Roon Users: A few quick questions

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Anyone knows if Roon is a worthwhile step-up from mpad (interface used by some manufacturers like Totaldac) ?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I think the value of roon is merely a new type of user interface..you could get the same info free .. select the album via your favorite player and google it .. you will get all sorts of info manually like who were session players etc and can do tidal or your local hd searches for what you want..then use your fave player to cue it up .. roon just does it all in one .. their focus tool is potent..
I took a lifetime subscription on a special offer for round $250. They seem to respond to user requests .. I have no doubt *if they survive* that all sorts of luscious goodies will be on offer..

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Anyone knows if Roon is a worthwhile step-up from mpad (interface used by some manufacturers like Totaldac) ?

The question sort of does not makes sense..IF I understand a few things correctly.

If your server uses MPD for playback of local storage, you have to use MPAD/MPOD etc to control playback. MPD IMO is the best
sounding.

Roon substitutes its own playback engine on your server, assuming it is "Roon Ready", and this allows the Roon interface to take over.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think the value of roon is merely a new type of user interface..you could get the same info free .. select the album via your favorite player and google it .. you will get all sorts of info manually like who were session players etc and can do tidal or your local hd searches for what you want..then use your fave player to cue it up .. roon just does it all in one .. their focus tool is potent..
I took a lifetime subscription on a special offer for round $250. They seem to respond to user requests .. I have no doubt *if they survive* that all sorts of luscious goodies will be on offer..

Thanks Rodney. I very much look forward to more user impressions..positive..neutral or negative...as more hardware becomes compatible.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
I'm absolutely loving it, controlling an Auralic Aries. Best UI I've seen. I'm discovering things both forgotten and never seen, in my own local library and on Tidal. I'm spending less time organizing and searching and more time listening.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Andre , I knew they were going to add my squeezebox as an endpoint ..so jumped after using it , letting the trial lapse and missing it and getting the break on price swung it for me.
Touch tablets are the best remote control but you need a 1600x900 pixel thingy for it to run..

I actually most likely wouldnt have bought it as a stand alone to replace J river.. but with TIDAL , its use increases dramatically as just about anything you want is available at cd quality over the internet
Basically for $30 a month you can get both Roon and Tidal .. which is chickenfeed for limitless high quality music.. makes for the most comprehensive and impressive jukebox you can have .. a smorgasbord of music

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm absolutely loving it, controlling an Auralic Aries. Best UI I've seen. I'm discovering things both forgotten and never seen, in my own local library and on Tidal. I'm spending less time organizing and searching and more time listening.

+1 :)
Discoverability is one of the major selling points for Roon, IMHO

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi André,

Ah, I thought roon was a layer on top, not knowing that it also replaces the middle layer, being MPD. Thanks for that.
It seems that the Totaldac server is getting Roon ready.

Anyway, starting to understand the business model of roon, i.e. the cost to the user, I don't think I will give up mpad soon as I am basically quite happy with it, not overwhelmingly but no doubt a worthy successor will arise, in freeware :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Depending on how you use it, Roon can be and is a full system, not just top and middle. In my case I have a Windows 10 system dedicated to my music and the only thing that runs on it is Roon and it outputs to my DAC. The notion of interfacing it to a streamer and such is new.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi André,

Ah, I thought roon was a layer on top, not knowing that it also replaces the middle layer, being MPD. Thanks for that.
It seems that the Totaldac server is getting Roon ready.

Anyway, starting to understand the business model of roon, i.e. the cost to the user, I don't think I will give up mpad soon as I am basically quite happy with it, not overwhelmingly but no doubt a worthy successor will arise, in freeware :)

First, I will repeat, Roon is def. a good set up for some.

However, I see too much of the Apple model here. They want the user to adopt to their world view, and they want to tell the customer what is "better". It is not for me and I ended my trial this morning.
As you said, freeware will eventually appear. And Roon may evolve to give the customer more choice. I personally think it is far too expensive as well.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
First, I will repeat, Roon is def. a good set up for some.

However, I see too much of the Apple model here. They want the user to adopt to their world view, and they want to tell the customer what is "better". It is not for me and I ended my trial this morning.
As you said, freeware will eventually appear. And Roon may evolve to give the customer more choice. I personally think it is far too expensive as well.
I was highly sceptical of Roon but the more I use it the more enjoyable it becomes especially for a Tidal subscriber, for classical music, it is IMHO first rate.
Keith

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Have you tried it, Roon offer a free two week trial.
Keith.

Yes, I have. It is impressive. For someone who has not invested in a massive digital music library, it is a godsend.
I don't need it, but I am glad it is an option for audiophiles who want more than lossy streaming.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Andre,

In reading through the thread I understand your reluctance to use Ronn (or similar schemes). What I find most interesting about it is that it makes connections and digs up things I didn't remember I had on my library. When I am playing vinyl I have to both mentally and physically decide what I am going to play. With Roon/Tidal I either use the Discovery function or let it sort randomly through my library. If it gets to something I like I can decide to play the whole album if I want to. I also realize I am nowhere near as detail oriented as some who catalog their music.

Beau

Yes, I have. It is impressive. For someone who has not invested in a massive digital music library, it is a godsend.
I don't need it, but I am glad it is an option for audiophiles who want more than lossy streaming.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,

In reading through the thread I understand your reluctance to use Ronn (or similar schemes). What I find most interesting about it is that it makes connections and digs up things I didn't remember I had on my library. When I am playing vinyl I have to both mentally and physically decide what I am going to play. With Roon/Tidal I either use the Discovery function or let it sort randomly through my library. If it gets to something I like I can decide to play the whole album if I want to. I also realize I am nowhere near as detail oriented as some who catalog their music.

Beau
Hey Beau. Trust me, I totally understand the value of Roon for many users.

I guess I am one of those obsessives who know my music collection inside and out.

I have no use for the added service, but I realize not everybody is as nutty about their
music files as I am. It is all good.:cool:

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
For classical it is really first class, allied to Tidal, Roon allows you to choose a specific work, and lists all the various performances of that work, for a relative classical numpty like me comparing Du Pre and Starker to Rostropovich was really interesting, I really like it.
Keith.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I think its a price thing with Roon..one balks at paying so much for a user interface that really does nothing for SQ , you can get free UI's that also allow browsing and a lot more ..
Let me put it this way .. like paying $499 for DIRAC .. with REAL sonic benefits .. or a lifetime roon membership , which is just another way to browse your collection.. a nice to have, but I would buy Dirac first

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing