Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Having just listened a few times to an album I discovered this morning (Patty Smyth’s It’s About Time https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/patty-smyth’s-it’s-about-time.35622/) which is available only on CD, I suddenly had the very weird thought that maybe I should get a CD transport, and not get rid of my couple of hundred CDs?o_O

I guess I should find an analog thermometer and check my temperature.

Last edited:
Having just listened a few times to an album I discovered this morning (Patty Smyth’s It’s About Time https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/patty-smyth’s-it’s-about-time.35622/) which is available only on CD, I suddenly had the very weird thought that maybe I should get a CD transport, and not get rid of my couple of hundred CDs?o_O

I understand…
My Oracle 2000 CD transport is still running and will not be sold any time, many 100 CD‘s are happy about this decision
And always, when the next Roon or Linux update is driving me crazy, I am happy about my CD collection, beeing my best back up.

That lightbulb moment correlating radio with digital streaming can't be far off.

Believe it already has in the car and elsewhere outside the home?

Maybe a CEC TL5 transport?

Ron, as always, great music on CD's or streaming is still GREAT MUSIC.

and that is the bottom line. the format is not the issue. i have my Oppo transport (does not suck) sitting in the other room for when i want to play a CD. rarely pull it out, but have done it. no sane reason to be a format snob.

A couple of others to maybe consider one of the Jay's Audio transports (very good professional and user reviews), or a SimAudio 260DT. I have the latter, now in my 2nd system after I recently purchased a Neodio Origine S2 CD player, it's well built, very good SQ especially using the AES/EBU

which is available only on CD, I suddenly had the very weird thought that maybe I should get a CD transport, and not get rid of my couple of hundred CDs?o_O

Perhaps one might even consider a retro avant-garde CD/SACD transport Ron :eek:

I don't know exactly when digital broke the eardrum barrier, probably the last five to ten years or so, but it is quite nice to listen to these days. I still haven't attempted to listen to my 'old school' CDs yet to see if they have 'improved' with the current digital equipment. I suppose I should try that some time. There is one 'Return to Forever' CD that used to be absolutely god awful digital, nothing ever cured it in the past, that would be a good test case.

What will be the DAC? Transports should be sonically matched to a proper DAC.
BTW, Patty Smyth’s It’s About Time is available on Qobuz .

Like the art on the wall.....Artist is?

Alejandro Pena

Would you mind signing an affidavit to that effect? Tinka hates that painting, and she can’t really believe anybody could possibly like it.

Reactions: rando
Alejandro Pena

Would you mind signing an affidavit to that effect? Tinka hates that painting, and she can’t really believe anybody could possibly like it.
Put me in the Thumbs Up department.....,
See attached for some of My etchings in Music Room 1....;)

Attachments

• 4B716381-36BA-41D7-A14E-6DB86C4F88E6.jpeg
    4B716381-36BA-41D7-A14E-6DB86C4F88E6.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 21
Perhaps one might even consider a retro avant-garde CD/SACD transport Ron :eek:

I found in inventory a $99 Sony CD/SACD player. It has a digital output, so I could use it as a transport.

But I have been looking forward to off-loading the CDs to Salvation Army for a tax deduction.

In that case you would do better to grab a $10 Sony BDP at Salvation Army with a decade or better newer electronics/DAC chip.

Or whatever the post '10 equivalent they have available is. Probably a video game console.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
I found in inventory a $99 Sony CD/SACD player. It has a digital output, so I could use it as a transport.

But I have been looking forward to off-loading the CDs to Salvation Army for a tax deduction
If you are going to use that then save your Lampi the pain and go for the $20 tax deduction

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Resnick

But I have been looking forward to off-loading the CDs to Salvation Army for a tax deduction.
By a old pionneer dvd 300 is the same like goldmund cd eidos 18 transport.amazing digital output. Only thing they done better housing +add a better power supply transformerphoca_thumb_l_eidos-18cd-goldmund-1.jpg

Pioneer dvd 300
phoca_thumb_l_dv-300-1-pioneer.jpg

I won’t be using Roon, so I don’t care about all that update mess.

I have to be careful to avoid mission creep. My only purpose with the digital playback capability is to entertain guests. I see as being infrequent the number of times I will fire up the big stereo, peruse the CDs, find some rare 1980s pop CD which I have not long ago replicated on vinyl, and play that CD.

On the CDs, I think I'll just let fate decide their fate. If I have any space left in the newly-designed (one thing actually brand new in the house) LP/tape storage cabinet maybe I'll keep some of the CDs.

On the streaming side Innuos Sense seems like a very nice GUI for controlling Qobuz.

I also will have to get an iPad.

It looks like the new Innuos model of Pulse streamer — no onboard file storage — is perfect for this project.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing