SAT XD-1 Turntable Debut at The Audio Salon

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maier Shadi, proprietor of The Audio Salon in Santa Monica, California, is hosting Marc Gomez’ United States debut of the new SAT turntable:

“SAT presents the new XD1 Record Player System in the US at an exclusive event on June 1st from 12pm-6pm at The Audio Salon in Santa Monica, CA.

SAT's designer and founder, Marc Gomez, will go through the design and development of his latest CF1 and LM series of arms and explain the differences with the original SAT Pickup Arm. Gomez will also show the technical details about the XD1, explaining how a compact and minimalistic design can produce such a grand and effortless sound.

We have invited Michael Fremer to indulge the participants by presenting and playing some unique and amazing sounding records.

The XD1 will play on the Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic and Master Subsonic loudspeakers. Electronics by Dan D'Agostino Master Audio Systems, equipment stands by Harmonic Resolution Systems and wired together with Transparent Audio’s Magnum Opus cables. We will play our pick up arms with the Lyra Atlas SL and Ortofon MC Century cartridges.

This event will be an OPEN HOUSE (no rsvp necessary) with multiple presentations throughout the day.”

The Audio Salon, Inc.
@ The Bergamot Station
2525 Michigan Ave (Gallery F1)
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Phone: 310.863.0863

I definitely will be going! I am curious for the turntable debut, but I really want to hear again vinyl on the Wilson Audio Chronosonic system!

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sounds like an occasion. Do we have a price for the tt yet?

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I'm just a window shopper.
Yes, POA, but Sir, if you have to ask...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sounds like an occasion. Do we have a price for the tt yet?

Marc Gomez would not tell Fremer the price of the XD-1 in Munich when he asked him.....he said basically he is waiting for market feedback before he sets it. and that would happen sometime after Munich.

i'm sure that was calculated to get people to talk about it.

and they are.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Marc Gomez would not tell Fremer the price of the XD-1 in Munich when he asked him.....he said basically he is waiting for market feedback before he sets it. and that would happen sometime after Munich.

and they are.

Most probably he also wants to have an idea of the number of units he will be able to sell in the debuting time before setting the price - quantity strongly affects the manufacture price.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Most probably he also wants to have an idea of the number of units he will be able to sell in the debuting time before setting the price - quantity strongly affects the manufacture price.

I don't think pricing will have much to do with a cost multiple. Its all luxury priced for Asia.

Reactions: Al M.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

and they are.

Cost + whatever maximum profit he can get away with selling it for.:eek:

He needs gold trim for the Asian market

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I don't think pricing will have much to do with a cost multiple. Its all luxury priced for Asia.
You got it all wrong. It is never priced for Asia it is always priced for the manufacturer ;). Whether it is US or Asia, hi end is a luxury market. And once again the world is one single market. It is a product for the riches. You are also one of the riches otherwise you wont be looking for a pair of speakers cost as much as an automobile.

Tang :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is wrong we have as many high end luxury buyers here in the West as we have in the Far East if not more, the difference is that in the Far East and Asia people are more open with their hobbies and Westerners more private so you don't see as much on the net here as you would over there.

david

Reactions: amadeus

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Considering the AF0 was played in the same system last month, it should be reasonably easy for a level of comparison between SAT and AFO to be achieved.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
According to intelligence, the SAT XD1 turntable is to be sold together with a SAT tonearm as a set.
It's not sold separately but previous SAT tonearm owners are allowed to buy the XD1 alone.

I also heard that the price of a XD1+SAT tonearm set will be similar to or slightly higher than a Techdas AF1.

BTW all my LP audiophile friends in Hong Kong say that they have ZERO interest in the XD1.

Reactions: XV-1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Considering the AF0 was played in the same system last month, it should be reasonably easy for a level of comparison between SAT and AFO to be achieved.

A valid comparison like this is impossible if one wants to maintain any semblance of intellectual honesty about it.

Reactions: Al M.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i'll be watching for how much it exceeds the Technics retail price, plus retail on a Taiko Tana active system, plus decent plinth/arm board choice (all-panzerholtz might not be a bad way to go), plus top level arm.

with the CNC gear Taiko already has for doing their Dazia's from panzerholtz; doing a panzerholtz plinth/arm board for the Technics should be pretty doable.

the Tana will (very likely) better any other resonance control approach; but of course....there is more to a turntable plinth/arm board design than resonance control. but not much more. having an apparently SOTA drop in motor/controller opens up all sorts of possibilities. the XD-1 is only one of the first, it wont be the last.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Agree to what Mike said. If I were to go direct drive I would go all out with vibration management devices. Just the speed accuracy, stability and torque won't do. The cost of a Technic or NVS or Monaco with anti vibe devices probably will be in the same ball park as this tt.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Halcro

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Agree to what Mike said. If I were to go direct drive I would go all out with vibration management devices. Just the speed accuracy, stability and torque won't do. The cost of a Technic or NVS or Monaco with anti vibe devices probably will be in the same ball park as this tt.

Kind regards,
Tang

we don't yet know the XD-1 price. but we do know the Technics is $10k, the full Tana is $16k retail. if you allow $5k for a plinth, and $20k for an arm with DIN cable that = $51k at retail with zero discount. add an Adona rack for $2500 which is what i use.

an AF1 with Graham arm is over $100k.

if you already have your SOTA arm of choice then deduct $20k.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing