Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So, it is not that tape is slam dunk either.
I 100% agree. If I weren't at least a very junior member of the tape club mafia I would never have gotten into tape.

One should have the best recordings of their favorite music, depending on the media, optimize playback path for that media, and also have the ability to discover new music.

I agree!

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Some LPs played back on the Denon are a tie with tape sonically in terms of transparency and tonal balance and resolution. I assume that the Brinkmann set-up will elevate those LPs to a level of transparency and resolution exceeding the tape.

What I am finding is that even if the tape and vinyl are arguably a tie, and even if the vinyl is a little bit better in certain sonic attributes than the tape, the seemingly consistent ability of tape to offer a spaciousness and relaxed-ness that I do not hear from vinyl may still cause me to prefer the tape for my own personal listening.

That spaciousness and that sense of relaxed-ness is very addictive. Also, listening to tape has made me more aware of even low level surface noise on vinyl. Surface noise at any volume does not contribute to suspension of disbelief.

It doesn't hurt that the Studer A820 is a class act and a joy simply to operate. (It reminds me of operating my now-vintage Yaesu FT-1000D amateur radio transceiver, which was a Rolls-Royce in its day. That radio gave good knob.)

Of course the AS-2000 also is a class act and a joy simply to operate.

I guess I was reacting to your “exalted and mystical“ comment about vinyl playback. I’m surprised you held it in such high regard as you have been trying to convince me to get into tape for years now. And I recall with interest your enthusiastic reports from visits to Mike Lavigne and David Karmeli about their vinyl playback quality.

It sounds as though you enjoy tape even more. It will be interesting after things settle in a year or so how you end up dividing your time between the three formats. It is nice to read that you are listening to a lot of music these days. Always a good indication of system satisfaction.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I guess I was reacting to your “exalted and mystical“ comment about vinyl playback. I’m surprised you held it in such high regard as you have been trying to convince me to get into tape for years now.

It sounds as though you enjoy tape even more. It will be interesting after things settle in a year or so how you end up dividing your time between the three formats. It is nice to read that you are listening to a lot of music these days. Always a good indication of system satisfaction.

I have always revered vinyl as the most emotionally-engaging playback medium. Based on Mike Lavigne's work and based on my experiences so far I am finding that the best tape pushes emotional engagement and suspension of disbelief slightly beyond the best vinyl.

I feel like achieving that sonic level for me is what is much of what this hobby is all about -- even if it is for only a small number of titles.

I expect my listening to settle out to be something like 65% tape, 30% vinyl and 5% digital. When I want to listen to one of my favorite titles, and I have it on tape, I foresee myself reaching for the tape.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And I recall with interest your enthusiastic reports from visits to Mike Lavigne and David Karmeli about their vinyl playback quality.

Yes, I did. But this is not inconsistent with my findings about tape.

I think you will find in my visit report about my visit to Mike that I found his tape revelatory. That experience is what told me I have to explore tape.

David never pursued tape as far as I know.

I still think you should pursue tape, but by no means just any particular tape set-up. You are not averse to vintage components. I still think that you should tread the same ground I have tread and get an A820 or an A80 and realize the ultimate sonic level of this hobby, even if only for a small number of titles. This is my standing recommendation for anybody.

Hopefully, the current new production tape machines, such as the UHAs, equal or exceed the sound level of the big Studers. But I am not aware of any direct comparisons.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
what is great about this hobby is that musical satisfaction and contentment comes in all shapes and sizes, even among very, very serious minded audiophiles/music lovers.

right now, i'm sorting thru the 'every Friday morning' weekly (two weeks worth since i have been traveling) new streaming releases on Quboz on the Wadax. a couple of them vinyl versions were recommended to me by jazdoc. yet i started the CS Port and Esoteric T1 tt's earlier, to get them warmed up and settled in. but the digital is sounding so fine not yet gone to vinyl. then there are some tapes i want to listen to too, but not yet turned the tape gear on.

it's all just a hoot.

likely i'll be called to breakfast before i move on from digital, then some yard work, and watching the US Open Golf before i get back to listening.

i have my approach, Ron his, Peter his. we stay in our lanes mostly.

tape does rule at the end of the day. but all the stars do need to line up.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Tape has made me realize that vinyl is not the exalted and mystical playback medium I have always considered it to be; vinyl primarily is just a way to distribute music on a mass scale.
Possibly the most accurate words ever posted regarding vinyl playback ....

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The way I look at it is this (based on decent but not-extensive exposure to tape). Tape simply has a higher ceiling than vinyl. This is not to say that vinyl is always, on every title, inferior. And tape has drawbacks of its own. But to experience the pinnacle of this hobby, one needs to explore and fully experience tape. I agree with Ron - or at least I've had the same experience - that tape (almost?) always surpasses vinyl in spaciousness and effortlessness.

I will also add that my own previous experience with tape has shown that it doesn't take a big Studer machine to understand the experience and the delta between tape and vinyl. I'm sure the Studers are outstanding. But, recently, I spent some time listening to a much simpler TEAC side by side some top flight turntables. And by in large, it was a no-contest affair. Furthermore, when you listen to familiar content, you generally don't even need an in-the-moment side by side comparison to know what you're hearing comparatively.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Before we go on romanticizing and exalting all the virtues of magnetic tape recording and playback, please educate yourself and learn about it limitations and shortcomings, both as a recording and playback medium:

Magnetic Recording: Analog Tape

I like the way magnetic tape sounds like most everyone else does, but I do not let its euphonic sound blind me from its reality.

Reactions: cjfrbw

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The way I look at it is this (based on decent but not-extensive exposure to tape). Tape simply has a higher ceiling than vinyl. This is not to say that vinyl is always, on every title, inferior. And tape has drawbacks of its own. But to experience the pinnacle of this hobby, one needs to explore and fully experience tape. I agree with Ron - or at least I've had the same experience - that tape (almost?) always surpasses vinyl in spaciousness and effortlessness.

I will also add that my own previous experience with tape has shown that it doesn't take a big Studer machine to understand the experience and the delta between tape and vinyl. I'm sure the Studers are outstanding. But, recently, I spent some time listening to a much simpler TEAC side by side some top flight turntables. And by in large, it was a no-contest affair. Furthermore, when you listen to familiar content, you generally don't even need an in-the-moment side by side comparison to know what you're hearing comparatively.
tape is somewhat similar to vinyl in that the media is more significant than the hardware. it's kinda like that. tape provenance and transfer quality along with deck optimization are more challenging and less understood than turntables. with tape you can have very mundane output electronics, and transports and heads that are marginal, even when the cosmetics appear to be top notch. more tape decks can hold back tapes than turntables holding back vinyl.

and the differences between consumer decks, prosumer/broadcast decks, and master recorders, are significant on the transport side. condition varies wildly. most decks were not well cared for at some point. did they ever get fixed properly? all the newly produced decks i've seen fit into the prosumer/broadcast rank.

agree a nice consumer deck with a great tape can sound special. much cheaper way to get great sound than vinyl.

and at the tip top of the tape food chain, there is game changing performance. my hot-rodded ATR-102/MR 70's are a leap. the whole transport and signal path is optimized. my tapes have never sounded so good and it changed the hierarchy of my tape <-> vinyl rankings. raised the ceiling.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Before we go on romanticizing and exalting all the virtues of magnetic tape recording and playback, please educate yourself and learn about it limitations and shortcomings, both as a recording and playback medium:

I like the way magnetic tape sounds like most everyone else does, but I do not let its euphonic sound blind me from its reality.

Aren't you a Debbie Downer! I am not interested in an objectivist discussion about this on my system thread.

This is a subjective hobby, and I am reporting that tape, when, as Mike says correctly, all the stars align, maximizes my emotional engagement and my suspension of disbelief.

Please feel free to start a new thread about your topic.

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Tape Machines are so beautiful , I really enjoy when I see them in my room. Tape playback is also an interesting experience for many audiophiles.

1c24ecfcff714fd6cb1f0cb4723cef12.jpeg

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Aren't you a Debbie Downer! I am not interested in an objectivist discussion about this on my system thread.

This is a subjective hobby, and I am reporting that tape, when, as Mike says correctly, all the stars align, maximizes my emotional engagement and my suspension of disbelief.

Apologies, I’m sorry to have rained on your parade. While I can’t close my eyes and ignore things that are not right, I will try to be more sensitive and respectful of others’ bliss, even when it is in ………

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I’m currently listening to your much loved Thelma Houston record. Do you know if they made a tape copy of that when they cut the direct to disc? That might be a very interesting comparison. Great, funky music.

That's fun! As you say it is a hot recording.

I don't like the second track, but I do like the third track.

I have never heard any information or even gossip about a simultaneous tape being made at the time of that recording.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tape has made me realize that vinyl is not the exalted and mystical playback medium I have always considered it to be; vinyl primarily is just a way to distribute music on a mass scale.

The fact that you can distribute vinyl in a mass scale does does not reduce its value and quality as a playback medium. No stereo can be exalted and mystical, listeners can be.

The three better know media - tape, vinyl and digital - have different sonic properties associated to its technical characteristics. We listen to them using recordings that depend on how the sound engineers used them - it would be great if you listen the exact recordings you have been listening and support your findings.

Owning the three types of media, I recognize that my admiration for tape conditioned my preferences in equipment - tape is a well known and objectively studied format, as it was used mainly by professionals in large companies. However in this hobby I have more doubts and questions than answers concerning subjective aspects.

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021

"Carlos Dangerous"

"Carlos Dangerous"

I agree with your sentiments, Ron: Tape has been my favorite since my first deck, a quarter-track Revox in 1977. Even though it was somewhat "entry level," the quality and attributes of tape playback were head and shoulders above vinyl. The sound was so organic and "tactile" that the connection between the playback and listener was golden. Everyone friend that came over to listen felt and heard the same thing I had experienced.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
"Carlos Dangerous"

"Carlos Dangerous”

As I said previously, I also like the euphoric sound of magnetic tape. I like it so much that I emulate the magnetic tape “sound” as part of my REMASTERING 2-buss chain.

The Stanford academic who wrote the article also alluded to the euphoric tape effects.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I would give Carlos some leeway given the amount of discussion those objective measurements at the beginning of your thread generated.

I understand that room measurements and a discussion about tape technology are different.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing