bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am getting a Brinkmann Balance 2 Arm with RoNt III power supply with Mullard GZ34 tube. The Balance will sit on the HRS Brinkmann platform.

I hope to add a Vyger turntable with Vision tonearm and Titan air pump controller in due course.

I will be selling the Denon 62L + Hana SL.
Your tape machine will be jealous.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, You cancelled your Nothing Rack order along with the AS2000.

David did not agree to cancel the Nothing stands order. They are on consignment with him because I think that anybody who wants the very last AS-2000 will love the matching custom all-stainless steel stands. I think the all-stainless steel turntable on the all-stainless steel stands will be gorgeous. That's why I ordered the stands in the first place.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Graham Phantom Elite:

What is your opinion on the Graham mount versus SME mount? Mechanical rigidity? Sound characteristics?

What is your opinion on the sound of the 10 inch Phantom Elite versus the sound of the 12 inch Phantom Elite?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Care to share how you came to your decision?

Selecting a turntable with any methodologically principled rationale behind it based on comparative auditioning is tough!

I wanted to stay with belt drive. It is just too complicated for me to conduct a methodologically valid comparison and figure out if I have a preference among belt drive, idler drive, or direct drive. I've always had belt drive, and it seems fine to me. It is the simple choice with a wide variety of options.

I tend to be skeptical of complicated turntable designs. I tend to be skeptical of designs with elaborate damping strategies or of designs with extra moving parts.

Suspension-less is fine, especially since the turntable is in a different room than the speakers. I like Mark Doehmann's Helix turntables, but I feel like I don't need the Minus K suspension.

I think Brinkmann's machining and finishing quality is excellent. The turntable is a "known quantity," and is highly regarded sonically by people with very different sonic preferences and high-end audio points of view.

Neither Michael Fremer nor any other reviewer whose Balance review I have ever read suggested in the slightest (including reading between the lines) that the Balance is on the slightly analytical, sterile or edgy side of things sonically. I want something that is dead neutral tonal balance wise (whatever that means), or leaning towards very slightly warm.

By all accounts it seems to be a very good overall performer in all areas, not emphasizing any particular sonic quality over any other particular sonic quality.

I have a friend who had a Brinkmann Balance and then replaced it with a TechDAS Air Force One, using a different tonearm, but the same Lyra Atlas cartridge. I had no basis for thinking I preferred the Air Force one sonically.

I wanted a turntable which can easily and happily accommodate two tonearms. I think the Balance should provide a solid and stable platform for both the Graham Phantom Elite and for the Reed 5T.

I wanted a turntable manufacturer who is willing to take the time to work with Reed to make sure the arm-board is drilled properly for the 5T. Helmut and Matthias of Brinkmann were very gracious to think this through with Reed even before I placed the order for the Balance. (I love the 5T, but I think it is not for the faint of heart.)

Anthony Chiarella, the North American distributor of Brinkmann, has been very transparent in communications with Brinkmann, and has been delightful to work with on this project. Joe Cali also has been great and helpful, offering assistance however he can.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your tape machine will be jealous.

Not jealous, nervous. The tape machine finally will have some very serious competition.

PS: I am continuing to sell sealed duplicates and sealed box sets of vinyl records to fund the purchase of additional tapes.

Reactions: Gregadd

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Will you set it up yourself?

Joe Cali, of Joseph Cali Systems Design, will set up the turntable, but I don't think there's a lot to do in terms of setting up the turntable itself.

I will engage J.R. Boisclair to install the Graham Phantom Elite on the Balance, and the ZYX on the Phantom Elite.

A special friend will be installing the Reed 5T on the Balance. I am hoping he will install the Grado on the 5T.

These are the two cartridge/tonearm combinations I have longed for. But Marty continues to report elation with his ZYX on his 5T. A good audiophile would try both cartridges on both tonearms.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Selecting a turntable with any methodologically principled rationale behind it based on comparative auditioning is tough!

I wanted to stay with belt drive. It is just too complicated for me to conduct a methodologically valid comparison and figure out if I have a preference among belt drive, idler drive, or direct drive. I've always had belt drive, and it seems fine to me. It is the simple choice with a wide variety of options.

I tend to be skeptical of complicated turntable designs. I tend to be skeptical of designs with elaborate damping strategies or of designs with extra moving parts.

Suspension-less is fine, especially since the turntable is in a different room than the speakers. I like Mark Doehmann's Helix turntables, but I feel like I don't need the Minus K suspension.

I think Brinkmann's machining and finishing quality is excellent. The turntable is a "known quantity," and is highly regarded sonically by people with very different sonic preferences and high-end audio points of view.

Neither Michael Fremer nor any other reviewer whose Balance review I have ever read suggested in the slightest (including reading between the lines) that the Balance is on the slightly analytical, sterile or edgy side of things sonically. I want something that is dead neutral tonal balance wise (whatever that means), or leaning towards very slightly warm.

By all accounts it seems to be a very good overall performer in all areas, not emphasizing any particular sonic quality over any other particular sonic quality.

I have a friend who had a Brinkmann Balance and then replaced it with a TechDAS Air Force One, using a different tonearm, but the same Lyra Atlas cartridge. I had no basis for thinking I preferred the Air Force one sonically.

I wanted a turntable which can easily and happily accommodate two tonearms. I think the Balance should provide a solid and stable platform for both the Graham Phantom Elite and for the Reed 5T.

I wanted a turntable manufacturer who is willing to take the time to work with Reed to make sure the arm-board is drilled properly for the 5T. Helmut and Matthias of Brinkmann were very gracious to think this through with Reed even before I placed the order for the Balance. (I love the 5T, but I think it is not for the faint of heart.)

Anthony Chiarella, the North American distributor of Brinkmann, has been very transparent in communications with Brinkmann, and has been delightful to work with on this project. Joe Cali also has been great and helpful, offering assistance however he can.
Your Denon is a direct drive... ;)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your Denon is a direct drive... ;)

I know that. The Denon was just supposed to hold me over for a few weeks until the AS-2000 arrived.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not jealous, nervous. The tape machine finally will have some very serious competition.

PS: I am continuing to sell sealed duplicates and sealed box sets of vinyl records to fund the purchase of additional tapes.

My criteria for turntable evaluation was looking for the closest possible to my tapes played with the Studer A80 in my system. Unfortunately it carried me to a too expensive turntable ...

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
My criteria for turntable evaluation was looking for the closest possible to my tapes played with the Studer A80 in my system. Unfortunately it carried me to a too expensive turntable ...
We have a saying around where I live..

-” Interest money - is NO money ” !!

Just pay the bill and look happy ever after?

/ Jk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
David did not agree to cancel the Nothing stands order. They are on consignment with him because I think that anybody who wants the very last AS-2000 will love the matching custom all-stainless steel stands. I think the all-stainless steel turntable on the all-stainless steel stands will be gorgeous. That's why I ordered the stands in the first place.

Ron, Have you given any thought to what rack system you will buy to replace the Nothing Rack?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, Have you given any thought to what rack system you will buy to replace the Nothing Rack?

What commercially available stands would you suggest?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron doesn't think. He just acts. That seems clear after 7~ years....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What commercially available stands would you suggest?
there is a divergence of approaches you need to work out first prior to choosing a rack. obviously the Nothing Rack and Peter's approach are extreme examples of a solid rack. the Adona is mostly also a solid rack. where you are either using shelf treatments for gear, or zero treatments. but the rack itself is not decoupling. not saying there is zero resonance control, but no real decoupling action. at best a bit of changes in material resonance, and maybe mass loading, at work that contributes to impedance changes to reduce feedback. and with your gear in another room, decoupling might not be preferred. you have mentioned that.

OTOH there are a number of decoupling rack brands of all shapes sizes and costs. where the rack is doing the decoupling and the gear simply sets on the rack.

both approaches perform better with a solid floor, but some are more effected by that than others.

so maybe look at your gear and see what the manufacturers or current users find work best with what you have as a starting point.

almost impossible to effectively audition racks considering their size and shipping expense. and in another room the beauty and fit and finish can be secondary i would guess. just the basics.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ron doesn't think. He just acts. That seems clear after 7~ years....
Wow what a statement ! Ron researches, listens, asks advice, contemplate, shops around, slowly collects a system of the best he can find over some years now ! You might not agree with his choices, maybe because he does value esthetics highly ! I would say he almost overthinks sometime ! :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jeremy was being sarcastic. :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing