SAT XD-1 Turntable Debut at The Audio Salon

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And the same SAT tonearm and the same Lyra Atlas cartridge.:)

During the demo I attended I think the Graham Phantom Elite was used mostly. This is why I wrote “different tonearms.”

Maybe Michael wrote down weeks ago which records he played with which tonearm/cartridge combination, and intends to replicate exactly the SAT/Lyra record list.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Which makes me wonder what people think about an audio reviewer receiving compensation for demonstrating a product. Is that okay?
To make a guest appearance for a demo isn't the issue my problem is with a compensated reviewer aggressively pushing wares of a particular dealer at the same time :rolleyes:.

david

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and Lagonda

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
To make a guest appearance for a demo isn't the issue my problem is with a compensated reviewer aggressively pushing wares of a particular dealer and writing rave reviews about them :rolleyes:.

david

If the compensation is from the dealer/manufacturer whose wares are the ones raved about, that's payola.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
To make a guest appearance for a demo isn't the issue my problem is with a compensated reviewer aggressively pushing wares of a particular dealer at the same time :rolleyes:.

david
MAKES ME WONDER WHERE YOU GOT THE IDEA THAT I AM BEING COMPENSATED FOR THIS. DID YOU MAKE UP THIS SHIT? Or pull it from some other wanker’s butt? I do not appreciate LIES spread about me by YENTAS.

Reactions: lordcloud

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Marc Gomez would not tell Fremer the price of the XD-1 in Munich when he asked him.....he said basically he is waiting for market feedback before he sets it. and that would happen sometime after Munich.

i'm sure that was calculated to get people to talk about it.

and they are.
I don’t recall that conversation. The price had not yet been set, true, but the “market feedback” part, not so much...

Reactions: lordcloud

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
During the demo I attended I think the Graham Phantom Elite was used mostly. This is why I wrote “different tonearms.”

Maybe Michael wrote down weeks ago which records he played with which tonearm/cartridge combination, and intends to replicate exactly the SAT/Lyra record list.

Ron, I am not being “compensated”. I am having my expenses covered. But even were I being compensated for making appearances in stores or for shlepping my records across the country or around the world, why shouldn’t I be compensated for doing this work? How many of the knuckleheads charging me with being “corrupt” work for nothing?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
MAKES ME WONDER WHERE YOU GOT THE IDEA THAT I AM BEING COMPENSATED FOR THIS. DID YOU MAKE UP THIS SHIT? Or pull it from some other wanker’s butt? I do not appreciate LIES spread about me by YENTAS.

You’re not named there was a question and a reply to a situation that can happen with any known reviewer in any industry.. My reply was that I don’t think it’s inappropriate if there was compensation as long as it’s not tied to aggressive marketing and follow up reviews associated with that business.

Ron, I am not being “compensated”. I am having my expenses covered. But even were I being compensated for making appearances in stores or for shlepping my records across the country or around the world, why shouldn’t I be compensated for doing this work? How many of the knuckleheads charging me with being “corrupt” work for nothing?

I don’t disagree with that premise business is business, anyone can push a button or spin a record there’s marketing value to inviting a known personality to do that job.

In regards to you this isn’t an accusation, lie or rumor but a matter of general perception. Fact is that you put yourself and your reputation out there for this brand like no other before to the point of getting into aggressive arguments with people over this brand’s unproven engineering claims in open forums when there was only one size. Now back to back appearances and endorsements for the same business associated with the brand. Again, I’m not judging or making accusations only explaining why there’s chatter.
david

Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I don’t recall that conversation. The price had not yet been set, true, but the “market feedback” part, not so much...

Michael, i very much loved your video. without watching it again if i will differ to your recollection about what Marc said to you. what i wrote was what i recalled. i know he said something to rationalize why he was not disclosing the price in Munich to your direct question.

when i have time i will go back and watch that part again.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can someone explain what checking market feedback to determine pricing means as a concept?

Like, seeing how consumers and dealers react to AF0 at $400k, or the purported $300k for Wilson Benesch GMT One, and pricing accordingly?

Or checking w dealers that sell to uber spendy buyers and asking what the market will bear?

Genuinely curious.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Cost + whatever maximum profit he can get away with selling it for.:eek:

He needs gold trim for the Asian market
No gold trim and Mike has made up the conversation. Marc Gomez never said any such thing to me.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Can someone explain what checking market feedback to determine pricing means as a concept?

Like, seeing how consumers and dealers react to AF0 at $400k, or the purported $300k for Wilson Benesch GMT One, and pricing accordingly?

Or checking w dealers that sell to uber spendy buyers and asking what the market will bear?

Genuinely curious.

It is something Mike MADE UP. No such conversation occurred.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
It is something Mike MADE UP. No such conversation occurred.
You’re not named there was a question and a reply to a situation that can happen with any known reviewer in any industry.. My reply was that I don’t think it’s inappropriate if there was compensation as long as it’s not tied to aggressive marketing and follow up reviews associated with that business.

I don’t disagree with that premise business is business, anyone can push a button or spin a record there’s marketing value to inviting a known personality to do that job.

In regards to you this isn’t an accusation, lie or rumor but a matter of general perception. Fact is that you put yourself and your reputation out there for this brand like no other before to the point of getting into aggressive arguments with people over this brand’s unproven engineering claims in open forums when there was only one size. Now back to back appearances and endorsements for the same business associated with the brand. Again, I’m not judging or making accusations only explaining why there’s chatter.
david

Everything you have just posted is ignorant and infantile. And untrue as well. First: Gomez has degrees and graduate degrees in material science and mechanical engineering. Compared to most turntable designers he is spectacularly overqualified. Your claim about me and this brand is absurd. I have gone out of my way to support and praise many brands I think make excellent products. I could name a DOZEN or more. And I can name as well the ones I don’t. In this case I am more supporting The Audio Salon and owner Maier Shadi than I am SAT because he has been helpful to me. At the last event I was “supporting” TechDAS not SAT. I gave the original AF 1 a less than enthusiastic review by the way. Your attempts to deflect and minimize the insinuations about me and my motives on this thread just don’t cut it.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Michael, i very much loved your video. without watching it again if i will differ to your recollection about what Marc said to you. what i wrote was what i recalled. i know he said something to rationalize why he was not disclosing the price in Munich to your direct question.

when i have time i will go back and watch that part again.
Perhaps we both should but I know he wants to avoid what happened to Continuum back in 2006 when they low balled the Caliburn price and it kept creeping up from $90,000 to $150,000. The amount of cynicism and foolishness in this thread is depressing. The SAT turntable is not an SP10R in a new plinth

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing