cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
so much that they got up and started dancing, so the listening session turned into a dance party!
A positive emotional response is good, but if they start speaking in tongues, stripping, and engaging in wild sex, I would dial it back a bit.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This may be some sort of electrical formula calculation for a steady-state 1kHz tone or something. Subjectively, I think it would sound terrible.

Yes, it’s a very basic calculation used by everyone in the industry. As Morricab said it is +3db for every doubling of watts. It seems totally reasonable to think your speakers would follow it. So it really depends on your listening volume. Also peaks that soft clip in excess of 100db aren’t easily detected (if at all).

Your fear would be better placed in the types of devices that saturate in current more. Mainly poorly designed solid state (even the highest echelons may be guilty in audiophile world). That’s why people go over the top on SS but will “under” power with “tube watts”. (Also if they soft clip no one knows unless it is severe)

I am not saying you need to like/want Lamm, just that 32w is respectable tube power even in 89db speakers with easy impedance.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have two lifetimes, at least, of possible comparisons of all kinds ahead of me.

Over the last several years I have taken tapes to the houses of friend with various tape machines. Each time except once the tape failed to sound better than the LP. KeithR agreed that my tape on our friend's Telefunken M15 was beaten by Chad's The Doors' The Doors 45rpm vinyl re-issue.

Tonight I performed a carefully level-matched comparison of my tape of Billy Joel Stranger versus the CBS half-speed re-master pressing. I started them at the same time so I could switch back-and-forth at almost the same point in the recording.

I think they tied for transparency. The vinyl sounded a touch ragged.

The tape had greater depth and width and sounded more spacious. Things definitely sounded more spread out on the tape. The vinyl sounded restricted in space in comparison.

I don't know what other word to use but the tape sounded more refined. The tape sounded more like it was closer to actual music-making.

I think piano on the tape sounded more realistic, but I would defer to my piano connoisseur friends on that one.

If you told me I could only keep one of the vinyl or the tape, I definitely would keep the tape.

On my other recent careful vinyl versus tape comparison the tape beat my DCC Compact Classics re-issue of The Doors' The Doors.

The tape has an interesting difference which I'm only now noticing -- consistently greater separation of musicians and instruments, and greater three-dimensionality.

Now that I know these tapes sound good I can imagine my tape listening time approaching 50%.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How does Chad’s reissue compare to the DCC

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How does Chad’s reissue compare to the DCC

it will be interesting to compare both to the ERC and to the original Elektra

I have Chad's re-issue, but I have not opened it yet. Chad versus DCC of The Doors The Doors is on the list of 1,274 comparisons I need to make.

I tried, and failed, to get the ERC.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
On my other recent careful vinyl versus tape comparison the tape beat my DCC Compact Classics re-issue of The Doors' The Doors.

The tape has an interesting difference which I'm only now noticing -- consistently greater separation of musicians and instruments, and greater three-dimensionality.

Ron,

Perhaps this Doors comparison says more about your Studer and table/arm/cartridge, or the quality of your particular reissue, than it does the formats in general. Your tape is likely much closer to the original source than that reissue.

On my recent trip to SoCal I picked up a bunch of used original LPs, one being an early pressing of The Doors on Elektra. It is a wonderful album and sounds great although your tape may still sound better.

How does you LP compare to a digital stream on your Lampizator Baltic?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have two lifetimes, at least, of possible comparisons of all kinds ahead of me.

Over the last several years I have taken tapes to the houses of friend with various tape machines. Each time except once the tape failed to sound better than the LP. KeithR agreed that my tape on our friend's Telefunken M15 was beaten by Chad's The Doors' The Doors 45rpm vinyl re-issue.

Tonight I performed a carefully level-matched comparison of my tape of Billy Joel Stranger versus the CBS half-speed re-master pressing. I started them at the same time so I could switch back-and-forth at almost the same point in the recording.

The tape had greater depth and width and sounded more spacious. Things definitely sounded more spread out on the tape. The vinyl sounded restricted in space in comparison.

I don't know what other word to use but the tape sounded more refined. The tape sounded more like it was closer to actual music-making.

I think piano on the tape sounded more realistic, but I would defer to my piano connoisseur friends on that one.

If you told me I could only keep one of the vinyl or the tape, I definitely would keep the tape.

Now that I know these tapes sound good I can imagine my tape listening time approaching 50%.
Was this with the Denon or AS-2000 TT?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron,

Perhaps this Doors comparison says more about your Studer and table/arm/cartridge, or the quality of your particular reissue, than it does the formats in general. Your tape is likely much closer to the original source than that reissue.

On my recent trip to SoCal I picked up a bunch of used original LPs, one being an early pressing of The Doors on Elektra. It is a wonderful album and sounds great although your tape may still sound better.

How is the Elektra generally. Did you get a wow feeling? I haven’t heard it but generally that and the DCC is what goes for high prices

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I have a Telefunken M15, not A, with euroheadblock
it sounds sluggish and oldfashioned "tubey" compared to my A80RC, even before the NextGen reproboards
the only thing I like better with the M15 is the clever direction handle for winding/rewinding
I can understand why some people prefer it to the A80 if they need to "tame" their system
I don´t believe in voicing a system by source "tampering"

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

on an average Denon vintage deck with a $500 cartridge vs a SOTA Studer? at Danny's we compared on a SOTA turntable rig.

Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
How is the Elektra generally. Did you get a wow feeling? I haven’t heard it but generally that and the DCC is what goes for high prices

I do not know the DCC reissue of this The Doors. Discogs says it is from 1992, reissued, remasters, and on thick vinyl. People like that. I am not surprised that they may go for higher prices considering the condition of some of the older rock LPs. Perhaps the General has an early pressing of The Doors in great condition which goes for a higher price.

My album is my first copy of this classic since I sold my LPs in the late 80s. My "wow" feeling results from hearing this wonderful music on a better and completely different system than my college one. It is still an early rock album and does not seem to be a great recording, only very decent. I have no basis for comparison. I was surprised it plays through nicely because it is old and looks pretty beat up. Very clean and quiet playback. It was cheap and I am thrilled I found it, just to have the music on an early playable record. I suspect it is an early repressing, not original. I really do not know.

According to Discogs, mine appears to be an original or very early monarch pressing. It reads (mon 2A) and <>9991 in the deadwax. I don't know much about it. Prices are from $8 to $400 depending on condition. The DCC on Discogs are around $200. I paid about $15 at some used record store a few weeks ago. It sounds good, but I bought it for the music.

Reactions: cjfrbw

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
on an average Denon vintage deck with a $500 cartridge vs a SOTA Studer? at Danny's we compared on a SOTA turntable rig.,

I totally agree! I was in the process of making this very point last night but I fell asleep. These comparisons definitely will have to be re-run when the AS-2000 arrives.

The general tape impressions I am reporting I have only recently begun noticing, and I think they may be a function of tape.

Reactions: KeithR

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I can listen to CDs on the Baltic. I don't have a dedicated streamer, streaming still is via iPad as streamer. iPad as streamer sounds terrible: thin, flat, amateurish.

The PULSEmini should arrive in a few weeks.

Based on how well the Denon + Hana SL has been holding its own in much fancier company, I suspect I will prefer it over the PULSEmini + Baltic. If I prefer the latter, stop the presses!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have the DCC 33 and the AP 45 of L.A. Woman, both are very good. my tape is much better. "Riders in the Storm" on tape was a frequent demo for visitors....as the encore cut. brought the house down every time. the tape gets so real.

but been years since i did it and both the vinyl and tape in my system are now a good deal better. time to do it again.

i can also do the DCC <-> AP 45 for "The Doors". don't recall how that went before.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"Riders in the Storm" on tape was a frequent demo for visitors....as the encore cut. brought the house down every time. the tape gets so real.

I played "Riders on the Storm" on tape for our guest couple on Tuesday! The guy specifically asked for it, and I have LA Woman only on tape. They loved it!

Reactions: Pokey77

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
on an average Denon vintage deck with a $500 cartridge vs a SOTA Studer? at Danny's we compared on a SOTA turntable rig.
Sounds like the Denon did ok but not surprisingly worse given the price difference

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I played "Riders on the Storm" on tape for our guest couple on Tuesday! The guy specifically asked for it, and I have LA Woman only on tape. They loved it!

please post your mobile phone video

Reactions: cjfrbw

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I didn't record "Riders on the Storm." Next time . . .

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tomorrow night: Symphony Fantastique at Walt Disney Concert Hall!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing