Ron Resnick Launches Audio Cafe LLC, a New Clarisys Audio Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do think being a dealer does change the vibe and equation for visits to Ron's house for those following on WBF. those have had a large presence here. now; how is it different than any other dealer? all the hand wringing on room set up, videos and all that stuff. it's just different. dealers react differently to feedback. other dealers/manufacturers have feelings.

it will be interesting to watch how this goes. will Ron become a dealer for more brands? more likely than not. you are either selling, or not selling.

we have plenty of dealers here, of course. now we have one more.

Last edited:
i do think being a dealer does change the vibe and equation for visits to Ron's house for those following on WBF. those have had a large presence here. now; how is it different than any other dealer? all the hand wringing on room set up, videos and all that stuff. it's just different. dealers react differently to feedback. other dealers/manufacturers have feelings.

it will be interesting to watch how this goes. will Ron become a dealer for more brands? more likely than not. you are either selling, or not selling.

i think people who are not should state so in their signature

Last edited:

I agree. Steve W is/was a dealer for Lamm, and now Ron is a dealer too. WBF was for hobbyists but is increasingly a nice platform for exposure. It is one way the industry is evolving and the site is growing. Ron seems fairly unique as both a reviewer and now a dealer.

Reactions: adyc
I agree. Steve W is/was a dealer for Lamm, and now Ron is a dealer too. WBF was for hobbyists but is increasingly a nice platform for exposure. It is one way the industry is evolving and the site is growing. Ron seems fairly unique as both a reviewer and now a dealer.
The word is “was”. I announced here last year that I agreed with members re the conflict of interest and felt that I as an owner should not participate in the sale of or represent any product. I personally feel that was the correct decision

Congratulations Ron on your new business. I do have a serious question for you . Wasn’t it you the questioned Robert Harley’s and other reviewers when he wrote about how long term loans were good for the Industry and to paraphrase there’s nothing to see here let’s move on philosophy?
I don’t see how someone can be a dealer and then expect to have neutrality towards other products that do not put money in your pocket?
This seems to be a conflict of interest. I don’t think anyone can serve two masters. Dealers like myself are always being questioned as of motive and in fact you and I had a very serious discussion about this before I renewed my WBF sponsorship.

On another note in a forum where people discuss the smallest of things and there audible differences putting a large dipole speaker or in fact any speaker in front of any other speaker is an audio no no. Sorry
I don’t care what brand you are discussing this is not chasing the best result.
Best of luck in your endeavor!
I think you are correct in every points. Don’t think one can wear two or three hats at the same time.

Didn't Linn demand the One Speaker Pair Demo policy from their dealers? Not just one pair at a time, but no other spkrs at all to be in the room.

Reactions: RussR
For the record, I posted this in August 2023

I can't help have a wry smile thinking about Ron having to endure hour after hour of 100% digital demos for potential customers, lol.

I can't help have a wry smile thinking about Ron having to endure hour after hour of 100% digital demos for potential customers, lol.

maybe those who had a tiff with him on the forum can visit him and listen to a digital only demo for 4 hours

The opportunities are endless...

I don't see a problem with a dealer being a reviewer. The only place I would see conflict would be a dealer of say a speaker comparing a review product to something they sell. As long as they keep the review and compares to equipment they don't represent, then I don't see the conflict.

... it seemed the simplest of questions, an inevitable question. If I did not ask it, someone else would ask it.

There is something called "Ron's New System" of which you are not a dealer, as far as I know.

Then we see "Dealer for Clarisys Audio and Hegel Music Systems" that seems to imply some Clarisys and Hegel Music system or systems that you will sell.

Audio Dealer 101 chatbot suggests you answer: " I love all my children equally."

Thank you for explaining.

Over time it will be interesting to me to try to discern sonic pros and cons between the Pendragons and the Studio Plus (although obviously the better and fairer comparison to the Pendragons would be Auditoriums).

Out of the box the Studio Plus sounds very good to me. (I have been warned by many people not to judge them until the 250 hour mark.) They sound friendlier and more natural sounding than the Pendragons. Even out of the box there is no brightness or edginess in the 4 to 6 kHz region with which I've been been struggling with the Pendragons.

Last edited:
Didn't Linn demand the One Speaker Pair Demo policy from their dealers? Not just one pair at a time, but no other spkrs at all to be in the room.
You are absolutely correct. I went to a Linn dealer in South London (probably in the 1990's), and the demonstrator had to move speakers in and out of the room each time I wanted to listen to different speakers. I don't know if their policy changed when AV systems and surround sound speakers started to gain prominence.

Foot traffic, tire kickers, drunken audiophiles, and Bonzo with 4 hour digital listening sessions. If Ron is willing to put up with that and a bunch of pot bellied old guys listening to girl with guitar music on short notice, he probably earned the speakers.
On the other hand for consumers in LA, it's a nice option for getting to listen to the Clarysis, possibly at length and in a better environment than most.

Good luck with your new venture, Ron. I hope it is very successful. I don't really see that there is a problem if a dealer does product reviews as well. I doubt whether Ron will be the first, or last person to combine reviewing with another role in the hi-fi industry.

You are absolutely correct. I went to a Linn dealer in South London (probably in the 1990's), and the demonstrator had to move speakers in and out of the room each time I wanted to listen to different speakers. I don't know if their policy changed when AV systems and surround sound speakers started to gain prominence.
I remember those demos very well. Mid/late 80s at Grahams in N. London. Almost a religious vibe to things. And other than the reverence of the source, the rigouresness of the single spkr demo was enforced with total zeal.

Foot traffic, tire kickers, drunken audiophiles, and Bonzo with 4 hour digital listening sessions. If Ron is willing to put up with that and a bunch of pot bellied old guys listening to girl with guitar music on short notice, he probably earned the speakers.

Haha! But probably true! We will see!

Just for the record, I fully purchased the Studio Plus speakers. I studied the RAL automotive color fan book, and when I placed my order I selected a "graphite grey" -- which I am happy to see looks great on the speakers.
On the other hand for consumers in LA, it's a nice option for getting to listen to the Clarysis, possibly at length and in a better environment than most.

That's the idea! Anyone from across the United States, or from across the world, who happens to be visiting Southern California is welcome to swing by for a listening session!

I don't mind the Lampizator! I was playing digital for hours yesterday, because that is all I was able to hear at Cyrus'. I played last night the same digital tracks I played at Cyrus'.

Reactions: John T
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing