spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
WBF loves a comparison.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
tonight getting very basic.

Saskia/Tosca/Etsuro Gold/LFD phono cable + MoFi Sinatra box = musical bliss.

i've sampled this box many times but it was never like this. absolutely stunning. otherworldly involving with perfect tone and presentation. some degree of overcooked bass and less than ideal ambience of the past fully sorted out. a "holodeck" time machine.

the world drops away.....a cure for what ails you.

1610086066219.png 1610086147206.png

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello Mike, Congratulations on these improvements to your analog sound. Just when you think you are close, something like these new cables get inserted, and you discover something not before heard. You have not written much about your fourth turntable, the EMT948, though perhaps I have missed it. If so, could you point me in the direction of some posts?

It seems you are approaching your system destination. Do you have other improvements in mind, where to go from here? Do you feel you are missing anything from the variety of sounds you now get from your system with these four different combinations of vinyl sources? I am curious because of the fascinating thread Marmosa started about a "dream sound". Do you have one? It makes me wonder how someone like you who seem to be near the end of your audio investigations might respond to that thread topic.

Again, congratulations.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
tonight getting very basic.

Saskia/Tosca/Etsuro Gold/LFD phono cable + MoFi Sinatra box = musical bliss.

i've sampled this box many times but it was never like this. absolutely stunning. otherworldly involving with perfect tone and presentation. some degree of overcooked bass and less than ideal ambience of the past fully sorted out. a "holodeck" time machine.

the world drops away.....a cure for what ails you.
Posts like this absolutely thrill me. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike, Congratulations on these improvements to your analog sound. Just when you think you are close, something like these new cables get inserted, and you discover something not before heard. You have not written much about your fourth turntable, the EMT948, though perhaps I have missed it. If so, could you point me in the direction of some posts?
hi Peter,

thank you. somehow i've missed your thoughtful questions above until now. i apologize for that.

regarding my feedback on the EMT948 <-> Durand Kairos combo mostly what i've written about it is on the Miyajima Infinity Mono thread. honestly the EMT/Kairos is just an outstanding giant-killer combo that allows the 0.7 mil Infinity mono to soar. to put that in perspective the Infinity mono on stereo cutter head mono pressings easily surpasses my big buck Etsuro Gold combos on the CS Port and Saskia both with better cables into a better phono. anyway my earlier feedback is sprinkled through this thread.

It seems you are approaching your system destination. Do you have other improvements in mind, where to go from here? Do you feel you are missing anything from the variety of sounds you now get from your system with these four different combinations of vinyl sources? I am curious because of the fascinating thread Marmosa started about a "dream sound". Do you have one? It makes me wonder how someone like you who seem to be near the end of your audio investigations might respond to that thread topic.

Again, congratulations.
since you posed this question, you might have seen i acquired an Aesthetix Io Eclipse phono stage intended for my NVS/Tosca/Etsuro Gold turntable. the Io arrived at the Aesthetix factory today for it's voltage change and testing. once completed, this move essentially completes my intentions of having three types of turntables with high level arms/carts/phonos to live with and see what is my end game. i debated long and hard before i committed more assets to see where the NVS/Tosca/Etsuro Gold might climb. in the end i had to do it. if it does connect musically in this same realm that will be a happy day.

i would say that my vinyl listening these last 6 months or so is the highlight of my audiophile experience. the CS Port and Saskia, and to a lesser degree the Infinity Monos on both the EMT and NVS, have delivered musical magic beyond my expectations. my 'dream sound'. where almost every pressing is compelling and essential, involving and just a special experience. i've not really written that much about it. it is what it is.

the Saskia and CS Port are my ying and yang. yesterday i was playing one side of records on one, then the other side on the other. it was a staggeringly satisfying session. i had 10 new records and was able to get two great views of each. the CS Port is like a light from heaven revealing the most intimate textures and subtle shadings, immersing you in it's grace. the Saskia combo grabs you and shakes you, then throws meaty tone and great focus and PRAT at you. sucks you in.

i'm in a wonderful place right now in my listening (including my digital and headphones). next step is cull the herd a little once everything is in place. i have too much going on for my comfort zone, on the edge of chaos. i maybe pushed beyond where it's in balance. but i suppose until you get there you don't know you have gone too far?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i did just list this Saskia model two for sale here;

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Wow. Great table.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Shucks, no idler in your future, Mike.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is what you've been waiting for, Marc!

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm...
"Buy Bill's horns, no brainer"
"Buy those new Zus, you'd be stupid not to"
"Buy Mike's Saskia, life's too short"
...whatever next? Lol

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Never mind about me, Mike. I have my own demons to fight without the troublemakers on WBF getting involved.
The big Q is why you're dispensing with the Saskia.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Never mind about me, Mike. I have my own demons to fight without the troublemakers on WBF getting involved.
The big Q is why you're dispensing with the Saskia.
i knew i would need to answer this question at some point.:)

been fighting it but "need/want" another tone arm. or maybe two more. seriously considered adding a tonearm to the CS Port, but don't like that direction. so when i sell the Saskia, i will find a multiple tonearm turntable. plenty to choose from. don't expect to improve on what the Saskia does. but hopefully something in that realm.

hopefully this thread does not become "what tt should Mike get?", but go ahead and open a different thread and i will respect that. or not. just want this thread to be about the Saskia.....mostly.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, noone else has ever responded who owns Saskia. Hell, noone else has even heard one. As you know, Win didn't even see fit to respond to my requests for info.
It remains a "phantom" TT, your's seemingly the only one in existence.
So, you selling it means this thread effectively ceases.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, noone else has ever responded who owns Saskia. Hell, noone else has even heard one. As you know, Win didn't even see fit to respond to my requests for info.
It remains a "phantom" TT, your's seemingly the only one in existence.
So, you selling it means this thread effectively ceases.

We all love some mystery.

But it depends on who buys it.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And who has the others. Hell, ARE there even any others?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
And who has the others. Hell, ARE there even any others?

I know 2 other people with Saskia’s. It’s hard to buy a new one, takes lots of time and energy to connect with Win and go through the process. All word of mouth. No deals, every one bespoke. Direct with no middleman. So the product has built in restrictions to wide ownership and being forum fodder.

The CS Port was the same way 4 years ago. I had to run it down.

But there is a wide wide world out there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Brencho (Brent) has one in LA, and has also ordered the Dava. He is not active on the forum much

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing