listening to the new signed copy of a 2 disc 45rpm record from Anette Askvik......."With Every Cell"......got here in a week from Norway. just arrived today......great sound.

Ron, i think you will like this one too. not sure i like any cut as much as "Liberty" on the other album, but i need to play this a couple times.

IMG_1027.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you, Mike!

Ron I too will be at Capital Audiofest both today and tomorrow. Would love to meet you! I will be possibly the only middle-aged female attendee who is not a wife or GF dragged along. I went last year for 2 days, only heard a fraction of what’s on offer.

Ron I too will be at Capital Audiofest both today and tomorrow. Would love to meet you! I will be possibly the only middle-aged female attendee who is not a wife or GF dragged along. I went last year for 2 days, only heard a fraction of what’s on offer.
Sure! Please say hello!

Maybe meet us for drinks at the hotel bar at 5:30 pm?

Last edited:
As Jim Yager says: "Ron, if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!"

A shower drain system from the upper level is drip, drip, dripping drops of water above the ceiling of the listening room. So my contractor is going to have to do some exploratory drywall cutting in the ceiling of the listening room to try to figure out where the dripping is coming from.

J.R. recommended 2" thick acoustic absorption panels on the parallel left side and right side upper corners of the walls. I am going to implement his recommendation.

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

As Jim Yager says: "Ron, if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!"

A shower drain system from the upper level is drip, drip, dripping drops of water above the ceiling of the listening room. So my contractor is going to have to do some exploratory drywall cutting in the ceiling of the listening room to try to figure out where the dripping is coming from.
Ron,

So sorry to read this. Hoping it turns out to be an easy and quick fix.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
After those panels are installed I would like to experiment with removing some of absorption on the front wall, and experiment with diffusion on the front wall instead of absorption, or maybe a combination of both.

Now that I'm happy with the sound, I am curious to experiment and see if I can pick up a little bit of additional sense of depth, with diffusion on the front wall instead of absorption.

Last edited:
Reactions: cal3713 and Pokey77
After those panels are installed I would like to experiment with removing some of absorption on the front wall, and experiment with diffusion on the front wall instead of absorption, or may be a combination of both.
Ron, hadn’t you done any work with REW yet to get a characterization of your room? Or, I guess, are you using any objective assessment along with what sounds like trying things out?

Ron, hadn’t you done any work with REW yet to get a characterization of your room? Or, I guess, are you using any objective assessment along with what sounds like trying things out?

J.R. took loads of measurements. His visit was the first time the woofer towers were touched since they were installed.

We strong-armed the woofer towers around. Positioning them inside of the panels (pulling them away from the side walls) mitigated some of the room boom. Relocating the AVAAs to the rear and to the sides of the listening chair improved objectively measurably the room modes.

Locating the panels outside of the woofers I think increased the image size a little bit (which I don't need) and made the center image slightly less focused (I was happy the way it was). So I should experiment with inching the panels closer to the woofer towers, and maybe moving all towers a little bit closer together towards the middle, to recover the prior center imaging.

I also should experiment, again, with toe-in.

But I am very happy with how the whole thing is sounding, and I probably will not do these tower moving experiments anytime soon.

Last edited:
When all’s said and done, you should take another set of measurements to see how what you’re liking checks out with numbers.

Reactions: christoph
I never had silver speaker cables...mostly due to cost but I have been using all silver interconnects for close to 20 years now. Everytime I try a copper cable, I feel that too much gets lost and go back happily to silver. I also use Goertz Silver Sapphire foil interconnects, Goertz TQ2 silver, Element Cable solid core silver (very thin for my phonostage to amp) and VacuumState silver foil in my two systems.
I agree. Switched to all silver interconnects and phono cable 2 years ago and could never go back to copper. Would love to find a reasonably affordable silver speaker cable.

Reactions: cal3713
JA100s with Ei KT90s

The original plan was to experiment with EL34s but it turns out cathode resistors need to be replaced for that swap.

I am not hearing my upper bass to lower midrange leanness anymore. I wanted to experiment with EL34s to further fill out the upper bass to lower midrange and to add some "midrange magic." But now I think the more direct path to that experiment would be high power SET (Wavac 833 or trafomatic Elysium) or parallel SET (MastersounD PF100) rather than JA200s.
Are these the type 2 EI KT90 from Kent?

I agree. Switched to all silver interconnects and phono cable 2 years ago and could never go back to copper. Would love to find a reasonably affordable silver speaker cable.
99.99% pure silver in loose teflon tubing (teflon/air dialectic)... from $202.31 per meter for 16 gauge stereo pairs to $493.31 per meter for 10 gauge stereo pairs. All solid core single wires. I'm a believer. https://www.tempoelectric.com/cables_speaker-cables.htm

When all’s said and done, you should take another set of measurements to see how what you’re liking checks out with numbers.

That would be interesting.

Before J.R. left he confirmed objective measurably that the 4 to 5kHz peak was smoothed down, and that the 45Hz and 65Hz peaks were reduced.

Subjectively I literally don't hear any room boom anymore. I think those AVAAs are great.

I don't think anyone is hearing any room boom anymore. Joshua, of Believe High Fidelity, visited me on Saturday, and he did not mention anything. (Although his family was with him, so I did not twist his arm, the way I usually do with audiophile visitors, demanding critique.)

Marc Meisner visited me on Monday, for the fourth time since the system got installed, and he did not hear any room boom.

Reactions: tony22
Are these the type 2 EI KT90 from Kent?

In the amps presently are the Type 3 Ei KT90s from Phil Ressler (213cobra). I have Kent's tubes in reserve.

Reactions: Pokey77
Where's the full review of the Gryphon speakers ?;)

Since I don't have any other loudspeaker in the room to compare them with, and since I never have had any other loudspeaker in the room as it is now, I'm not sure a full review of the Pendragons makes sense.

I hope my reporting on this thread since their installation, combined with some familiarity about my personal sonic preferences, as well as reports by visitors to the room, affords people some sense of the loudspeakers themselves.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing