Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

My pleasure. It is so odd to be sitting here and having people act night and day different depending on which religion I go after. Here is John again:

index.php

Remarkable how these people sell their old pals the moment their audio beliefs/commercial interest become subject of discussion.

That's pretty funny.

Ahem, I have a question...

Since Amir admits in post 288 that he talks a lot of schiit, I would ask why we should believe that he is not doing that now???:rolleyes::D:D:D

OTOH, this is definitely the thread to do it in, just as long as we all are civil and can give their products a fair shake....:cool:

Since Amir admits in post 288 that he talks a lot of schiit, I would ask why we should believe that he is not doing that now???:rolleyes::D:D:D

OTOH, this is definitely the thread to do it in, just as long as we all are civil and can give their products a fair shake....:cool:

Hehe, what a name can do ;)

That's pretty funny.

Yep, I agree, it's humorous that Amir is over-reaching that I'm a 'pal' of his because I say I trusted his perception of what he heard.

Well his previous measurements of the Schiit were, eh ......... you know the rest

I will do that for you below. :)

First of all, your observations are very much incomplete. For almost a decade, I fought objectivists in the interest of subjectivists. You would have loved me then. :) Indeed I used to enjoy broad and great support from subjectivists to the point where Steve approached me to be his partner in creating this forum. You really think the person that you are painting me to be would have managed that?

Hi Amir,

It’s very likely my observations are incomplete. That’s why I stated they were observations, limited to my perception, rather than anything resembling a “fact” or “truth” as I mention in paragraph 3 (1). And whether you think you’re fighting objectivists or subjectivists is irrelevant to me, sorry. All that’s relevant to me is the degree to which you can acknowledge or eliminate bias. That this is yet another example of me attempting to draw your attention to that bias, with you neither acknowledging it nor attempting to eliminate it has been, and remains to be, the sole reason I continue to have these discussions with you.

It’s why paragraphs 2, 3, 4 and 5 of my post #284 above deal specifically and almost exclusively with the issues of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance, and not the reasons for why Steve approached you or what type of person you believe I might be painting you to be, neither of which are relevant to your (in)ability to acknowledge the aforementioned bias I and others continue to bring up, but do suggest a penchant for deflection. Perhaps had you chosen to discuss those issues, rather than completely omitting those paragraphs dealing specifically with the problem of bias as you’ve done here in your post above, you could have avoided cherry picking as you have in this and pervious threads, we wouldn’t be having this conversation, and you wouldn’t be having to deflect and re-frame the argument to avoid cognitive dissonance apropos your unwillingness to take responsibility for a bias that renders your pretensions to objectivity moot.

Take John. He could not smell enough of my poo and praise it while I was battling diehard objectivists. Here he is parading the results of me passing ABX tests in forums (pinkfishmedia) that I did not participate in:

(...)

"Credible conclusion!" Now that I act fairly criticising some of the mistaken things subjectivists believe in, all of sudden I am a no good SOB. Who do you think has the bigger bias for you to battle?

I am and have been an equal opportunity audio critique. :D Whether you are objectivist or subjectivist, if you take me on, then you need to do some homework and make sure your biases, like John's wish to sell products, or in your case, personal animosity, are put aside. Otherwise I will call you on it mixing it with what the reality of the situation is.

Again, attempting to draw the attention away from the issues I’ve put to you and offer names of others you consider better targets suggest perhaps an unwillingness to take responsibility for your conduct and a preference for scapegoating. I’d really prefer we keep our dignity (and language) above such behaviour, if we can.

Nevertheless, that you consider these exchanges motivated by personal animosity on my part, despite the fact I very clearly state:

853guy said:
“Notice I write that my comments relate to my "...observation of Amir here on this forum, and (...) his conduct...", not of him personally, whom I have never met, and only ever related to via this forum”

...suggests a proclivity for seeing my posts as a form of attack on you personally (i.e. “if you take me on” - your words) rather than an attempt at critique of your posts. That you cannot see a difference between the two is possibly largely the reason we are still having this discussion.

The reality of the situation? The reality of the situation is that you and I have engaged on several threads over the last couple of months specifically in the critique of your bias - every single one of which you have not been willing to acknowledge, and have instead, resorted to deflection, re-framing of the argument, doubling down on your bias, and now, in the last two threads, the misbelief that I have a personal agenda against you.

I have nothing - zero - against you personally, whom I do not know and have never met, as I made clear above. My intention is that I would like to be part of a forum in which bias is acknowledged and eliminated to the degree that it can be (sometimes called 'intellectual honesty'), as I also made clear above in the first line of my post and then expanded upon in the first line of the last paragraph.

As to Jon being here to sell products, is it a coincidence that you’re once again in a thread, posting results taken yourself, without controls, in a sighted evaluation, of a manufacturer’s product you do not sell and therefore do not stand to loose revenue via your custom installation business, or is it deliberate? (2)

A fact that you demonstrate in all of your posts about me. This thread is about a DAC and we are discussing ways to compare such products where all that we judge with is our ears. You contribute nothing to that other than more rock throwing from bushes toward me. Think about why you can't shed that emotional need. Think why it is eating you up as to raise the noise floor of this and other thread with posts that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. That would be taking your own lesson.

Like I believe I posted to you only a few days ago, I try not to make assumptions about anything, and I certainly try to avoid calling things “facts” that are no more than perceptual observations. That you have here in regard to my emotional needs and its effect on my soul again do you discredit. Again, Amir, I have no interest in writing posts about you personally. Only the bias your bring to your multiple posts here. So I leave you with what I posted in another thread you did not respond to two days ago:

"I’m neither hiding in the bushes, nor throwing rocks. I’m here, in plain sight, attempting to point out the selective exposure and fallacy of insufficient sample size you’ve been observed engaging in on multiple threads, which appears to serve little purpose except perhaps to reinforce a pre-existing bias."(3)

It is, of course, very possible I am wrong, which is why I continue to contextualise my comments via the framing device of my observations, limited to my perception. That several others here on this forum have voiced similar concerns to mine in this and other threads does not prove I am incapable of delusion, but it might possibly suggest your bias is as obvious to them, as it seems to be to me.

Time will tell whether the multiple justifications for your conduct continue to accumulate, in which the biases of selective exposure, fallacy of insufficient sample size, generalising from the particular, and avoidance of cognitive dissonance result in further deflection, re-framing and self-victimising.

853guy

P.S. That you posted results taken yourself, without controls, in a sighted evaluation, of a manufacturer’s product you do not sell and therefore do not stand to loose revenue via your custom installation business is very much on topic for this thread as is the "objectivity" of your analysis, and I am not the first to bring that up.

(1) “The latter is an example of what Daniel Kahneman calls “fast thinking” and the way consciousness is wired toward producing instantaneous responses to problems - not because they are the most appropriate or valid response, but because they are responses that most closely meet pre-existing systematic biases that are then justified via a process of selective rationalisation, and then often given alternative monikers such as “truth”, “facts” or “science” in order to double down on that bias.” Quote, mine, post #284.

(2) http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ting-products!&p=450979&viewfull=1#post450979 Yep, this is pretty much exactly the type of bias I've attempting to flag with you, and pretty much exactly the type of bias you continue to engage in, despite the multiplicity of those biases, and the unwillingness to acknowledge them.

(3) If you feel this thread is an inappropriate forum for the discussion of the above, I welcome you to respond to my post in this thread here, which so far, you have not yet done: (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...orth-big-bucks&p=456513&viewfull=1#post456513). I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Actually, Davey started the thread, so I don't really care *). I enjoy the debate anyway. Good point about the "white paper", Amir.

________

*) thanks again, Davey, for starting this Schiit thread (or Schiit of a thread ;)). Result: I have an Yggy at home :)

Hi Al,
Would be real good to be able to get your thoughts on the Yggy, how it sounds, what other dacs it most reminds you of and most importantly what music it makes you want to play and get some beneficial and hopefully positive vibes coming out of this.

thanks
Graham

Hi Al,
Would be real good to be able to get your thoughts on the Yggy, how it sounds, what other dacs it most reminds you of and most importantly what music it makes you want to play and get some beneficial and hopefully positive vibes coming out of this.

thanks
Graham

+1

I would be interested in your thoughts on this as well.

Hi Al,

thanks
Graham

Hi Graham, and Davey,

the Yggy makes me want to play any music, chamber, orchestral, vocal, jazz, rock, you name it. A good component must not prefer any music over another, and this is one not an exception. The Yggy has both balls and finesse.

Which other DAC does it remind me most of? Interestingly, my own Berkeley (standard Alpha 2, not Reference). It is uncanny how similar the two units sound, also in their spatial presentation, even though they are different toplogies. One Delta Sigma, the other R2R Multibit.

However, the Yggy may be even more exuberant and enthusiastic in its music reproduction, something the Berkeley already excels in (and in that department leaves a few lesser DACs in the dust). And as great as the rhythm & timing of the Berkeley is, the Yggy may be even better, including with even more articulate bass. Also, the Yggy may have a bit more mid-bass slam (on one track I an very certain of that, and I strongly prefer the Yggy there). I need to do more comparisons, also long-term (what a concept ;)) to be more certain of all that. But first impressions, so far so good; in any case, I find the music making of the Yggy incredibly engaging and involving (I guess I find myself in agreement with Robert Harley on this point).

(I had the Yggy for a few weeks now, but hadn't listened for a while because my Pass B1 buffered preamp needed to be modified as to adjust it to the high input sensitivity of my amps.)

Thanks Al, that gives me some great reference points.

I had an Aqua La Scala mk2 with La Diva transport on loan for a couple of months from a mate who was thankfully renovating his sound room.

I miss the R2R full mesh sound. The La Scala responded beautifully to isolation and mass loading and I did wonder how much the less than massive chassis was contributing to the sound. But it did play music with a fantastic sense of spirit for sure and on well recorded live albums did build quite a life like stage and had all the presence of the captured atmosphere fully fleshed out and sounding utterly present. Plus it had at times a kick ass sense of dynamics and scale when the music had it in it. But sometimes I felt the chord as a simpler fgpa architecture was a bit more coherent still.

I would love to be ultimately torn between something like an Aqua Formula or maybe even a Lampi GG but my more reasoned (modest) finances probably lend themselves to a more humble solution. Hope to get to hear a yggy sometime. Thanks for the description, very helpful.

Cheers
Graham

Hi Graham, and Davey,

the Yggy makes me want to play any music, chamber, orchestral, vocal, jazz, rock, you name it. A good component must not prefer any music over another, and this is one not an exception. The Yggy has both balls and finesse.

Which other DAC does it remind me most of? Interestingly, my own Berkeley (standard Alpha 2, not Reference). It is uncanny how similar the two units sound, also in their spatial presentation, even though they are different toplogies. One Delta Sigma, the other R2R Multibit.

However, the Yggy may be even more exuberant and enthusiastic in its music reproduction, something the Berkeley already excels in (and in that department leaves a few lesser DACs in the dust). And as great as the rhythm & timing of the Berkeley is, the Yggy may be even better, including with even more articulate bass. Also, the Yggy may have a bit more mid-bass slam (on one track I an very certain of that, and I strongly prefer the Yggy there). I need to do more comparisons, also long-term (what a concept ;)) to be more certain of all that. But first impressions, so far so good; in any case, I find the music making of the Yggy incredibly engaging and involving (I guess I find myself in agreement with Robert Harley on this point).

(I had the Yggy for a few weeks now, but hadn't listened for a while because my Pass B1 buffered preamp needed to be modified as to adjust it to the high input sensitivity of my amps.)

Thanks Al, that is very interesting. BTW, have you heard the more 'up market' DAC's, like MSB Diamond Select or the Lampi GG or the Berkeley Reference? I am curious how the Yggy would compare to the likes of these multi $$ DAC's...if at all!

You're welcome, Graham and Davey.

As for coherence, I don't hear any issues with the Yggy (as with the Berkeley). Yes, the Yggy has tons of dynamics too (but so does the Berkeley). As for scale, I do think the soundstage is even wider on the Yggy on some orchestral recordings. One thing to note: the Yggy is currently running straight from the wall. The Berkeley runs from an excellent power conditioner (Tice Power Block II), which gives it an advantage; I know that it sounds with more resolution from that than straight from the wall (The Tice runs at 220 V still from my time in Europe, and the Berkeley is the 220 V version; I can't put my 110 V Yggy on it). I did order a 1000 W high-grade Tripp Lite isolation transformer (for medical equipment) for the digital front end (I ordered from Jet.com where it's even cheaper, but this link has a good description),

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IS1000HG-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B00008YMZO

let's see if that improves the Yggy (given my experience with power conditioning I'd be surprised if it doesn't, I have also read a report that it does).

I heard the Berkeley Alpha Reference, the dCS Rossini and the dCS Vivaldi. What the Yggy can't do like these, as can't the standard Berkeley Alpha, is decode not so good digital recordings in a way that makes them sound much more highly resolved (I have a 1986 Hungaroton CD of Bartok's sonatas for violin and piano (Kremer/Smirnov) that sounded stellar on the first two of these DACs where I tried it on). The Yggy also doesn't shine as much on saxophone, which is notoriously difficult to reproduce on digital, even though it is very good (caution: I am cross-referencing over different systems here, which can be dangerous). About general resolution on great recordings, compared to these DACs, I can't say much, I'd have to hear the Yggy head to head with them in a highly resolving system. However, on good recordings orchestral violins sound very refined and micro-detailed with the Yggy in my system (on plain Redbook CD). I am actually really loving how orchestral strings sound on my system since I have the ZenWave D4 interconnect made by DaveC:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?22942-ZenWave-Audio-D4-Interconnect

I expect even more improvement with the ZenWave SMSG speaker cable which I will get to hear shortly. It will be interesting to then do more comparisons of resolution between the Berkeley and the Yggy (with the Yggy then also sitting on the Tripp Lite isolation transformer).

I heard the Berkeley Alpha Reference, the dCS Rossini and the dCS Vivaldi. What the Yggy can't do like these, as can't the standard Berkeley Alpha, is decode not so good digital recordings in a way that makes them sound much more highly resolved (I have a 1986 Hungaroton CD of Bartok's sonatas for violin and piano (Kremer/Smirnov) that sounded stellar on the first two of these DACs where I tried it on).
This signifies to me that the Yiggy & Alpha standard don't tick the correct ASA (auditory scene analysis) boxes - these are the cues we hear in the structure of sounds which we perceive as natural - if these are reproduced correctly the illusion is good even for the CD you exampled.

It's good to have examples of such CDs which separate the wheat from the chaff in playback systems

Thanks Al, that gives me some great reference points.

I had an Aqua La Scala mk2 with La Diva transport on loan for a couple of months from a mate who was thankfully renovating his sound room.

I miss the R2R full mesh sound. The La Scala responded beautifully to isolation and mass loading and I did wonder how much the less than massive chassis was contributing to the sound. But it did play music with a fantastic sense of spirit for sure and on well recorded live albums did build quite a life like stage and had all the presence of the captured atmosphere fully fleshed out and sounding utterly present. Plus it had at times a kick ass sense of dynamics and scale when the music had it in it. But sometimes I felt the chord as a simpler fgpa architecture was a bit more coherent still.

I would love to be ultimately torn between something like an Aqua Formula or maybe even a Lampi GG but my more reasoned (modest) finances probably lend themselves to a more humble solution. Hope to get to hear a yggy sometime. Thanks for the description, very helpful.

Cheers
Graham

For what it's worth, I compared the Aqua Formula to my dCS Vivaldi DAC. I really liked the Aqua's full body and closer presentation compared to the Vivaldi's mid-hall presentation, but the Aqua didn't resolve detail as good as the Vivaldi.

. I did order a 1000 W high-grade Tripp Lite isolation transformer (for medical equipment) for the digital front end (I ordered from Jet.com where it's even cheaper, but this link has a good description),

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IS1000HG-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B00008YMZO

let's see if that improves the Yggy (given my experience with power conditioning I'd be surprised if it doesn't, I have also read a report that it does).

I expect even more improvement with the ZenWave SMSG speaker cable which I will get to hear shortly. It will be interesting to then do more comparisons of resolution between the Berkeley and the Yggy (with the Yggy then also sitting on the Tripp Lite isolation transformer).

Where did you hear about the Tripp, Al? I am not familiar with it.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the ZenWave speaker cables. I would like to try them as well.

This signifies to me that the Yiggy & Alpha standard don't tick the correct ASA (auditory scene analysis) boxes - these are the cues we hear in the structure of sounds which we perceive as natural - if these are reproduced correctly the illusion is good even for the CD you exampled.

It's good to have examples of such CDs which separate the wheat from the chaff in playback systems

To me it just indicates that their decoding is not as powerful as to correct for issues in the CD encoding.

It says nothing how about how they sound on well mastered CDs -- great that is. ASA has nothing to do with that, imo.

To me it just indicates that their decoding is not as powerful as to correct for issues in the CD encoding.

It says nothing how about how they sound on well mastered CDs -- great that is. ASA has nothing to do with that, imo.
You are saying that some playback decoding "corrects" for issues at recording? Can you explain this, please - what issues?

What I'm suggesting is that there are some low level factors which auditory processing picks up on & which signals to the perception that all is correct with that sound - the factors are still to be worked out but I can assure you that they are not uncovered by the current standard measurements (I'm sure your suggested mechanism will not appear in measurements, either)

What your example shows, IMO, is that there are aspects of that CD recording which upset all but the most pristine playback systems - so these factors are a good tester for how playback devices deal with such marginal issues

BTW, ASA has everything to do with everything you hear!

Can you describe the difference you hear in the CD playback on dCs (or Alpha ref) Vs Yiggy or how the Yiggy doesn't do sax believably - what are you hearing?

Edit: I think I see what you are getting at - the physical CD pits & lands are not well defined on the CD & some CD mechanisms are better able to handle this i.e introduce less jitter
But this has nothing to do with the DAC unless you are saying that the jitter of this CD reading is handled better by some DACs than by others?
This I could agree with but I would want to test this by copying the CD to hard drive with 100% error free copying & see if the same differences between DAC playback was observed.

I would also think that such encoding/decoding issues would be measureable - have you asked Amir to examine this?

Last edited:
Just as one accused of being a former poo-sniffer of Amir - can any of you current poo-sniffers tell me what you find is enticing about Amir's poo compared to other's poo when tested blind?
Never having sniffed his poo, I have no idea what is enchanting in it.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing