is very happy to read others views good or bad
what I do feel bad about is has to explain what he means. for me it goes without saying I confuse most all. my own language from ALFONSO land
but to me Ron is very well expressed in his post a truly gifted poster. and Mike Levine is the gold standard in my view. if I ever plan to market a product he is by far the spokesman
some do post looking down for sure and in the end two thoughts should be under consideration
1- people sell stuff here.
2- while hobby is not the term for what goes on here. It’s still about learning even if you feel some are wrong or missing the point.
im definitely guilty of #2

Ron, do you have any string quartets or piano on LP that you can record as a system video and share.

I would like to get a sense of how your system sounds on acoustic instruments, ones with complex harmonics and range. These are the type of recordings I use to assess system performance. I once asked Jay on YouTube the same question. He ignored me and I think I’ve been ghosted.

I asked this on the video system thread which is where I thought it was appropriate to post such a video but you asked me to move it to your system thread, so here it is. Thank you.

Last edited:
Probably a very good move…EH tubes are usually not very impressive

Interesting. I did not realize that. Thank you.

I looked for four matched 12BH7 RCA black plates, but I couldn't find anybody who has a quad of black plates. I got these four grey plates from George Lenz.

Reactions: morricab
On the swap from fancy Brent Jesse Telefunken ECC801S to very fancy Brent Jesse Mullard Mitcham 6060 for the input tube position on the Siegfried IIs I think I hear a bit more of a "ballsy" sound (sorry, kind of a gross word but I don't know how else to describe it). I think the 6060s nudge the sound to a slightly lower sonic center of gravity, so I like that.

Honestly, just for the record, I don't have Marty-style patience for the swapping of tubes back-and-forth and back-and-forth and back-and-forth and conducting meticulous and analytically rigorous A/B comparisons. If I listen for a while and I think overall I like the sound better I'll just keep in the tubes that I swapped in. If not, I'll go back to the original contender. (If I wanted to be disenguous I would say that philosophically I don't believe in A/B comparisons, and that I only believe in long-term listening comparisons, but I would really just be hiding laziness and lack of patience about tube swapping and meticulous A/B listening.:))

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and KeithR
On the swap from fancy Brent Jesse Telefunken ECC801S to very fancy Brent Jesse Mullard Mitcham 6060 for the input tube position on the Siegfried IIs I think I hear a bit more of a "ballsy" sound (sorry, kind of a gross word but I don't know how else to describe it). I think the 6060s nudge the sound to a slightly lower sonic center of gravity, so I like that.

Honestly, just for the record, I don't have Marty-style patience for the swapping of tubes back-and-forth and back-and-forth and back-and-forth and conducting meticulous and analytically rigorous A/B comparisons. If I listen for a while and I think overall I like the sound better I'll just keep in the tubes that I swapped in. If not, I'll go back to the original contender. (If I wanted to be disenguous I would say that philosophically I don't believe in A/B comparisons, and that I only believe in long-term listening comparisons, but I would really just be hiding laziness and lack of patience about tube swapping and meticulous A/B listening.:))
A/B testing and short/long term listening are not orthogonal options... although I completely agree with your take, if you find yourself happier, why bother switching? That's what it's all about in your personal system.

Ron, do you have any string quartets or piano on LP that you can record as a system video and share.

I would like to get a sense of how your system sounds on acoustic instruments, ones with complex harmonics and range. These are the type of recordings I use to assess system performance. I once asked Jay on YouTube the same question. He ignored me and I think I’ve been ghosted.

I asked this on the video system thread which is where I thought it was appropriate to post such a video but you asked me to move it to your system thread, so here it is. Thank you.
Yes Jay is a bass-slam guy, not a harmonic complexity guy ! :rolleyes: Like me ! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and tima

I would like to get a sense of how your system sounds on acoustic instruments, ones with complex harmonics and range. These are the type of recordings I use to assess system performance.
6FE505F8-811B-423B-8E1F-97E45A470713.jpeg8C9B3D30-9A9F-4E31-A091-06F8BC9E57CC.jpeg87DA67BE-256A-4D81-B3E1-D1E17D420FA7.jpeg

Reactions: Scott Naylor
  • Haha
Reactions: Pokey77 and PeterA
Sure!

Do you have any of these exact albums?

No, but that does not matter to me. I do not really compare one recording to another or by extension your system video to one I might make with the same recording. I compare what I hear from a system or system video to my memory of the sound of the actual instruments.

I just want to hear piano or strings through your system on a video.

No, but that does not matter to me. I do not really compare one recording to another or by extension your system video to one I might make with the same recording. I compare what I hear from a system or system video to my memory of the sound of the actual instruments.

I just want to hear piano or strings through your system on a video.

This is what makes no sense to me about hearing a digital video of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room of an unfamiliar analog recording, but I am happy to oblige! :)

Last edited:
This is what makes no sense to me about hearing a digital video of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room of an unfamiliar analog recording, but I am happy to oblige! :)

That is exactly the point. Since it is all unfamiliar, all I’m doing is assessing the final result against the reference. For me, that is my memory of actual instruments.

Others may reference other things like recordings on systems or something they heard at a show, dealership, or friend’s house. It is all personal and it does not need to make sense to others.

Reactions: tima
Please select a track from the Nojima album.

5825D2BD-DA05-4BBB-AB58-038C70243191.jpeg

Is there a particular section of Beethoven Emperor you would like me to play?

I am a real fan of playing an entire album. It is Saturday night on the East coast anyway. Some candles and a bottle of wine. Enjoy.
I wonder if they have that on Tidal?

Last edited:
Reference Recordings Nojima Plays Ravel "Une Une barque sur l'ocean"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing