Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No; we are still many weeks away from hearing music in the room. But it is an exciting question to ponder! I’d say “Send in the Clowns” is an excellent nomination!

The record/tape storage unit (with a light strip in the ceiling of each cubbyhole!) is scheduled to be installed on November 22. It will be exciting to unbox the records after eight years of storage, and to learn what records I have, and how many of them.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

rando

Sep 22, 2019
tell us you will be doing some unboxings of equipment

That can be a serious undertaking where professional associations have been established. Would be a project throwing it together amongst managing everything else surrounding this highly personal and gratifying event.

Just for the sake of discussion.

Preference shown towards unedited roving handheld mix of easy banter and capturing fluid [unboxing] movement silently orchestrated by someone comfortable in the limelight behind the camera, would meet accepted criteria. Transmute boxes into objects ready for transport to their display location - TIME!! Make or break atmospheric condition is orderly and neat teamwork dismissing packaging. ;)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
That can be a serious undertaking where professional associations have been established. Would be a project throwing it together amongst managing everything else surrounding this highly personal and gratifying event.

Just for the sake of discussion.

Preference shown towards unedited roving handheld mix of easy banter and capturing fluid [unboxing] movement silently orchestrated by someone comfortable in the limelight behind the camera, would meet accepted criteria. Transmute boxes into objects ready for transport to their display location - TIME!! Make or break atmospheric condition is orderly and neat teamwork dismissing packaging. ;)
Yes highly edited is just fine, don't have THAT kind of time, Lol. What ever is provided is just fine, its not like we haven't gone down this 7 year old road cyber road together!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
This is what happens to those who don't respect the choir part

The very last thing Beethoven needed was more frilly vocals :eek: Seriously, what does that guy know about music :eek: :eek:!!!

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
View attachment 99952

The listening room has been painted, the carpet has been installed, and this morning I cleaned the wood floor loudspeaker/amplifier section in the front third of the room. I know this sounds absurd, but you can’t imagine how excited I was to be using a broom and a dust pan to clean the wood part of the listening room floor!

Just for fun I put in my inventory of ASC Tube Traps.

The photo of the front wall using some wide-angle lens function on the iPhone exaggerates grotesquely the actual size of the room. It’s about half the size of what it looks like in this photo.

View attachment 99951

I found some Mickey Mouse reverberation time app in the Apple iStore. With the rear wall of the listening room almost completely uncovered glass the current reverberation time according to this little app is .56 @ 500Hz and .63 @ 2,000Hz.

When those glass walls are covered with window treatment I think RT might fall into the target range.

Tinka does not like any of my legacy leather couches, so they have been banished from the living room and into the listening room. I want the listening room to be a fun place which can accommodate naturally a pretty large number of people. Still, I think I should probably keep only two out of the three couches.

I do not yet have a main listening chair here, but I picked one out a couple of years ago. Or I could place one of the couches in front of the other two couches, and use the forward couch as a main listening position. But then that would make this room look unmistakably like a furniture store!

Tinka thinks I should keep only one of the three couches, and keep the place uncluttered looking.

This is a photo from the center of the rear wall using the regular iPhone camera lens:

View attachment 99957

What a beautiful space.
I suggest you the SMT Wings diffuser to solve the window reverberations , if any.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My friend Russ (Rustafarian on WBF) is generously loaning me his Magnepan 1.6s. This is a great opportunity to play music in the room for the first time in seven years; to understand how the preamp and the amps operate; and to begin to get some sense of the acoustics of the room.

A79B541D-D992-4A34-9CF2-00459B4B017D.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
C3FAC2D4-9FD2-4112-A05D-7A740556CC8B.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
E95A4328-4AB2-4918-BAFC-2DF0D1568ACA.jpeg

Lola is not allowed on the new carpet.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it alive?

david

Yes; music is playing! But not very well — the $99 Sony universal disc player has to be put out of its misery. It is very bright and edgy-sounding. So I am looking at other short-term, interim options to get back on the track.

Still, the modest 1.6s are good enough to remind me why I love vocals on planars! The Siegfried IIs really snap those 86dB slow-pokes to life! (And that’s even in half-power triode mode.)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rando

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes; music is playing! But not very well — the $99 Sony universal disc player has to be put out of its misery. It is very bright and edgy-sounding.

So I am looking at other short-term, interim options to get back on the track.
It's still progress! Given the new state of everything I think that it will be a while before you'll get satisfactory sound.

david

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Congratulations Ron, the room looks great, the Pendragon's fit right in there. Actual music in the room is a big step ! :)

Reactions: rando

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations Ron, the room looks great, the Pendragon's fit right in there. Actual music in the room is a big step ! :)
Thank you, Milan!

Reactions: Lagonda

Gooch

Dec 20, 2013
Florida
Very nice looking room

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I received my dedicated Qobuz-only iPad today. Using the DAC in the iPad by connecting it directly to the line stage reduced the brightness/edginess from the $99 Sony CD disc player, but this arrangement also slayed the dynamics. Overall I’d rather listen to music this way than with the Sony player.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
If you're after an inexpensive interim that'll allow you to play discs and stream easily (albeit via a cable) from one unit, take a look at Marantz, in particular the SA8005. It's a little soft sounding in general but miles better than what you're using currently. From a practical pov it plays all discs inc SACD or plug an iPad into the USB port on the front and stream what you like. Very easy. There are digital inputs on the back in order to use the unit as a DAC. I still use mine as a transport, more than adequate in this respect. Marantz Reference products are much better, some have the same features but of course pricier.

Good luck with the new room, looks great

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing