SAT XD-1 Turntable Debut at The Audio Salon

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A valid comparison like this is impossible if one wants to maintain any semblance of intellectual honesty about it.

Who said audiophile comparisons are valid? :)

Reactions: Al M.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A valid comparison like this is impossible if one wants to maintain any semblance of intellectual honesty about it.

Are you stating that Michael Fremer and Jason Heilbrunn lack any semblance of intellectual honesty?

Both these gentlemen stated in writing that the AFO waa the best sounding turntable that they ever heard. This after an afternoon session at the Audion Salon.

But they are incapable of comparing the SAT and AFO under the same conditions?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Couple pics of the SAT Turntable.

Personally, she is not my style...design wise. And I have zero clue how she sounds and how many dinero they want for it.

To me, she looks like a lunear tripod to collect rocks on the moon.
Some designs float our mojo, others rock our stereo, some land on planets of the galaxy and sat there like Mars modules collecting data.

Maybe she sounds marvelous, looks won't take that away from her, forever after.

What price of admission roughly, just to compare with others of similar financial caliber, and design?

* The vertical grey box @ right doesn't match with it.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Are you stating that Michael Fremer and Jason Heilbrunn lack any semblance of intellectual honesty?

. . . ?

Not even Sherlock Holmes himself could find in my post any reference to Michael Fremer or Jason (sic) Heilbrunn. I have no idea what you are referring to. So, no, obviously and of course I am not stating any such thing.

I do not know Jacob myself, but I know that he has a sterling reputation and I have friends who hold Jacob in high regard. I know myself that Michael is extremely intellectually honest.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

. . . comparing the SAT and AFO under the same conditions?

I do not consider two different turntables with different tonearms and different vinyl records heard weeks apart to be the "same conditions" or to qualify as a direct and valid comparison.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
Both these gentlemen stated in writing that the AFO waa the best sounding turntable that they ever heard. This after an afternoon session at the Audion Salon.

. . .

I, too, wrote that it was one of the best systems, if not the best system, I have ever heard in my life. I personally attributed most of the sonic amazement I experienced to the Wilson Audio Master Chronosonic and Subsonic speaker system.

As a general fan of planar speakers, and as someone who has never been a huge fan of Wilson speakers (except for Alexx with tube amplifiers, and Steve's system with Lamm), I still don't understand how that Wilson Chronosonic and Subsonic speaker system is as sonically transformative to my ears as it is. I thought it was absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Here she is again. For some peculiar reason the focus fell on the arm finish, apparently someone forgot to put their white gloves on :eek:

Attachments

• DSC_2119.jpg
    DSC_2119.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here she is again. For some peculiar reason the focus fell on the arm finish, apparently someone forgot to put their white gloves on :eek:
It is a reflection of the carbon fiber weave to light at certain angle. The original model has very little or none of that.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do not consider two different turntables with different tonearms and different vinyl records heard weeks apart to be the "same conditions" or to qualify as a direct and valid comparison.

Why will it be different records? Isn't it Fremer demonstrating this one as well, so he will get to choose his records like he did with the AF0?

Reactions: XV-1

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Which makes me wonder what people think about an audio reviewer receiving compensation for demonstrating a product. Is that okay?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Why will it be different records? Isn't it Fremer demonstrating this one as well, so he will get to choose his records like he did with the AF0?

And the same SAT tonearm and the same Lyra Atlas cartridge.:)

It will be interesting if they dare compare as according to Ron

Btw Ked, how do you compare all the different systems you have heard and maintain your intellectual honesty? ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

As Ked mentioned, Same DJ, Fremer. Same speakers, same amps, same tonearm and same cartridge.

Seems the only difference is the turntable.

You should already know this as you wrote about the AF0 under your review forum.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And the same SAT tonearm and the same Lyra Atlas cartridge.:)

It will be interesting if they dare compare as according to Ron

Btw Ked, how do you compare all the different systems you have heard and maintain your intellectual honesty? ;)

You compare in same system. Then change stuff around till you get consistency. Then repeat in another system. Extract consistent attributes of the component. This is usually toughest to do with analog related stuff, but Fremer is quite good at this

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not even Sherlock Holmes himself could find in my post any reference to Michael Fremer or Jason (sic) Heilbrunn. I have no idea what you are referring to. So, no, obviously and of course I am not stating any such thing.

I do not know Jacob myself, but I know that he has a sterling reputation and I have friends who hold Jacob in high regard. I know myself that Michael is extremely intellectually honest.

Ok, it seems that only WBF members who post in WBF can be guilty of not maintaining any semblance of intellectual honesty about audio ... ;) I am not Dr Watson and I could easily understand XV-1 point.

IMHO the whole story about " intellectual honesty" in this hobby is absurd. The factors that affect preferences and biases are so hidden and diverse that no one can be the judge of others "intellectual honesty". Surely YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Generally a guy like Fremer playing with SAT arm and Lyra which is his stock, with his own recordings, will get quickly to the bottom of if one of these tables has any shortcomings. Only if they are both excellent and at a similar level will he need to spend more time with both in the same system swapping around.

Edit: don't know if he used SAT and Lyra on AF0, if not, he will at least know how it SAT DD compares to technics and continuum.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Generally a guy like Fremer playing with SAT arm and Lyra which is his stock, with his own recordings, will get quickly to the bottom of if one of these tables has any shortcomings. Only if they are both excellent and at a similar level will he need to spend more time with both in the same system swapping around.

Edit: don't know if he used SAT and Lyra on AF0, if not, he will at least know how it SAT DD compares to technics and continuum.

Ked. Yes he did. That is why I mentioned it and why it will be quite easy for Fremer to have a handle of both tables. Same with JH.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/techdas-air-force-zero-turntable-preview/

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This million $ system is so much better than that million $ system. "And their was much rejoicing...yay"
What if "one of the million dollar system I would not take home for free. Too much space for so much noise"

Reactions: KeithR

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

It may or may not be different records. I doubt Michael wrote down a list of exactly what he played weeks ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing